Weird smell from light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ajswann

I have a 1000 watt HPS light. I am veging on a 24hr cycle. Can I leave the light on 24/7 or should I turn it off for a little while each day? I thought that I smelled something burning.

as long as its wired correctly you can run them 24/7..if its a new Ballast then you will have some burn off smell..this is normal and will go away in time..its good to be cautious tho..Happy growing

:48:

ajswann said:
I have a 1000 watt HPS light. I am veging on a 24hr cycle. Can I leave the light on 24/7 or should I turn it off for a little while each day? I thought that I smelled something burning.

The last thing you want is something to catch fire.
A 1000w draws a lot of current,have you felt your wires to see if they are overly warm to the touch?
Running too low a guage of wire(extension cords etc.) can become a real issue if not dealt with.

ajswann said:

is it a new ballast??
i run my light 24/7 in veg as well.. but once a week i shut it off for 20-30 minutes..(tent open and light still getting to the plants, just not HID light.)
i do beleive it was Pie2 that cntacted lumetec and they recomend a 20-30 minute shut down time on a 24/7 period.. this will help the life of your bulb and ballast... hope this helps..
LH

BigO said:
Dont let the smoke out

its hard to get it back in

:rofl::goodposting:

If the light has not been used for awhile or is new it will have a smell in most cases as the heat from the bulb burns off, residues from the manufaction for the light.

ozzydiodude said:
:rofl::goodposting:

If the light has not been used for awhile or is new it will have a smell in most cases as the heat from the bulb burns off, residues from the manufaction for the light.

never had a smell from my bulbs b4??:confused: ??
but yet on a new ballast i have a had a smell.. but it was gone in a day or two...
LH

Sorry I ment the hood and not the bulb itself. As the metal heats up the paint or lelt over residues will burn off giving you a smell

if its not a air cooled hood it could be plastic film burning thats on the interior of the hood.
when it comes to getting the smoke back in...you just have to be persistent;)

this does not sound good, especially with MH...

i would habe that light and have it checked out at a grow store.

2 600's with umbrellas reflectors would be a good idea man...

be safe.

Killuminati420 said:
if its not a air cooled hood it could be plastic film burning thats on the interior of the hood.
when it comes to getting the smoke back in...you just have to be persistent;)

You mean that plastic film that's supposed to be removed before using?:eek: :eek: :holysheep:

DD

Latest posts

Back