when flowering plants i know they need

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
to be in darkness with no light, which i do but due to my living space my tents are in a place where i hear music and and watch television, which brought me to wonder do plants need quiet time with lights out ? Or am i just thinking of them as children and not plants ?

No, they just need total, uninterrupted darkness. Just can't have any light leaks at all - not ever.

I think my plants like the TV. They seem happy when Dr Who or Sons of Anarchy are on... heh...

the sons thats a good show , i am going to have to look for light leaks .

to check light ...when the lights on in tent...turn off lights in room and if ya see light leaking out the tent..well you know what to do:p

take care and be safe

OSG said it - no light at all during the ladies "dark time". Any irregularities in the light/dark cycle and your asking for hermies IMO.

A hermie is a female plant that decides to produce male flowers. Stable, female plants can do this in response to stress, such as irregular light cycles

jmansweed said:
A hermie is a female plant that decides to produce male flowers. Stable, female plants can do this in response to stress, such as irregular light cycles

that sounds like a not so good thing, i am assuming it hurt the potencie of the flower

No - not so good. A male flower typically will produce pollen. When pollen contacts female buds there is a potencial for seeds. So unless your trying to produce seed, it's important to maintain complete darkness at "dark" times - no light what-so-ever. With irregular light cycles effecting the entire crop, you could unintentionally produce lots of male flowers and then lots of seed.

Once a female plant begins seed production she will sacrifice bud production ultimately producing a fraction of her potencial and full of seeds. Hope you can tighten it up a bit :)

jmansweed said:
No - not so good. A male flower typically will produce pollen. When pollen contacts female buds there is a potencial for seeds. So unless your trying to produce seed, it's important to maintain complete darkness at "dark" times - no light what-so-ever. With irregular light cycles effecting the entire crop, you could unintentionally produce lots of male flowers and then lots of seed.

Once a female plant begins seed production she will sacrifice bud production ultimately producing a fraction of her potencial and full of seeds. Hope you can tighten it up a bit :)

okay i hope i have not ruiened the plants i curently have i will be sure to drape a blanket over my tent at night to make sure nothing gets in thanks for the great advice jmansweed i am going to post a pic so you can see the girls you are helping me keep straight .:)

these are the girls i got and thats if i have not made them hermies. they are also my first grow how do they look so far.

downsized951127121905.jpg

One last thing SC - How long have your plant/s been growing under the current conditions? The one in the pic looks solid :)

skullcandy said:
what is a hermie

What you get if you watch reality TV, especially Housewives of ..... or Dog the bounty hunter.:holysheep:

Certain music also including, rap, disco, new age along with any sort of metal or punk.:hubba:

60's and 70's rock and roll give you large lusty females.:icon_smile:

Wet

i have had them in the current conditions for around one month i started a 12/12 cycle last tuesday and am waiting to see the results and since its my first grow i check then like 2-4 times a day if not more pretty much just looking for something new everyday and everyday i notice new grought .

I grew some on a window sill with a TV, computer screen, and a dining room light that would come on occasionally. Not saying I would do this all the time but it was fun watching TV and the girls at the same time and the 3 of them did not hermie. Must have not have been enough stress, but I was trying:)

not bad at all for a 1st time grow(looks beter then mine did, lol) you can use string to spread her out fully and hold her up. I cant really tell if theres any room for air at the very bottom. might wana trim those 1 or 2 nodes at the very bottom to increase the air flow and send some extra energy to those top buds.

Dr.Drow said:
not bad at all for a 1st time grow(looks beter then mine did, lol) you can use string to spread her out fully and hold her up. I cant really tell if theres any room for air at the very bottom. might wana trim those 1 or 2 nodes at the very bottom to increase the air flow and send some extra energy to those top buds.

when trimming nodes does one just take off the leaves or the small stem the comes out the main stem?

I use a sharp pair of scissors, one snip parallel with the stalk should cut both the small stem and anything else coming from the main stem off. leaving a few inches of bare stalk at the bottom. Do Not try this without scissors I have tryed being lazy and just pulling the bottom node off this Will damage the main stalk and your plant will Not be happy for a few days.

I should have clarified a bit more SC - When plants enter the 12/12 stage, thats when it's imperative to eliminate light leaks etc. Vegetative plants indeed need a steady light schedule to thrive but the worry of developing male flowers occurs during flowering. If you have tightened up the box already, you probably will be all set considering the time frame they may have been exposed to light irregularities but be cautious.

When checking in on your ladies, do not interrupt the dark cycle unless its an emergency. I know how hard it is to leave them alone for a bit but reaping the rewards will help you appreciate doing things fairly disciplined. Your at an exciting stage my friend! If you need to look at the girls in the dark period use a green light. Plants absorb almost all colors of the spectrum except green - hence the reason they appear green to us, leaves actually are reflecting it back at us.

As Dr Drow hinted, every light has a sweet spot. Meaning there is an area where light intensity is ideal. Too far obviously makes the light less intense, the opposite occurs as well. Therefore we typically trim the lower growth because it will be out of our sweet spot and produce airy, less potent buds. This increases air circulation and the plant will concentrate her efforts on growth with better placement. Disinfect your scissors before trimming - iso-alcohol works well. It takes practice to properly trim plants, and different strains will respond different ways.

For your first grow, she looks great. Keep us updated!

peace - Jman

Latest posts

Back