What would you do??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPuffAlot

Green thumb in training
Reaction score
I have young kids.. one 5yo and a 4 month old.

Im sure I wont have to deal with this for years to come.
But when I think about it, im kinda torn of how/what I should do.

Maybe some of you older guys with kids can chime in.

Ive smoked for a long time, and PRO MJ at the very least.

But i dont know what I would do if one day in the future, I
find my son with blood shot eyes, and smell like some SWAG.
Or even find some bud/papers/bowl/bong on him.

I thinnk I would beat him down, take his stuff, and smoke it.
and tell him never to touch or associate with anyone that does it.
- but my conscience bothers me, because i would be such a
hypocrit.

One of my worse fears, is one of my kids, getting "CAUGHT UP"..
I have a friend that fell off the deep end, and that is something has to
be avoided at all cost.

What would you do??

I dont have kids yet, but I think teaching them the responsibilities there are while smoking the herb. (If that is the right way to phrase it) I believe that if they understand that there is a right and wrong way, they will see the differance. I personally was gonna smoke regardless of what my parents said, but they taught me the issues with buying off the streets and riding around in cars with it on me. I guess to each their own, but lying and saying it is bad doesnt seem right to me. If they find out you smoke after you bash it, how does that make you look in their eyes. Just my opinion though. Hopefully by the time you have to worry about it, we'll have some reformed laws. ---Crosses fingers---

First of all if u do it, the kids will do it tooo !!
My granddaughter is 12 and she smokes Pot and I have seen this over and over that a parent that smoke there kids are smoken and the worse thing is that they don't just stay with Pot they have to go and try out the rest of the NASTY STUFF..
Since I am only the grand father I have LAID the POT HEAD rules down to her if she wants to smoke...
Don't steal for it
always ask
Bring home AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" in school.
Smoke at home not on the streets
Be Honest
Tell the turth
Pothead Rules around here and to tell u she is doing pretty good on the rules but she still is YOUNG and a teen o be.
I just hope and pray she can find the gooood friends..

Talk is always the best thing with kids..
Never say don't do it !! They will!!!
I have always looked at this too, If a person sooo worried about there kids smoken Pot, or other stuff.. Then it time for that Parent to THROW there stuff away and NEVER Do it again and be a BIG Person and show the Right Way of LIFE..

Hey Puff, I have an 9 yr. old and a 5 yr. old.

My initial emotion would be eaxctly like you put it..."beat down". Outa fear. I lived it pretty wild when I was young. But I look back and nothing my folks would have done would have changed what I did.
I would have a serious sit down with my child. Tell them my some of my"experiences". And what pitfalls are out there. I would not "condone" any of it. but would rather them sit and listen then be in a full blown aurgument. "teenagers ears close up fast"
I hope and pray my children don't go down that path. But its there own path to choose. All I can do is be supportive of right decisions and help them when they need it.
If my kid comes home pie eyed and a lil sluggish...I would be leniant. come home wired and speeded up....REHAB!!!!
Drunk buys them weeks of groundation. I lost most of the people I cared for in my age group to drinking and hard crap. Never lost one to herb (except jail). Drinking scares me more than herb for the teenagers from my own experience.
Man this is a tough one. I'm rambling. I think i would end up wingin it. :hairpull:

well i havent had this problem yet and we have 3 kids here to wrangle 14-9-2 respectivly the oldest being a girl and 2 boys (teen in high school so im expecting this soon) our plan is to have a pow wow if and when it is to happen and explain it that these are the rules if your going to love it the way we have explain to them that you should be at least 18 before you make these big life chioces and enforce it while they are still under your roof understand that we all have experimented in these years and remember how hard your parents were on you when you were caught doing something of this magnatude and punish accordingly and now with all the lit and stuff you can get off the net (another thing that our parents didnt have to educate us with) it is even easier to show them the scary side of the habit (show them some bust video) and if they are still adamint about being able to use explain the rules 1 not in our house 2 dont be out stealing from others or us 3 grades best stay up 4 dont get caught cause it will be on their head (yours too if caught by school or the cops) but i have little worry for the oldest she has the opinion that she wont use and hates the dare programs she feels that if anyone wants to use any form of durg that is their choice and noone elses

We cannot compare Devastating Drug Dependence and to smoke a joint in peace as you can have a wine or much heavier than both a wisky.

