Veg with 800w and flower with 400 w???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdog4

Reaction score
Hello all, I having been veggin my 8 plants under 2 400 w mh and switched to 12/12 tonight. I now have them under single 400 w hps, Is this gonna be a problem? I know 400 watts is enough for my 3' by 3'6 by 6' area but i wasnt sure if my plants get acustomed to 800 watts and 400 wouldnt be enough. Please let me know since i started flower today, any pros i sure would appreciate it.

Hey timdog - I'd bring one of your 400 MH in the mix. You'll get the lumens you need, and the difference in spectrum is way less important than the difference in lumens.......

It is not "bad" to flower with a MH. The HPS is of choice, but a 50/50 mix of lights would not be detrimental to your plants. Very beneficial, IMHO.

**EDIT - didn't see the small area..........Sorry man. 400 is good enough for your space. Your choice.

Thanks potbelly, I was gonna use the other 400 watt mh for starting some new seeds so i have some ready to flowere after these. The hps is switchable ballast so i was using both of my lights. My question is, Will my plants do okay by cutting lumens even though in reality they still have enough lumens. I have 4 100 watt hps lights I got from work. Check out the pic, maybe I should incorporate a couple of these.

IMAG0111-1.JPG

The key to your grow is 5,000 lumens per sq ft. If you have a small growing area, smaller wattage HPS spaced evenly across a plant canopy maximizes your lumen disbersement.

Running 4 100 watt HPS is not as electrically efficient as running 1 400 Watt light. It is, however a very good way to light a small grow space.

i like the mh/hps combo idea. that'll get you those fat nugs.

How many r you growen? And how much do you get and it all for you?

im running a 400 w MH with wing reflector, and a 400 watt wing reflector with the hortilux ruper red bulb and my plants are happy as hell TONS OF LIFE sprouting all over, new growth where there shouldnt even be growth!!!!

here is the difference ina week of having the hps and mh together, the mh was first, these plants are 53 days old ALL FEMALE
the first picture was 11 days ago....been watered 3 times since then with problend organic veg nutes, and anywhere from 21 to 16 hours of light a day in descending order...check out my gj im updating it as we post.
green love

growin and kilo 001.jpg

growin and kilo 008.jpg

With that small grow area, I think the 400watt HPS will do them just fine. I'd say go ahead and veg some more and get them ready for when these are harvested.:)

but why not run dual spectrum it wont hurt the plants and if they have the other lights why not use em...more lumens never hurt anyone;)
it could only benefit the plants...ur bill will go up more but its worth it in the end....and i have my ballasts sitting outside the actual grow area....i am sure most people doooo. so my temps stay pretty reaonable with the 2 three speed fans i have in the closet, creating small tornado......i better not foliar spray in there while those fans are going might start a hurricaine in my closet LAFF:hubba::hubba::hubba::hubba::hubba:

Latest posts

Back