Want to buy LED lights . What ones .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am helping a friend grow for the first time and he wants to grow with LED and grow Auto Flower plants.
What would be a good LED Light for him to buy to get started with? He is thinking of buying 2 Lights. How many plants could they do?

He has been looking at cheap china EBay lights and I'm trying to get him away from them. What do you guys recommend? I think I saw someone post up a nice light for $200 that's about his price range Give or take Thanks

Keeping it real, those "cheap china Ebay" lights are what a lot of the local markets buy and sell off as their own in the US. True story.

I'd suggest he look in to the Topled lights if money is an issue, but personally wouldn't use anything less than 250 watts and expect good results.

Less wattage will grow plants and good smoke, but yield will fall off quite a bit going smaller than that.

Tell buddy he needs to step up to almost 300, and then we can talk LED. If not he'll be crying the blues talking LED's don't work.

Cheap LED's are not good, and good LED's are not cheap, but a buck a watt is getting a lot more doable now a days. The name brands are still 3 times that, but that will change fairly soon I believe.

Rose's was around $250. That is real affordable and is within reach of most growers. Those thousand dollar babies are just out of my price range and probably always will be. I am thrilled that good lights are getting affordable for us retired living on a fixed income type of people.

I'm looking to having my own LEDs made right now, I have been doing research on them now for the past month, and have a pretty good handle on the situations. Oh and if anyone tries to tell you that they have US fixtures they are probably lying. Most if not all are made and assembled in China, as well as most of the parts, ie chipsets, drivers and so on.

Dear John,

thanks for your information.

this is the band ratio in one apollo
620-630nm * 12
450-470nm * 2
650-660nm * 1
430-440nm * 1
IR * 1
white * 1
total : 18pcs

we have the stock of apollo6 108X3W and apollo10 180x3W
apollo6
apollo6=18x6=108x3W
Price : usd129.05

apollo10=18x10=180*3W
Price : usd196.07

normally , one apollo have 18pcs led and 15pcs led,

if you want the 120x3W led grow light, the MOQ is 10pcs. Price : usd140

please confirm which one do you want ?

I am looking forward to hearing from you

They say that I can customize the led mix too which is nice because what they are offering stock, SUX, lol. I don't know if anyone else has looked into this either.

I also have an offer from the company that makes that LG fixture you all have.

My favorite part of my post is when PJ came in and answerd all the questions other people had and not mine.

My favorite part of my post is when PJ came in and answerd all the questions other people had and not mine.

That was my favorite part too.... :48: dude he prob just missed it...

shoot him a pm if ya have specific questions... Im 99% PJ will help ya out
(if ya ask nice).... :yay:

If I missed something in post 21, by all means hit me with the questions I missed. True I did not answer in order, but I did answer, or at least I thought I did all in the same day.

They say that I can customize the led mix too which is nice because what they are offering stock, SUX, lol. I don't know if anyone else has looked into this either.

Been running Cidly fixtures designed by me for several years. Curious why you would say their stock fixture sux? Have you used it? Know anyone who has? I can assure you my 4 years of designing and using LED tech will political name your one month of research and can put up pics of 50+ strains that say otherwise.

Show me someone who grew with a "stock fixture" that had no success, and I'll show you someone who does not know how to grow using LED tech.

Been running Cidly fixtures designed by me for several years. Curious why you would say their stock fixture sux? Have you used it? Know anyone who has? I can assure you my 4 years of designing and using LED tech will political name your one month of research and can put up pics of 50+ strains that say otherwise.

Show me someone who grew with a "stock fixture" that had no success, and I'll show you someone who does not know how to grow using LED tech.

That stock fixture sux because of the weak spectrum, did you or did you not look at the info posted?

First off you're just way too defensive, and attacking. I never said anything about your knowledge, or even mentioned you for that fact.

Second if the spectrum is lacking power in certain areas on the fixtures I AM having designed, then it must be lacking, as these are for ME the CUSTOMER.

Now let check and see if I care about anything else, NOPE! Not 4 years of pictures, not what people say, not Companies trying to sell me products based on biased information.

I have based MY NEEDS for MY fixture, upon several of these par spectrum graphs, for many different sources.View attachment image.jpg

MY findings have ME wanting more 630-660nm chips and even 680nm than just the one per cluster that this companies STOCK fixture offers. I also am wanting more 410-450nm than they are offering per chipset or cluster.

