What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've got five big crows that hang. Lots of other birdies, too. Love 'em all.
Did you know you can teach a starling to talk? Check 'em out on YouTube. Smart critters.
We've got 4-5 flavors of woodpeckers. One is known to live in a 4 acre area for life, so they're "estate" woodies. 😁

I love my birds, cardinals, hummingbirds, wrens, woodpeckers...they flitter around the feeders like mad...I have a murder of crows that roost in my bamboo groves...they raise hell when they decide to leave en mass...turkeys and egrets are always present out front fishing in the stream...

Last year, there was a Mocking bird in the next yard one night singing. By singing, I mean going thru it’s repertoire of songs. Must have been a dozen different ones. One sounded like a car alarm. I will look at the starling videos. They fear me so much if I walk by my slider, they scatter like they stole something so I doubt they will learn anything else from the fogey…

I love my birds, cardinals, hummingbirds, wrens, woodpeckers...they flitter around the feeders like mad...I have a murder of crows that roost in my bamboo groves...they raise **** when they decide to leave en mass...turkeys and egrets are always present out front fishing in the stream...
We get some Ruby Throated hummingbirds here. No other types much to my chagrin but the northeast isn’t hummingbird friendly I guess. We get robins, blue jays, Baltimore orioles(I put out orange halves to draw them in), some sparrows, finches, cardinals, northern flickers, the woodpeckers I mentioned earlier, cowbirds, grackles, starlings, bluebirds, occasional owls and the turkeys. Probably more but my memory is shot…

We get some Ruby Throated hummingbirds here. No other types much to my chagrin but the northeast isn’t hummingbird friendly I guess. We get robins, blue jays, Baltimore orioles(I put out orange halves to draw them in), some sparrows, finches, cardinals, northern flickers, the woodpeckers I mentioned earlier, cowbirds, grackles, starlings, bluebirds, occasional owls and the turkeys. Probably more but my memory is shot…
Dark eyed juncos, Carolina wrens, chickadees, nuthatches…

Edit:because I keep remembering more…
Morning doves, tufted titmouses, red winged blackbirds…

Last edited:
Some kind of root borer grub I believe. About 3” long living in an old stump in the yard…
0B26ADBF-8D7D-4BA2-B795-328DD9401368.jpeg

One time a next door neighbor told my Honey a snake went into her yard thru the bamboo. Where I live we dont have poisonous snakes.,garter snakes much smaller not like godzilla ones you got. She did not go in her backyard for 2 years!
No poisonous snakes here that I have seen anyway. These were about 12”-ers. My cat will trot around with one hanging out of his mouth and looks like he has a fu Manchu mustache(can I say that?).,.

Latest posts

Back