what should i get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unosnow

Reaction score
im about to go to the hardware store for the first time to get my basic setup and buy the basic stuff i would need for a 3x3 by 9ft tall closet grow spot for 6 plants what should i be getting? a 400wat HPS bulb and a fixture a resavour some plastic to put down some pro mix seedling starter some chain and lumber? am i missing anything?

you are gonna need some fans ,,intake and outake and circulation ,,are u using mylar or flat white paint for the walls ? goodluck :48: keep us posted on your new set up

So i wana grow about 6 would a 400wat bulb do the trick? what kinda light should it be? Ill be growing in a 3x3 by9foot tall closet.
besides that i need ventilation, lights, soil, plastic, plain white paint am i missing anything? im gonna use this stuff pro mix seedling starter that is supose to be good for PH.. i guess i also need a timer thing to turn the light on and off and some cordes n stuff

400watt will be good if this is ur first grow. U dont wana go too crazy with lights if ur just begining.

imo go 600 the lumens are perfect for nine sq ft. of course it depends on what you can afford. i really was going to go w/ 400 but 600's are more efficient, more lumens per watt!

yeah the 600 is more efficent, think they are the most expensive too.

That grow room is gonna be pretty tight with that many plants. Might wanna look into growing a little less with the space you have.

You can start with lighting that you can get at the hardware store, but for flowering, you are going to need to go to a hydro store or online (or maybe craig's list if you live in a big place) to get what you need--A HPS. For your space, a 400W will be okay. You want 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering. For vegging, you can use fluoros--either CFLs or fluoro tubes. Plan for your ventilation--good ventilation is essential to keeping your space cool and providing enough CO2 for your plants.

i agree with THG,i use a 400 for my 3.6x3.6x6.7 tent,HPS in flower only.i have a 400 Mh,but i started using fluros for veggin.works as good as Mh.maybe better.

going to hardware? maybe it is good idea to ask about HPS bulb and say its for security pole, that way someone there can point you to right direction

which is the same direction to grow plants.. you do not want to tell them that you are growing something with it.. ;)

Disco94 said:
That grow room is gonna be pretty tight with that many plants. Might wanna look into growing a little less with the space you have.
More plants in small grow space = smaller buds
Less plants in small grow space = bigger buds

papabeach1 said:
going to hardware? maybe it is good idea to ask about HPS bulb and say its for security pole, that way someone there can point you to right direction

which is the same direction to grow plants.. you do not want to tell them that you are growing something with it.. ;)

an hps bulb is useless without a matching ballast...

Hick said:
an hps bulb is useless without a matching ballast...

What is a ballast?

My new plan is 2 150watt HPS bulbs in a 22inch(W) by 42inch(length) 9ft(height) room, cant i just plug these into the wall set up some vents and a timer and pretty much be good to go? the walls are already white and ill put some plastic below the pots and im gonna try to find some pro mix seedling starter. gonna go with Big Bud seeds buying about 20 so i can get 4-6 plants in this area. hows that sound am i missing something?

unosnow said:
Read what? got any links?
check the stickies in the lighting section for light info'.. ;)

...no, you can not just plug hps bulbs into the wall

Well see good thing i asked befor i went out and bought stuff.... like it says to do in the stickies :)

Well the 150W HPS comes with a Ballast built in... And all you have to do is add a power cord.. Then you can plug it right into the wall... Well... I'd recommend plugging into a surge protector.. Then putting that in the wall..

Latest posts

Back