Hope this clears things up

Only thing it cleared up is the fact you are basing your info on opinion, and not experience based on what you have "read" in charts telling you what you need. By all means go right ahead and build something better based on your charts. I'm sure your lettuces and collard greens will do awesome!!

I only defended their light because you said it sux and have ZERO experience with it when I have been using two of their stock fixtures for quite some time and crush it.

In that same paragraph you also said "I don't know if anyone else has looked into this either."

If you didn't want to hear from anyone with experience then perhaps you should have left that part out.

Best of luck in your endeavor!

I will take experience over opinion any and every day. I know PJ has been working with LED's for quite some time and I have been lucky enough to see some off the work he has done and the results. Lyfespan, pretty sure any defensiveness that came from PJ was directly related to you bashing a light fixture you have never even used and he has.
Bottom line is we want to keep this thread drama free and ultimately help the OP.

Only thing it cleared up is the fact you are basing your info on opinion, and not experience based on what you have "read" in charts telling you what you need. By all means go right ahead and build something better based on your charts. I'm sure your lettuces and collard greens will do awesome!!

I only defended their light because you said it sux and have ZERO experience with it when I have been using two of their stock fixtures for quite some time and crush it.

In that same paragraph you also said "I don't know if anyone else has looked into this either."

If you didn't want to hear from anyone with experience then perhaps you should have left that part out.

Best of luck in your endeavor!
You my friend need to read things before jumping on people's cases.

Did you not see my post? Do you just like to think you're the end all of LEDs.

The only thing said about the fixture you're defending, was that I have been offered the same fixture to resell. Now you can go back and read things again and apologize.

As far as the Apollo fixtures I'm getting built, the stock chipsets SUX, so I had them change it for MY needs.

If you can quote anywhere that I said anything about your LG fixture otherwise, then you can jump on my nuts, till then, go smoke a pound and chill!

I'm done discussing this, as I have lil patience for this kinda of mindless debating.

I was just busting your balls JP no offense I hope.

All this LED stuff is new to me. My friend hasn't grown a plant before in his life and is too far away for me to show I can only help VIA email etc.

I was just busting your balls JP no offense I hope.

All this LED stuff is new to me. My friend hasn't grown a plant before in his life and is too far away for me to show I can only help VIA email etc.

Maybe you can talk your friend into signing up here and we can try and lighten the burden of you having to go back and forth with him via email. I imagine it's not easy.

I think your friend will need to either raise his budget on LED lighting or look to go in another direction for lights. Buying cheap garbage off of Ebay is never fun. It's one of the reasons IMO that the topic of LED's is so volatile. People get burned by cheap lights that over promise and then think the whole LED business is a scam.

Lyfespan, pretty sure any defensiveness that came from PJ was directly related to you bashing a light fixture you have never even used and he has.

Bottom line is we want to keep this thread drama free and ultimately help the OP.

Ding ding ding. Nailed it perfectly. Even bashed them again in his last post by "their chipset sux" based on ZERO experience with this fixture using a vegetable lighting chart.

And now, I have an LG fixture too he says, and wants me to use some reading skills?

I will take his advise and start working on smoking that pound though.
:vap-Bong_smoker:

Thin skin this one...

I think the lights that Hamster lewis recomended is a good light for a good price

I bought lights from advancedledlights they are pricey but work good Htgsupply has a good light in your price range i got a 145 watt i would also keep clear of the juicey deals on ebay they sound to good to be true and most the times are .

Ding ding ding. Nailed it perfectly. Even bashed them again in his last post by "their chipset sux" based on ZERO experience with this fixture using a vegetable lighting chart.

And now, I have an LG fixture too he says, and wants me to use some reading skills?

I will take his advise and start working on smoking that pound though.
:vap-Bong_smoker:

Thin skin this one...

I think everyone needs to smoke a pound, but I always advocate for that. :D

Anyone who has participated in, or even viewed an LED thread knows some amount of drama comes with the topic. I actually believe this is more misunderstanding than anything else. Pretty sure he was basically advocating for customizing the LED's to personal specs, which I know you also advocate for. The other thing that caught my eye is he is correct about most of these lights or chip sets etc are Chinese made, so my saying Cheap Chinese LED's is a little misleading as well.
Listen, anyone who has spent any amount of time on forums knows personalities clash, typed out words can be vague and misleading at times. Having just bought my first LED set up I am all in on learning as much as I can about the current state of the technology. I am sure others are as well. They are finally becoming affordable for average people, and that is exciting.

Latest posts

Back