verbal agreements hold up in court?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GrewUp To ScrewUp

Okay I lived at this hotel for ten months. While I was there i met this kooky couple. He bought a car from another person who left the hotel and then he said he would sale it to me. but the girl kept EDIT FOR LANGUAGE and could not find the title for him. I got tired of it because his wife said that the woman diddnt want her number out when i told them to just give it to me. I called him everyday for updates. But now he says hes tired of it and will keep the car. his stupid family claimed he put too much into anyways. but we had a verbal agrrement. can i have the car force sold to me thru court once the girl puts the title in his name? they kept hanging up on me when i tried to call them. should i record him saying that he was gonna sale me the car but doesnt want to anymore? can i win this? the pigs stole my 1st VW and im not gonna let this baby go espcially since i already got the harmonic balancer for it. my moms car broke down too so she could use an extra. what can i do? i wasted spring break hoping for this car. help!:confused:

i suggest you look elsewhere man, seccond hand cars are fine if chosen carefully, but if he doesnt wanna sell you it, no matter what he said previously theres nothing you can do.. after all its his, and he can do what he likes with it... lol...

the thought of you going to court and saying "yeh but he said hed sell it to me, and I WANT IT!!!" makes me laugh man... lol..

Time off from work, court costs...all for a used vw? Mark it up to experience man and move on. Courtrooms are like cops; It's best to stay away from them.

the_riz said:
i suggest you look elsewhere man, seccond hand cars are fine if chosen carefully, but if he doesnt wanna sell you it, no matter what he said previously theres nothing you can do.. after all its his, and he can do what he likes with it... lol...

the thought of you going to court and saying "yeh but he said hed sell it to me, and I WANT IT!!!" makes me laugh man... lol..
"IWANT IT" thats pretty must the kist of ALL court battles chief. But we had a verbal aggreement and i read the only things they cant enforce is like land deals. If he said he was gonna sale me the car and i put money in to buying its part then by God its mine:mad:

and for my VW I'll clear that up. I was 16 man, had this boy i hung out with 2 roads down. His daddy was not very wealthy. He had these old cars, a Jeeb and a VW FOX '87. His both acted up so his relations with the landlord went south, he said ill have those cars removed if you dont since he was taking up visitor parking. he eded up selling it to me for 65 bux since the battery diddnt work and i was young. i lost the twenty, sum kids found it later. I get that girl moved man by these boys but they wanna joy ride instead of move it home 1st. The clutch dies. I could have got 1 for 60 bux new! It sits on the side of the road, they tow it for 85 bux and 20 bux a day for their lot. The day they get it the hour my friend has got his buddy on the truck trying to move it 4 me. i was soo close. ive hated the police ever since.

What it comes down to man, is YOU have to prove that he ever said that to you. If you have witnesses that he did, you might have a chance. How much money is this car worth to you? You'll have to spend a bunch to ever get it.

Like I said, I'd move along and get over it.

what they will tell you in court is this:

"a verbal contract is worth the paper its written on"

you have no case unless you gave him money.. but otherwise no

yeah i didnt mean any offence by my post, its just the way it works in my country and i suspect most other countrys in the western civilisation.

A verbal contract is null and void and basically non existant for a few reasons, the obvious ones being that whos to say whos telling the truth, and if there was cause for a verbal contract, surely the safer and more sensible thing to do would be to draft up a quick written contract with signatures.

sorry about your loss man, but remember, theres plenty more projects in the cheap bin. I know what its like, ive had no end of hastle selling and buying cars. The second car i sold 'as seen' was working fine, id just changed the oil / plugs / battery / diz cap and leads, 80 thousand miles.

I start getting calls from the young guy i sold it to, every few days "hey whats goin on, had to take the car to the shop for a new alternater" was one i remember well, i remember reasuring him that i had no idea the alternater was on its way out, and its not something anyone would have replaced in a basic service. This happend with different problems for about a week.

So im lying in bed fast asleep one morning at 11, got in from nightshift at 6am, and the phone rings "hey man this is really starting to piss me off, cars gone in for a new cat"... so i snap, i tell him "hey man, I been working all night, im sleeping now, this is my night time, im sick of hearing your petty stories, i had the car 4 months as a replacement car from a crash, it was fine for me, i did a basic service and even threw in a $200 head unit, and your gonna give me **** like that"

well i told him where to go, and that he was majorly out of order, and he backed off... never heard from him again thank god, 2 weeks of holding my tongue lol...

anyway, sorry for the extreme rant, just thought you might like to know i know where your comin from :)

it went in for a new cat? or it ran over 1?

i understand a verbal agreement comes down to he said he said but like ive said i was promised the car would be sold to me for 100 bux. the man is an oaf. it would be easy to get him RECORDED saying he agreed to it and then he decided not to. then what? does that make it solid with him admitting he reversed a descion he said he wouldnt? thats what i wanted to kno. i can get his wife on taspe to backing me. also i was planning on threatning him with court if he diddnt comply.

