Timing problem-need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey Agogo

Hot Chick
Reaction score
I've got 10 plants all vegging 24/7.

6 are 6 weeks old and ready to flower. The other 4 are 3 weeks old and need a few more weeks of vegging.

Here's the dilemna: I am leaving town for 2 weeks. I don't have the luxury of a veg room AND a flower room and don't have the time or resources to make that happen before I go. And I really need to get my 6 mature ones flowering so I plan to set the light timers to 12/12.

So what will happen to the 4 young ones who are vegging if they are switched to the 12/12 cycle? :confused: Can I return in 2 weeks and return them to veg or will I be causing some hermie action here?

I know I could just keep the status quo and keep all plants vegging for another 2 weeks, then start the 12/12 cycle upon returning from town. BUt I'm getting desperate and need to get things going. So what will happen to my 4 little guys?

Well, you'll have to see when you get back if you don't have an option. The lil ones don't need much light, why not put them in a place where you can have 24 hour light?

It won't cause them to hermi but it'll confuse the **** out of them. In the end it will slow over all growth, diminish yield and quality if reveged. Your really won't lose much yield if you flower them all now so I say just toss them all to flower if you're really in a rush. The young'ns will continue to mature during flower. Not the best thing to do but can be done need be.

Whiskey Agogo said:
I've got 10 plants all vegging 24/7.

6 are 6 weeks old and ready to flower. The other 4 are 3 weeks old and need a few more weeks of vegging.

Here's the dilemna: I am leaving town for 2 weeks. I don't have the luxury of a veg room AND a flower room and don't have the time or resources to make that happen before I go. And I really need to get my 6 mature ones flowering so I plan to set the light timers to 12/12.

So what will happen to the 4 young ones who are vegging if they are switched to the 12/12 cycle? :confused: Can I return in 2 weeks and return them to veg or will I be causing some hermie action here?

I know I could just keep the status quo and keep all plants vegging for another 2 weeks, then start the 12/12 cycle upon returning from town. BUt I'm getting desperate and need to get things going. So what will happen to my 4 little guys?

Uhmmm... you going to go without watering?

laylow6988 said:
Well, you'll have to see when you get back if you don't have an option. The lil ones don't need much light, why not put them in a place where you can have 24 hour light?

I only have 1 set-up...it's either got to go 24/7 OR 12/12.

DLtoker said:
It won't cause them to hermi but it'll confuse the **** out of them. In the end it will slow over all growth, diminish yield and quality if reveged. Your really won't lose much yield if you flower them all now so I say just toss them all to flower if you're really in a rush. The young'ns will continue to mature during flower. Not the best thing to do but can be done need be.

Do you think the young batch will flower after only 3 weeks of vegging? They arent very big--about 6 inches high and just getting their 5th set of leaves.

Yeah they will flower but yield will be minimal. I really think you should bu a few CFLs for when you gone to let them veg more. That is real small man.

Since there really isn't any choice, just flower the entire bunch and write off the little ones if they're too young to flower.

This is an interesting subject. I see lots of posts from people who want to fit the growth characteristics of marijuana to their human time tables. It never works. You either have the ability to grow weed or not. It takes time, effort and proper care to grow. It isn't "just a weed" any more.

I've seen posts where people say "I only have a maximum of 2 feet in height and I'm only home every other weekend. How can I grow weed?"

The answer is "You can't". Not properly anyway.

Marijuana needs to be sexually mature before flowering. That's when it has alternating nodes. Usually around the 6th week of vegetative cycle.

Your 3 week old plants may flower, but I doubt it. Re-vegging them will cost you a month. It would be better for you to time your next grow so that you can take care of them until they finish.

Good luck to you man, I hope it all turns out well for you.

I feel for you man. I once had to just unplug my system and let the crop die because of a family emergency. That kind of thing happens.

Be VERY CAREFUL about letting others know you have a crop and having someone else come in to do your chores. Sometimes good friends aren't good friends forever.

Stoney Bud said:
Since there really isn't any choice, just flower the entire bunch and write off the little ones if they're too young to flower.

This is an interesting subject. I see lots of posts from people who want to fit the growth characteristics of marijuana to their human time tables. It never works. You either have the ability to grow weed or not. It takes time, effort and proper care to grow. It isn't "just a weed" any more.

I've seen posts where people say "I only have a maximum of 2 feet in height and I'm only home every other weekend. How can I grow weed?"

The answer is "You can't". Not properly anyway.

Marijuana needs to be sexually mature before flowering. That's when it has alternating nodes. Usually around the 6th week of vegetative cycle.

Your 3 week old plants may flower, but I doubt it. Re-vegging them will cost you a month. It would be better for you to time your next grow so that you can take care of them until they finish.

Good luck to you man, I hope it all turns out well for you.

I feel for you man. I once had to just unplug my system and let the crop die because of a family emergency. That kind of thing happens.

Be VERY CAREFUL about letting others know you have a crop and having someone else come in to do your chores. Sometimes good friends aren't good friends forever.

Hey thanks, Stoney. Yep its a family emergency that is taking me out of town unexpectedly. Otherwise I'm here every day to tend to things.

And I'm with you...this is not a chore that I would entrust to anyone else, hence my dilemna.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice.

Here's another option, granite it's not one that is well liked but an option none the less.

Get rid of them and start over a fresh when you return. :(

DLtoker said:
Yeah they will flower but yield will be minimal. I really think you should bu a few CFLs for when you gone to let them veg more. That is real small man.

My problem is my grow room. I have a cleaning lady plus someone else coming over daily to bring in the mail and feed the fish. My grow closet is like Fort Knox...It is a locked and heavily insulated closet. The room is windowless, 5x8---originally, but with all the padding (to absorb odor, sound, light) plus fans and exhaust etc..the grow area is only about 3x6. Usually when I flower, I take the flowering plants out of that closet for 12 hrs in the eve and put them in another dark spot in the house--then I return them to the grow room for the 12 of light, etc, etc.
With people in my house, I can't risk another set up outside of that closet.
And I'm afraid that if I have a 24/0 set up going on in the same room, the light may leak out and screw up my budding plants. Need 2 rooms in the future....or no emergencies that require I leave town.

Latest posts

Back