to much lumens ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eezee

Reaction score
can i harm a few days old little plants with extra lumens ? i have one (waiting for the others) under about 4000lm from cfl's which should be enough for allmost a sq/f ,right ? so should i put less light ? allso , i put the light now, while it is still small , about 4-5" away and was thinking get the light closer in few days.
i would love to hear your opinion on this issue.
thanks in advance ,
eezee.

There is no such thing as too many lumens. Just too much heat from the lights. 4-5 inches sounds fine to me.

I put the plants under florescent first so it will give the rooting system time to develop slower. rather than hit it off with my 600w at first.

There is no such thing as too many lumens. Just too much heat from the lights.

Is this right? I thought I read someone saying their HID lights were too powerful (lumen wise) and harmed seedlings. Never really looked into it because I use fluos..

There must be some point of 'too much', many plants can only handle certain limits, but I'd assume it's not of any worry indoors.

eezee said:
can i harm a few days old little plants with extra lumens ? i have one (waiting for the others) under about 4000lm from cfl's which should be enough for allmost a sq/f ,right ? so should i put less light ? allso , i put the light now, while it is still small , about 4-5" away and was thinking get the light closer in few days.
i would love to hear your opinion on this issue.
thanks in advance ,
eezee.

Consider the fact that you are competing with the sun here.....I can not say for sure how many lumes the sun produces but it is an amazeing amount. You will not even come close with an HPS/MH system. The more the mary. Although the more heat that is created the watering and nute watching you will have to do.

Your babies will let you know when something is wrong. Read their looks on a day to day basis and post if something is off. We will help you through it. Good luck homes:cool:

choking_victim said:
I put the plants under florescent first so it will give the rooting system time to develop slower. rather than hit it off with my 600w at first.

why not?? I did.. then upgraded to 1000W MH/HPS.
and I ended up with 4ft Low ryders. Harvested one and yielded
almost 2 oz's, after the dry.. Currently in cure jars.

BTW:.. If I remember correctly.. The SUN is like 175,000 lumens
per square foot on a sunny day, and like 90K cloudy/overcase.
Dont quote me, Im not sure. But I did ask the question about
the sun, when i was a green noob.

Worse part of HID lighting is the heat. on my next grow, im buying
a vented hood for mine..

thank you all very much !
amazing numbers for the sun lumen.... i guess i can put the whole light store in there without harming them :)

I read on here somewhere that you cannot overkill on lumens, but the plant will only obsorb what it can. So you might be wasting money for no reason!?!

Stoneybud should chime in, I think it was in one his posts I read this in.

I know which post your talking about I'll try to dig it up. or hopefully stoney has it bookmarked.

but artifical light is different than sunlight and its affects on biology.
here is an interesting read about over-illumination and what the adverse affects are.
The higher the wattage the more radiation is produced without the protection from the upper atmosphere. A lot of the suns radiation is deflected...while having a 1000W HID is not filtered as much. Plus heat is always an issue with the higher wattage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-illumination

Latest posts

Back