Timers....keep breaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk.step14

Reaction score
I have been through 3 timers on my current grow and its only 2 weeks in!! the first timer i used was fine for my last two grows im my old house but burnt out straight away in my new place. They have all bin manual timers the latest being the 24 hour pin timer variety, it says its max load is 3,120w... im running only opne 400w HPS, whats going wrong??! can anybody reccomend me a reliable (and cheap if possible) timer that won't last 2 days then break.
Cheers TK

Just buy a higher quality timer. Not the $5 manual timers.

I have a Brinkmann digital timer. Pretty inexpensive and haven't had any problems out of it. Got it at Walmart, but couldn't find it online anywhere.

yeah im in uk so no wall mart, gonna be a B&Q job this lunch time i think! the only wierd thing is that the cheap ones worked fine in my old house...... dodgy electrics in new place maybe?! but yeah thx gonna spend a little more on a digital one i think, can't be getting up at 6am to switch them on anymore its killing me!!!
tk

tk.step14 said:
I have been through 3 timers on my current grow and its only 2 weeks in!! the first timer i used was fine for my last two grows im my old house but burnt out straight away in my new place. They have all bin manual timers the latest being the 24 hour pin timer variety, it says its max load is 3,120w... im running only opne 400w HPS, whats going wrong??! can anybody reccomend me a reliable (and cheap if possible) timer that won't last 2 days then break.
Cheers TK

:hubba: I used the brinkmans for several years, the batteries needed replacing and they all eventually died, so now I have those old push-pin GE timers and havent a worry and they have been around the house here for 20-25 yrs, still going. Some thing are better if kept simple, eh. ;) JMTCW

i think it was a 13amp one (thats off the top of my head tho)... thanks for the replies everyone, roll on the next timer...fingers crossed eh!!
TK

Look for one with a higher amp and joule's rating. I noticed some timers could handle 15 amps but lower joules not only that but look at its peak load or spike load or whatever its called. The timer is most likely crapping out when your lamp first fires up because of the massive power spike it creates, could also be indicative of a problem in your ballast if you are running a magnetic ballast. Look for a timer thats meant to run heaters or for plugging your vehicle in, it will say outdoor timer or heavy duty timer on it. I got 3 push pin timers and run a 400 watt HPS on one a 600 watt HPS on another and a 400 watt MH on the third, never had one fail (looks around and knocks on some wood). Just because it says its rated for 15 amps doesn't mean it can handle the harsh load created by a ballast firing up especially if you are using magnetic ballasts. Barring that you could have dirty power as they say but odds are your computer would be the first to tell you about that. You would be blowing power supplys and frying boards.

Do you have everything on one timer? Might want to put your light on one, your exaust and fans on another one to reduce the load on each timer

The time switch shall be a solid state electronic control capable of permitting 8 ON/OFF set points to be distributed on a daily schedule. The time and set points shall be programmable to the nearest minute with a minimum ON duration of 1 minute and a maximum ON duration of 23 hours and 59 minutes. The timer shall have a digital LCD readout to show time-of-day using 12 hour AM/PM indicator. The time switch shall provide a manual override control for both temporary or permanent override. Time switch shall operate over a temperature range of -40°F (-40°C) to 155°F (68°C).

An industrial grade AA alkaline battery shall protect program information and time-of-day for a minimum of 3 years. Switch configuration to be __________ (SPST) or (DPST) with a UL listed rating of:

30 amp Inductive/Resistive, 24/120/240 Volts AC, 60 Hz

20 amps Resistive, 28 VDC

1 HP, 120 Volts AC, 60 Hz

2 HP, 240 Volts AC, 60 Hz

5 amps Tungsten, 120/240 Volts AC, 60 Hz

20 amps Ballast, 120-277 Volts AC, 60 Hz

The time switch shall be powered by a __________ (120 volt), (120-277 volts) 50/60 Hz source. The time switch shall be enclosed in a lockable steel NEMA 1 rated enclosure. The time switch shall be UL listed under UL category 916 Energy Management Equipment and shall be INTERMATIC Model __________.

ET171C.jpg

these industrial timers can be made to feed contactors so the lighting load does not pass thru them. the contactor will eliminate your timer fry problem.
its a job for the electrically inclined, but i could talk ya thru it. better yet ill draw a diagram and post it later.

Heres what I use. These little babies are tried and true. This one has been in continuous use for about two years. Under $20.00 US, digital, and indoor outdoor so its water/humidity proof. Also has two plug ins so two seperate things can be run with one timer.(always nice) Got it at "The Pot", but I'm sure they sell them in hardware stores on your side of the pond as well. IMO Much Love.

420 488 (Large).jpg

420 341 (Large).jpg

Yeah I remember you used that relay or whatever in your grow, not sure I really understand how it works, maybe you (growdude) or clanchattan can write up a detailed tutorial for the rest of us and stick it in your DIY section explaining how everything works.

trailer,

I use the same timers,,, I just have more of them... I have 1 timer for lights, and one times for exaust and ventilation, and one for my window AC unit....3 timers for all that....

Thanks for all the good info put up, in the end i went for the envirolite 24-hour HD IP44 Greenhouse Timer only £10 and so far so good!

'Heavy Duty Mechanical Timer for use in a Greenhouse Environment.
Ideal for use with one 600 watt HID light or up to six 200 watts Envirolites
IP44 Splash and moisture proof for Greenhouse and Grow room use
Setting times from 15 minutes to 24 hours
I Year manufacturers Warranty'

If your running a cheap set up like me i would highly reccomend it.
TK

I'll post a pic of mine when i get home bud, but go digital, they have a relay that is more durable, me thinks! i paid like 25.00 bucks at home depot, but search the interwebz, you should have no prob finding something, I will shoot you some links later when i have more time. you gotta pay to play bud, those timers are going to end up costing you more than 1 quality timer. hope this helps!

yeah i went to my local hydro store to try sort it but they always have the same answer: "oh yeh we will have those in next week, just run out".......... yeah right... lazy stoners! lol, but atm the envirolite one is workin and has bin for a week.. only time will tell how long it lasts.. a week is a hell of alot longer than the 20mins the ones from b&q lasted.

@JBonez cheers mate some pics/ links would be usefull
TK

I had a digital timer but not realize it had a battery backup so after a year or so went away for a while and there was a power cut so the time reset itself to OFF :( I did not know about that litle battery that backed up the power
:-| But the manual ones are naff best invest....Dont need so much equip so the stuff ya use invest in and ya be high rest ya life ;)

Wow man what timers ;) Id love one for my wife and kids ....JOke

Peace

Latest posts

Back