Trimming Water Leaves?!?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lTizZLel

Tony the tyga
Reaction score
i am currently in the veg stage and have some huge water leaves that are blocking light below... should i trim it off? would it damage the plant?

this is going to be a mother... so surely it shouldnt effect the budd yield from the clones

I wouldn't trim them off as they are the solar power collectors for the plant. Even though you are using it for a mother plant, you may still decide to flower it out, plus it does affect the overall health of the plant every time leaves are removed. One thing that I have noticed from personal experience is that any time lower growth is removed, it causes the upper part of the plant to stretch and grow upward. If you are wanting to keep the plant for a mother then you don't want tall growth, you want bushy growth. For that you would top or FIM the plant rather than cutting off lower stuff.

I would not pretty much cause I heard somewhere that those big leaf should stay there untill a few weeks into the 12/12.

I saw a video where the guy just tucked those leaves under the bud sites. I know you said mother plant but could you do the same? Just tuck them under whatever you are trying to get light to?

it wont hurt....I strip the lower half of plant in Veg...and also Defoliate in flower...:aok:

Lollipopping and removing fan leaves are 2 very different things in my mind. Most people trim the lower part of the plant, taking the entire branch. IME, stripping just the leaves off a plant does not increase vigor in any way.

I was told to never pluck your leaves,unless there dead, It's food for your plant that's for sure.

:rofl: and My Dad was told Aspestos was way of future

Hushpuppy said:
For that you would top or FIM the plant rather than cutting off lower stuff.

What do you mean by FIM the plant?

:yeahthat: FIM technique is similar to topping the plant but creates a different outcome. With topping you typically cut the top out and will get 2 new main stems coming up rather than just the one. With FIM you don't cut out the top, only cut out about 2/3 of the top most bulb of growth. This causes an unusual affect. It makes the plant react by driving all of the lower secondary branches straight up in a race to be the top most cola. During this transition in growth, the plant stops its upward growth so that the lower branches can catch up. Depending on how vigorous the growth of the plant is, you can buy a week or two before the highest point of the plant starts going up again. It also has the added benefit of creating multiple top main colas which produce the bigger buds. :)

homediggie said:
Shows how much you actually Know :ignore:
Wait a minute kiddo ! We are just telling you what BAD INFORMATION does to a person. Grow on dude.

homediggie said:

I'm a newb here so take this for what it's worth, there are a lot of great people here with a wealth of knowledge they share freely. In fact I would be comfortable saying there are some master growers here, smoke being one of them. Your statement about never trimming leaves is too broad as it depends on what your desired result is. Many, many methods of bringing our girls to maturity all of them can be correct if they achieve the desired result. Personally, I am a student so I follow this mantra, ask, listen, learn. I doubt there will ever be a day when one has nothing left to learn. When all else fails I follow this simple philosophy; it is best to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt! That's for me. Be safe and grow well!

"it is best to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

Dang nabbit just knows I shoulda keeps me mouth shut!!! ;)

Well said pilgrem

BWD

Hushpuppy said:
:. With FIM you don't cut out the top, only cut out about 2/3 of the top most bulb of growth.

If FIM is cutting 2/3 of the new growth then what is the percentage that you should cut when topping your plant? Great info by the way thx!

KP419 said:
Hushpuppy said:
:. With FIM you don't cut out the top, only cut out about 2/3 of the top most bulb of growth.

If FIM is cutting 2/3 of the new growth then what is the percentage that you should cut when topping your plant? Great info by the way thx!

go back and look at the link pcduck gave....your not taking 2/3 the plant...just 2/3 of the "new growth" from top...:aok:

take care and be safe

homediggie said:

shows I know more than you..if this is only help you can share in here....keep reading.....rookie:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back