Tilled my gardens today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

IRISH

mother nature gave us folks here in SW Michigan a 70 degree, sunny St Pats day today. :) .

normally, there is snow on the ground at this time. looks like spring is upon us. i could'nt be happier at this time of year.

we will still have many mornings below freezing, so no planting outside for awhile still.

i put old carpets on my gardens in the fall after all is harvested, and tilled up. when i remove the carpets in the spring, i till them again, and theres no weeding this way.:) .

getting things going in the house to be put out soon. a bit of everything. even going to do some peanuts this year. we have to get them out as early as possible, cause they go something like 4 months. i love boiled peanuts...bb...

banjobuzz said:
mother nature gave us folks here in SW Michigan a 70 degree, sunny St Pats day today. :) .

normally, there is snow on the ground at this time. looks like spring is upon us. i could'nt be happier at this time of year.

we will still have many mornings below freezing, so no planting outside for awhile still.

i put old carpets on my gardens in the fall after all is harvested, and tilled up. when i remove the carpets in the spring, i till them again, and theres no weeding this way.:) .

getting things going in the house to be put out soon. a bit of everything. even going to do some peanuts this year. we have to get them out as early as possible, cause they go something like 4 months. i love boiled peanuts...bb...

:postpicsworthless:

well i wanna see the carpeted garden :cool:

Man, I wish I had that forsight, I spent my warm saint aptties day (I ain't too far from ya) weeding instead of tilling! It was a great day none the less!

What you plantin???

I've never heard of putting carpeting in your garden. That must be a heck of a mess in the spring, wet ,heavy ,muddy. I put down black plastic to make sure that no early season weed seeds (the bad kind) germinate. On top of that I throw down a 2inch layer of compost. Today I'm going to put a clear plastic over the green house structure so I can get my small plants outside. I started a bunch of tomatos, peppers, and herbs under flouros and they've grown alot larger than I had antissipated.
What sort of soil condittions do you need for peanuts? That sounds interesting.

Man I ordered a bunch of seeds a few weeks ago so I could start early, and they're still not here! The website gave an interesting reason for why though:

Dear Gardening Friends,

This is always our busiest time of the year and currently our orders are exceptionally abundant. Due to the economy, the movement to produce locally, and concerns about food safety are motivating factors for this surge.

Ha, just mentioned that cause I'm jealous of all of your early start cubby!

:rofl: ^

i'm going out to cut the lumber for me new grow room (flower+veg:) ), so i'll take the cam , and get a few pics. 1 is finished, 1 is started, with several more to be tilled.

i'll show you a piece of the carpet i've had for quite a few years cubby. when i remove them from my garden, i put them over my worm beds, and soak 'em down.:hubba: the worms love it cooled down in june, july, and august.;) . it's my double duty carpet.:D .

ok, i'm off...bb...

blancolighter said:
Man I ordered a bunch of seeds a few weeks ago so I could start early, and they're still not here! The website gave an interesting reason for why though:

Dear Gardening Friends,

This is always our busiest time of the year and currently our orders are exceptionally abundant. Due to the economy, the movement to produce locally, and concerns about food safety are motivating factors for this surge.

Ha, just mentioned that cause I'm jealous of all of your early start cubby!

I started my garden last fall when I finnished harvesting last falls crops. Acctually, I think I started my garden 24 years ago when I bought this house. I don'nt think my gardening ever really stops. In the spring I till, plant, and mulch. Through the summer I water, weed, and harvest. Come fall I harvest, compost, Plant garlic and clean up. In winter I plan next years garden, order and start seeds, and stare out the widow impatiently.
Growing MJ over the winter helps me keep my sanity.
Gardening is the only hard labor I can think of that you can actually look forward to.:D

banjobuzz said:

I am doing the same this weekend, bro. I am south of you just a bit and the weather has been wonderful. Really looking forward to getting out and planting my garden.

Good luck on the peanuts...been toying with planting some...got to love boiled peanuts and beer!

Take care!

banjobuzz said:
:rofl: ^

i'm going out to cut the lumber for me new grow room (flower+veg:) ), so i'll take the cam , and get a few pics. 1 is finished, 1 is started, with several more to be tilled.

i'll show you a piece of the carpet i've had for quite a few years cubby. when i remove them from my garden, i put them over my worm beds, and soak 'em down.:hubba: the worms love it cooled down in june, july, and august.;) . it's my double duty carpet.:D .

ok, i'm off...bb...

So..... Where's that worm carpet pic......?

:D here it is bro. first pic is my worm 'garden'. i lightly till it, mostly turn it with a rake, and pitchfork. clean out all the limbs that fell from the olive bushes.

pic 2. i cover that with clean leaves. i throw alot of stuff in there all year. i'll add shredded news paper, and more leaves to it soon.

3 is the 'worm carpet':hubba: . i fold this back, and soak 'er down, then just lay 'er back over the bed, and hose the carpet down. it stays dark, and cool, and i got fresh bait all summer.;) :cool: . the bait shop here sells red worms ( leaf worms ), $4.00 US for 3 dozen. i don't think so. its a never ending supply right in my side yard.

4. threw some wood on 'er to hold it there til i soak it. been having real high winds.