Amateur growers for instance are – I suppose taking by my own example- cultured people that are doing something “lovely” and harmless with the only goal of responsible usage of MJ.

We parents that smoke are responsible people that like all the other decent people are teaching the kids Humanistic values.
One of those is to respect the live. Your own for start. A value that clearly is contradictory with to shot Heroin in the vains for instance.

Like us our kids are going to make thier own mistakes.
We have to be there to support always in all they need, but at the end they need to be prepare to make their own decisions and to be responsible for their own futures.
As we are responsible for our future and to protect our loved kinds until they are big enough to do it by their selves.

I had a talk with my 10 year old son last winter whilst pulling walleye's threw the ice. I explained to him that as an adult that has a good carreer,and disposable income I am in a position to use Marijuana responsibly. I also explained to him that he should not use any drugs, at least until he has a solid foundation/carreer in his own life. He is yung yet, but getting old enough to run with teh men now,and all are stoners so it is time to explain things. MJ is the exception to any othe drugs are very forbidden.

When they Graduate high school, then they can smoke a number. I started way to young in life and feel that i now am paying for it. I dropped out of school and started working. I also started my family a little to young, my oldest turned 15 this year, and i turned 31 a month later. So the way i feel is that when you graduate school and are ready to start your own life, have at it. till then, i need my children bright eyed and bushy tailed at all times.

My 0.02$, based on my personal experience, is just to make yourself understood by the kids. If you allow/disallow it, let them know why, and make sure they remember to keep their priorities in order. :)

I think that a very similar argument with alcohol exists. Parents ask when can I drink with my son/ daughter? I drank when I was 18? etc etc.
I think the biggest thing with drugs and sex is to make sure they learn it from you and not their friends. Being of European decent, my parents taught me that alcohol was not some thing to be abused, but a drink that should be enjoyed for its flavor and to help with relaxing. To this day I do not drink to get drunk, just relax and enjoy.
I think the same philosophy can be applied to marijuana. Although I do think people should be of a certain age to drink or smoke (18 IMO) taking the mystery out of weed and doing it in front of your children might make it more a normal thing that a responsible person does to relax. Show your children that weed isn't to get stoned out of their mind, but to relax and enjoy responsibly, like alcohol.

I'm a 23 year old "A" College student working on getting a CPA and MBA and this is how marijuana was brought up to me when I was younger. My Dad was an alcoolic and passed away about 4 years ago so drinking was never appealing to me just from that. My Mom always said no pills or powders because these things are way addicting and they ruin peoples lives, however your going to try MJ most likely(most people do) and the first time you try it you should do it at home so that the worst thing that happens is you eat all the food in the house..LOL..

My Dad also said if you are going to try it I'll do it with you so that you feel safe. I think he just wanted to smoke but eh. I am in no way saying this is gonna be the best way, every kid is diferent but I know from growing up that the parents that said "dont do it because I said "made the kids do everything they could.

I think if you explain the "whys" instead of just saying not to do something you will see a lot more progress.

Now I have a 19 year old sister away at college and have basically taken over the father role and said the same things. She is on a full academic scholar ship to a Big 10 school and has a part time job. I just told her don't drive or do stupid things. Use it but don't abuse it.

I have one of those Moms that let things slide so when she says not to do something I know there must be a pretty damn good reason and I respect her more because of her attitude towards these things.

Just my .02 pennies

Also I have no idea how this thread came up I just realized it was from October. Ok OK maybe I shouldn't smoke anymore :)

Latest posts

Back