trimming the underbrush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trichnut

Reaction score
its week 3 of bloom in the room now and its a freek'n jungle in there.
there are 18 plants under 2000 watts of light.
was just wanting to know from comparable growers how you guys are trimming up your lower leaves and branches and how much you hack off.
I believe that with all these lower leaves and lower buds hacked out of the way I would get much better airflow to the buds that are closer to the light and can therefor perform photosyntheses more efficiently. Like everyone im just trying to get the best yield out of what i got.
please let me know your thoughts and how you agree or disagree what what i have to say.

What people say is very correct, especially in your situation with alot of plants close together. People usually cut the bottom branches off so the energy going to the those little popcorn buds will go up to the big cola's you got on top.

lol yeah, dont start trimming your plant if its only 8 inches tall :p Although on mine when they were little a few got attacked by bugs, and the very bottom leafs turnd yellow, so those i just cut or pulled off, and if anything it def made them happy.

here is a pic of the jungle... the hacking is going to start.

IMG_1400small.jpg

ahhh... its a breath of fresh Co2 :)
its hard to believe that its the same picture minus all the underbrush

IMG_1403small.jpg

sorry guys for bringing up an old post but didnt want to start a new so thought id bring this one up as its the same situation, i have 3 plants in my room and they are massive they have over growin my room and 1 is the same height as me, can i trim all the small branches and leaves at the bottom, will this stun growth and lower yield if its stressed, i need to hack of maybe 20-25% of the lower branches so the upper 3rd of the plants get more light, there is very very little light getting to the bottom so thought they should be chopped, what do u guys think

trim half of them one week and the other half another week or 2 down the road thats what i did i didnt want to shock the plant

yeah i dont want to shock the plant so thought id ask the pros here first, so doing this shouldnt affect yield or quality should it, im gonna do what puffthemagicdragon said will this be ok??

A couple of facts for all of you:

1. If the leaves are green, they are helping the plant grow. The light collected from green leaves is used on the entire plant, not just where the leaf is. If the leaf no longer gets enough light to help the plant, it will die and turn brown and fall off. There is never any reason to trim sun leaves from a plant. Anyone who says there is, is misinformed. It's not something that will do anything to help the plant, despite rumors. Show me one real study that promotes that and I'll print out this post and eat it.

2. Taking more than 30% of the plants mass at one time has a real good possibility of creating a hermaphrodite. The removal of a large portion of the plant will do absolutely nothing for you and will harm the plant.

3. Trimming lower leaves is a myth. It isn't supported by any real evidence of studies or facts. It makes the plant "look" better to the grower. That doesn't mean anything to the plant. It grew those leaves for a purpose and if you take them off while they are still green, you've just defeated the plants purpose for growing them.

If you have placed more plants into a grow area than that area will properly support, move some of them out of the grow area. Don't harm all of your plants because you didn't plan correctly.

Please folks, think ahead. Plan your grow properly. Do not go with weird ideas that are broadcast on the net with absolutely no real evidence of being effective. Ask before you do it. It'll save you some problems.

For those who have already done this terrible thing; good luck to you. I hope you haven't caused any hermies.

So if its GREEN its in..................................
If its brown its out...................
Simple ........
I have the same problem.....as long as I clear up the dead & dying on a regular basis the plant itself will keep the number of leaves it needs......:)

wow thanks stoney bud thats why i thought id ask first lucky for me i havent done nothing to them yet, thanks man you probably just saved my entire grow from me stuffing it all up

Stoney Bud said:
A couple of facts for all of you:

1. If the leaves are green, they are helping the plant grow. The light collected from green leaves is used on the entire plant, not just where the leaf is. If the leaf no longer gets enough light to help the plant, it will die and turn brown and fall off. There is never any reason to trim sun leaves from a plant. Anyone who says there is, is misinformed. It's not something that will do anything to help the plant, despite rumors. Show me one real study that promotes that and I'll print out this post and eat it.

ever since i have clipped leaves i have notice a 15%-20% increase in my yield. its all a balance. if you take away this leave will it give more light to what is underneath and will it be better than what could be gained by leaving that leaf.
We all do things a little differenty but i know that this is better for the plant. better light to the mid and lower plant and better airflow.

Latest posts

Back