5. a few of my garden plots gett'in worked. had to go it alone today again, my 'lil woman ain't been feel'in well.

annndd 6... what goes good with a worm garden, and veggie garden?

some MP Bud of course...bb...:D :cool: ...

100_4049.jpg

so..... did you really break out the tiller, or did you put the f - 350 in 4 low and let the mud terrains do the work? i'll post some tilling pics this weekend.
lookin' good bb,

cc

So tell me.....Can you different kinds of worms with different kinds of carpet?
Say..maybe inch worms with indoor/outdoor, Or possibly nite crawlers with high pile, I wonder what you would get with some of that 70's orange shag ?

Thanx for the pics I'm gonna' try this out behind my garage, should work pretty good there it's already moist and shady.

like i said cubby, when i harvest the garden completely, these rugs go back over them for the winter. we'll mix in whatevers available, usually horse chips, with some of our home brews soaked in there, and cover them completely.

i'm movin slow today, real slow. gotta work out the soreness, and go help clean out a brothers horse barn. he plants his gardens exclusively with horse dung. i bring a load, or two back with me, for some compost'in.

i slip a plant or two up in 'tween my corn. all the neighbors i have are friendlies. older folk. i carry 'em fresh produce every year, and they in return, mind thier own.

two seasons ago, one neighbor from up the road, walked out back to the garden. never seen 'em 'til he was beside 4, ten foot sativas', admiring the crop.:eek: . old guy. he was needing some tomatoes, and my pico de gallo recipe. he knew exactly what he was seeing. he had cancer. he went home with a gift that day. lost him this past thanksgiving to pancreatic cancer. his widow, asked me at the funeral, if i could help her out with the ;) ;) pico recipe. she has cancer also...bb...

Sorry to hear about your neibhors, relly sux.
But on a more positive note, your beds look nice. Are you in USDA zone 4 ?
Have you ever made compost tea from the horse apples? I have horses and fowl and use their droppings in a compost tea recipe an old guy down the road gave me. I put all the turds in the legs of a pair of leartards ( not so sure of that spelling) ,drop them in a 55 gallon plastic barrel, (black heats up best) and fill it up with rain water and let it soak for a minnimum of 3 days.
After 2-3 barrels full of tea I throw the leartards on top of my compost pile for the summer. the rain washes thru them and attracts nite crawlers and bennificial bugs( praying mantisis, lady bugs etc.) surprisingly though no flies.
Just wondering, do you do anything to attract bats? Over this past winter I made some bat houses I'm gonna put up and give to some neibhors. They eat mosquitoes and other pests. Anything that eats skeeters is more than welcome around my house. I don't know about Michigan but in Minnesota out mosquitoes get as big as California Condors. They ought to be the state bird...LOL.:D

why, thank ya art! i'm sure red would be real proud of me too.:hubba: .

now, if i could just remember, what it is i was try'n to remember. hmm.

oh, my back. yes.

after working the garden yesterday, and cleaning the barn today, i'll be hit for a few days. ouch. be walk'in round the house with a spray bottle, dosing the girls is about the limit i'll have. that, and maybe spread'n some 10-10-10 on the garden. a little goes along ways now a days.

glad ya got to come over, and learn somethin new art.:hubba: :D :cool: ...bb...

we've been plantin in our garden already, since i had to stop growing my smoke im just gonna grow other things. we have already planted cabbage, onions, tomatoes, sweet corn, beans, peppers and patatos. im gonna try to put down some zuchinni in the next few days. down here in the south the weather has been perfect for planting.

can't wait to see what your garden grows. enjoy

cool slowmo. i lived in mississippi for 10 years. our garden season there was much earlier than up here. ya know, i tried potatoes down there, and they never produced. no clue. a least you can combine your mad mj grow skills to the garden, eh buddy?

yeah cubby, i'm in zone 4. we can't actually put a plant in the ground 'til good friday. and thats when the magic happens. couple more weeks.

i have steeped dung teas a time or two cubby. we add the brer rabbit blackstrap molasses to all our gardening teas.:hubba: :D .
you should hook me up with a pic of a bat house. i have hundreds here. you should see them in the early eve, after i mow the grass. the ducks give 'em a run for thier money.;) .

our state bird is the robin, and it should be the horse fly.:rolleyes: .

thats funny its the robin, 'cause down south, thats like a delicatesan (sp?). robin jumblaya.:D .

do need to locate some 55 gal. drums. i mix each dose in 5 gal buckets now. it would make it much easier. don't the leotards get expensive? i use old corn sacks, or onion sacks...bb...

Hey BB. what does the molasses do for the tea? How much do you add per gallon?
Leatards aren't expensive at all, a friend of mines wife runs a dance studio and every time someone quits they leave behind a bunch of pairs and she gives them to me. The first time I asked her for them she looked at me really wierd. That night she asked, her then new husband, what kind of wacko I was. When he told her what I wanted them for she laughed her butt off. She thought I was some kind nut job pervert.

we done sweet patatos last year and they done real good. they just spread like crazy. this will be our first year doin regular patatos but we put them out real early since they take so long to get any size on them.

i've heard of people stackin tires and filling them with dirt and planting patatos in each tire section. then when they want to harvest some they just remove a tire and the patatos are right there.. i might try this way to see how it works out.. i'll keep you posted if i do.

im really wanting to see how my tomatoes turn out this year since the squirles ate them last year.

Latest posts

Back