To soon to switch to flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SR1239

Reaction score
Right now I have three plants that range 4" tall and 8" wide. Long story short, I started them out in really crappy soil and let them get root bound stunting their growth. This is my first grow and i've learned a lot from it. The plants are about a month old. I transplanted them 8 days ago and they have tripled in size sence then.

OK here is my problem. This is a closet grow at my apartment and I will be going home for christmas break (college) in mid december so I will not be here to take care of them. Well that only leaves me about 2 and a half months to flower them and harvest. So my question is how tall/big do these plants need to be before put into 12/12? I'm thinking I will need to put them into flowering in about 2 weeks, by then they will probably only be 6-8 inches tall. Is that too small?

You could put them into 12/12 from seed if you wanted to...that being said....a plant will not bud until it is sexually mature by the age of your plants I would say after a week or two in flower you should see sex.. The longer you veg, the bigger the yield...

if they are 6 inches they could double or triple in height once flipped to 12/12. If you have 2.5 months i say start flowering now....youll have enough time to flower and dry....

I agree with N2C.

I think you should put them into 12/12 soon. IMO, you are better off with fewer buds that were allowed to mature and dry correctly than you are with more bud that is not mature.

Ok I will probably put them into flowering next week. But how big/tall do most growers let the plants get before putting in 12/12?

all depends my friend...I have 8 foot ceilings...some use closets some fridgerators...how much space do you have after lights at the highest point...the devide that by 2...thats a start point..IMO..Good luck

Don't put them in 12/12 until they are mature enough to produce !

They need to be 12 - 16 inches tall first.

You can also tell by looking at the nodes, they should be alternating and not directly acroos from each other if the plant is mature.

If the nodes aren't alternating don't put them in flower, it stresses the plant out too much and you might just kill it, turn it into a herm and ruin the grow, not just produce less buds................

I flower my plants at 6-8in tall and there fine always. I understood that you can flower cannabis pretty much at any age. I have space issues as well so after I flower there 12-18in at harvest.

la9 said:
Don't put them in 12/12 until they are mature enough to produce !

They need to be 12 - 16 inches tall first.

You can also tell by looking at the nodes, they should be alternating and not directly acroos from each other if the plant is mature.

If the nodes aren't alternating don't put them in flower, it stresses the plant out too much and you might just kill it, turn it into a herm and ruin the grow, not just produce less buds................

They will do just fine if you start flowering now. 12/12 from seed is a very common practice. I normally veg for a month then it's into flower, no matter what size the plant...(and different strains are different sizes too, a Lowrider is gonna be much smaller than say a sativa dom. strain)

New_2_Chronic said:
You could put them into 12/12 from seed if you wanted to...that being said....a plant will not bud until it is sexually mature by the age of your plants I would say after a week or two in flower you should see sex.. The longer you veg, the bigger the yield...

if they are 6 inches they could double or triple in height once flipped to 12/12. If you have 2.5 months i say start flowering now....youll have enough time to flower and dry....

so once you see sex you should flower?

you could do that....

I put mine into 12/12 before they were mature. 1 week later they all showed sex. Males were chopped and females were put back into Veg.

This takes a little while longer. My plants took a week after putting them back in veg before they even started growing again...Butr then vegged for another month and now they are back in flower....

Latest posts

Back