Trim Shade Leaves? Help Me Pro Growers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeAFool2

Reaction score
This is my second go round since my teenage years some 35 century ago :).

First 7 days into flowering. If these pictures work, my question is this. Should I trim these large SHADE LEAVES to let the light go through. This particular setup is 3 400W Lights, hydro, still at apprx 500-600 ppm (should I bring that down to 400?)

I want the pro's guidance. I have read too many YES and NO's in so many threads, seems like the members here are pretty rational with responses. I am talking only the large noting on the stem but the one shade leaf, sorry if I sound dumb about this, I am.

Thank you, hope I did this right.. Oh yeah, if it makes a difference in your answer, I think I want to try that cold ice method to do that hash bag thing I read about in the forum for that.

pppDSCF7164.jpg

pppDSCF7166.jpg

pppDSCF7167.jpg

IMO there is no need to trim especially with 3 x 400 lights. Thats plenty of light in you space, by prunning your not going to accomplish anything worthwhile in regard to bud size except maybe delaying growth a day or two from shock. Some people may dissagree but ive never trimed/prunned etc, mother nature doesnt have a pair of snips for plants in the wild.
Like I said, just my oppinion.

If you are to trim anything- trim the lower shoots that have small flowers on them but are not getting any light- you can save them for your bubble hash (the ice / hash bag thing)- that will leave more energy for your main colas-do not trim the fan leaves as they are the energy producers of your plant- can't help with your hydro questions, I'm a soil guy- ask Andy52 for advice there.
Good luck with your grow.

Hmmmm fan leaves are like solar cells. The more there are, the more energy the plant has. From your pictures, it looks like you have a dense canopy. Light is not going to penetrate too deeply. so lower grow that would become light airy popcorn buds, is a waste in my mind. there is an art to pruning for growth and big buds. let me see if i can find a picture.because sometimes a picture is better than a long drawn out explanation

thank you all so much. I might add two 250 Watts I have sitting around and toss those at the sides to see if I can come up with much lower. I have LEDs, but I am intentionally doing this with 3 400W HPS and one smaller than this by one tub with LED Only 3 90 over top and two coming from the sides.

I just did a water change and bumped the nuts to a bit over 600, next water change I will go up a bit more and then whatever week it is, I have it written down, to boost it to like 1200ppm then when like 2 weeks before harvest, plain RO water. I think at 4 weeks out, I will start adding the Koolbloom.

thanks everyone! not trimming but yellowing on the bottom

I trim some to let air circulate better, I find when I do not thin them out I usually get problems with powdery mildew and if you get bugs your screwed. But its really upto you.

Latest posts

Back