UFO-- LED light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybuds

Reaction score
They say the light is equal to a 400 HPS. Its only 90 watts. Does anybody use one? its 600 bucks with no heat.

JB:D

I've only read a few things in High Times about this.. Apparently there was a 10% increase in yield compared to a 400 MH I believe. The plants also suffered stretching with the UFO light, but that's a small price to pay using only 90 watts and getting just as much as a 400 watt bulb, eh? :cool:

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
I've only read a few things in High Times about this.. Apparently there was a 10% increase in yield compared to a 400 MH I believe. The plants also suffered stretching with the UFO light, but that's a small price to pay using only 90 watts and getting just as much as a 400 watt bulb, eh? :cool:

There are a few who think you need "all" the light from a HPS or flos not just blue or red or both.Alienbait is one..I have something i need to ask.a 400 watt HPS is 50,000 Lumens. my 6 tub 54 watt T5 Ho are 5,000 lumens a tube(30,000). if i put 10 together will that 50,000 lumens be the same power of the 50,000 lumens in the HPS??????

Well, you would have 50,000 lumens yes but your wattage would be 540 going at 54 watts a bulb. HIDs always seem to beat flouros in the lumen to watt ratio. But you should remember... If you have any light leaks, you won't be giving your plants the full 50,000 lumens.... Just a thought.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Well, you would have 50,000 lumens yes but your wattage would be 540 going at 54 watts a bulb. HIDs always seem to beat flouros in the lumen to watt ratio. But you should remember... If you have any light leaks, you won't be giving your plants the full 50,000 lumens.... Just a thought.

So a 400 watt HPS is better it seems. i think it might even be less to run??

There are a lot of factors that come into play when choosing your lights... Way too many to even list. I strictly use T5s and have wonderful results with using both 6,500K bulbs and 3,000K in a 1:1 ratio throughout all stages of growth.

When growing herb inside, I like to keep many small plants growing rather than a few full size ones. This means my plants really never get larger than 12" tall. So, I like to have a sea of small plants bunched together... With the even distribution of light expelled by the T5s and being able to keep the light within an inch of the canopy, I get very uniform growth and still get great yields. So, what can I say...? It works wonders for me and I will never go back to HIDs.

Floros are fantastic for sog or scrog methods due to the even canopy and being able to keep the lights within an inch of the tops. I use a 400 watt and 150 watt hps at the moment and I couldn't be more pleased. They aren't that much to buy or run and the lumen output is great for medium sized plants. I would never buy led lights without seeing some more results from them. They are too expensive for my budget anyhow. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe everyone.

smokybear said:
Floros are fantastic for sog or scrog methods due to the even canopy and being able to keep the lights within an inch of the tops. I use a 400 watt and 150 watt hps at the moment and I couldn't be more pleased. They aren't that much to buy or run and the lumen output is great for medium sized plants. I would never buy led lights without seeing some more results from them. They are too expensive for my budget anyhow. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe everyone.

Smokybear

Whats the "Scrog Method"?? Why dont you use just one Light like a 600 watt??

johnnybuds said:
TI have something i need to ask.a 400 watt HPS is 50,000 Lumens. my 6 tub 54 watt T5 Ho are 5,000 lumens a tube(30,000). if i put 10 together will that 50,000 lumens be the same power of the 50,000 lumens in the HPS??????
you wont have the penetration of a HID which you need, so you loose soo much you dont even know... I think its pointless to even grow marijuana, if you arnt flowering with HPS. dont get you panties all bunched up... just any good indoor buds that you can buy at any medical marijuana dispensary, isnt flowered with CFL or T5 not to say some arnt vegged with.....:hairpull: sry guys, just hate floros, unless you like chitty weed, not saying its impossible, but if you took those exact genetics, and flowerd under HPS, you be amazed:eek: its the method where you flower a bunch of small plants, pulling branchs up threw a horizontal wire wall, every branch competes to be the top in this style grow, so your buds gettttt insane! the canopy is flat, and you remove anything below that doesnt make it threw the wire.. check around, ive seen some pretty nice setups.

headband said:
you wont have the penetration of a HID which you need, so you loose soo much you dont even know... I think its pointless to even grow marijuana, if you arnt flowering with HPS. dont get you panties all bunched up... just any good indoor buds that you can buy at any medical marijuana dispensary, isnt flowered with CFL or T5 not to say some arnt vegged with.....:hairpull: sry guys, just hate floros, unless you like chitty weed, not saying its impossible, but if you took those exact genetics, and flowerd under HPS, you be amazed:eek: its the method where you flower a bunch of small plants, pulling branchs up threw a horizontal wire wall, every branch competes to be the top in this style grow, so your buds gettttt insane! the canopy is flat, and you remove anything below that doesnt make it threw the wire.. check around, ive seen some pretty nice setups.

Headband
I'm going for a 400 watt HPS very soon. You all have made alot of sence to me the last couple of days.

:48: :smoke1:

I rock dual 400w HPS and MH throughout my grow, from start to finish.

I have a small area to grow (5'x3') and minimal hight (4' max) My canopy is Amazon like because I grow my plants almost sideways.

I get strong, healthy, sturdy plants that yeild good tasting potent sticky bud.
I have never had the same results for flowering under flouros.

I do however swear by them for veg, especially cfl's from the aquarium sector.

True, you can have the bulbs closer to the buds, and the overall temp of the grow room is cooler...

...Like headband said, you don't get the penatration.

Now, someone (DLtoker) who is going for a "Production Line" style grow (eg. Scrog or Sog) I would recommend using CFL's for that.

BUT...if you plan on having bigger plants and have the space, money and ventilation...HID lighting is the way to go. You just plain can't grow big, strong plants under strictly flouros. They just aren't powerful enough to penatrate.

The Effen Gee said:
I rock dual 400w HPS and MH throughout my grow, from start to finish.

I do however swear by them for veg, especially cfl's from the aquarium sector.
quote]

I use the Silverstar T5ho 54 watt grow lights with 6.400 kelvins.they do better the the 3.000 kelvin bloom tubes.

HPS is on order.:D

could i just ask, you all say that cfl, or flouros does not have adequet penetration for growing normal marijuana plants from start to finish, and i have worked that out too by reading many forums on useing cfl to grow, but if you where growing lowrdyer#2, or you where using LST+SCROG mix, do you think this would be an appropriate light source?

never wrote on a forum b4, so excuss me if i seem like an idiot :)

:hubba: Somewhere on here, I think it was that silly 600w vs 1000w thread, someone mentioned LUX, not just lumens. I seem to recall they said that LUX was a measure that equates to penetration value. This is an important issue if you grow with space concerns. I started with the flouros and mercury vapor lights, then HPS came along around 1990 and I havent looked back, other than a brief look at cfl's.

The penetration or coverage radius is all important to the indoor grower. 22 inches for a 400w, 33 inches for a 600w, and 53 inches for a 1000w keep your plants flowering within the radius and you both will be happy. Lumens rock, but LUX rules.:cool:

passtheblunt said:
never wrote on a forum b4, so excuss me if i seem like an idiot :)

Sweet first time post:D Heres the blunt:48:

Latest posts

Back