It would be easy to record him, but as far as I know it is illegal and the evidence would not be permissable anyway. In fact you could end up in trouble for doing so.

I would be very annoyed myself if i were in the same situation, but whatcan you do ? ... Nada !

Save up your money, find a car, hand over your money, deal done. ;)

ive seen cases were ppl will bring up messages left on the machine so how is that illegal..?

a message on a machine is different... not only does it log the phone number the message came from, but it has the voice of someone promising something.. now thats a completely different story from you saying to a court "he said"... oh and illegal? its called entrapment. You should never record anyone without permision for various reasons...

look dude, i was just offering some advice, your way too determined to get your '100 bux' car, you remind me of myself at age 18 or so lol..

Hey man looks like you don`t wan`t the advice your asking for so if your not going to listen to what everyone has to say go for it. You will just be thinking later well they told me so. If you record someones voice you have to tell them your doing it unless it a case of there threatning your life. Thats why all the video survalence cameras have no sound with them because you have to tell someone your recording there conversations. Slim

wazup just take a :chillpill: and relax be worry free and if you want to make life better smok a joint

i dont want to hear about how rogue u were at 18. Not having a car has hurt me before. I've missed important oppertunities, activities. My mom did not have a car the entire 1990s so she could not get a good job to better our lives. she could not take me to a baby sitter. she could not pick me up from school when i was sick, i had migrains i might add. this is personal. reguardless of legal battles im thinking of fighting the man anyways. you dont do me wrong or ur gonna pay for it. ive let too many things go these last few years, i need to do this to reassert myself anyways.

with that in mind you claim its illegal?

"Michael Marx, director of the London store Spycatcher, which sells surveillance equipment, said: "Mobiles are very effective as there is no limit to their range you can listen to someone in Britain from Australia."

In the US, such bugging is against federal law, which prohibits the listening to or recording of any conservation you are not involved in. The use of mobiles for surveillance by law enforcement agencies and investigators is, if not commonplace, a known technique."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19991024/ai_n14260644
im obviously gonna be apart of the conversation

also
There is a federal law and two main types of state laws that govern telephone recording:

Federal law says that at least one party taking part in the call MUST consent to the recording. (18 U.S.C. Sec. 2511(2)(d))This means recording a call you are not involved in is illegal throughout the U.S. UNLESS you are a business and the call is occurring on a phone line or extension you are paying for.

[edit] Two party consent states
Twelve states currently require that BOTH or ALL parties consent to the recording. These states are:

California
Connecticut
Florida
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

[edit] One party consent states
All other states, including the District of Columbia, besides those listed above require only one party consent just like federal law. However there are certain exceptions to these rules.

well, you did ask for advice on this matter and it looks like eveyone here is trying to tell you that you dont have a case. of course, if you dont want the advice, why ask for it.

of course, he does have the right to withdraw a sale if he doesnt want to sell. It does sound like this guy has been a bit mis leading like you said and thats people for ya. If you sell something on ebay, you have every right to withdraw an auction, even if it has bids on it (a virtual contract).

sorry mate, Im offering my opinion... thats all.. if you dont like it then sorry, looks like your fighting a losing battle... dont get yourself in trouble hey?

DrGreenThumb said:
well, you did ask for advice on this matter and it looks like eveyone here is trying to tell you that you dont have a case. of course, if you dont want the advice, why ask for it.

of course, he does have the right to withdraw a sale if he doesnt want to sell. It does sound like this guy has been a bit mis leading like you said and thats people for ya. If you sell something on ebay, you have every right to withdraw an auction, even if it has bids on it (a virtual contract).
i never said i was looking for advice actually. actually lots of ppl like to be trumped up. according to the law an oral agreement is as good as a contract just harder to prove. if there is a penalty for violating a contract and they are the same how can he widthraw it? and an auction doesnt count..

walk away, walk.. sounds familiar. guess ill be walkin to school too..

GUTSU where you live man, im sure that wasnt the only car for sale in your area

Latest posts

Back