Why Wilting??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawberry Cough

Reaction score
I have 13 WW seedlings. 12 are fine. 1 yesterday (the largest) started to show dry (yet green) leaf tips. I thought maybe it was lacking water, but I water every day. The plant is in potting soil & worm casting mix.

That plant that started to show dry leaves is now today WILTING despite being watered/soaked yesterday - yet the other seedling in the same pot is doing fine.

More leaves at bottom are drier (yet still green), and now the plant is wilting. I don't understand why. All other 12 plants in same mixture are doing fine. Are some plant genetics just weaker and more susceptible and I should just let this one die out?

Any thoughts on why a sudden wilt with 1 under same conditions as all 13?

If you grow in soil and water everyday you may very well be over watering your garden specialy if the plants are very young, that is one reason that can cause your plants to start looking mushy, the other reason could be heat stress to much heat will also cause the plants to get all dropy and it will look like a slight nute burn on the tips of the leaves, many growers mistaken heat stress for nute burn, also lack of co2 will cause your plants to wilt, so make sure you have PLENTY of co2 in your garden you can never have to much air circulation.
1 more thing if you over feed your plants that to will cause them to wilt.

I suspect overwatering or nute burn. What kind of potting soil is your plant in? Is it prenuted?

While this has nothing to do with your question...it is generally not advisable to have 2 plants in 1 pot. I would recommend having everything in their own pots.

Thanks for replies.

Can't be nute burn because I have not yet given fertilizer.

Yes, soil says it has fertilizer, but I don't see any of those fertilizer balls. I see dirt, fibers, and rocks.

From your replies, it is either heat stress (nights in closet with MH light, no fan, but days on rooftop with nice sun), or overwatering. But if heat stress then why not the other 12 plants showing same droopiness? If overwatering, then why not other 12 plants showing same droopiness?

I place several in a pot together because I have limited grow space in closet. So I grow the plants together, then chop down the unwanted males, and let whatever plants grow together that remain. I am doing experiment now to see what will grow better: pot with 4 plants, two pots with two plants, or small pot with 1 plant.

Strawberry Cough said:
Thanks for replies.

Yes, soil says it has fertilizer, but I don't see any of those fertilizer balls. I see dirt, fibers, and rocks.

From your replies, it is either heat stress (nights in closet with MH light, no fan, but days on rooftop with nice sun), or overwatering. But if heat stress then why not the other 12 plants showing same droopiness? If overwatering, then why not other 12 plants showing same droopiness?

I place several in a pot together because I have limited grow space in closet. So I grow the plants together, then chop down the unwanted males, and let whatever plants grow together that remain. I am doing experiment now to see what will grow better: pot with 4 plants, two pots with two plants, or small pot with 1 plant.

You are running a mh in a closet with no co2 circulation :eek: that is insane, you are depriving your plants in a very big way (killing them)

Imagine yourself in that same closet with the same light with no air :D How would you feel?

Strawberry Cough said:
Thanks for replies.

lol the answer to ur experiment is 1 plant per pot . they need all the root space they can get. depending on how big u want them to get. and a good way to give ur plants co2 is get some bubbly water and spray that on them :D

ok, first answers to some questions, and then some more questions.

RE: CO2 circulation - the plants share the room with me. I breathe out CO2 and they breathe out oxygen. This arrangement works out pretty nicely. As the plants get bigger they make the air in my room so fresh as well as fragrant. They also spend the days out on the roof and get plenty of CO2 outside also.

RE: 1 per pot - this is why I am experimenting. I pulled out the wilting widow yesterday, dried her, and smoked her. Actually, I counted today: I have 4 in one pot, 2 in another, 2 in another, now 1 lone in a big pot, and 3 lone widows in smaller containers (I always wondered how I see pictures here of plants so tall grown in a frat-house beer cup...I never get those results). One lone might be good for root space, but I have observed that several plants in a pot help to reduce overwatering damage and mold as the water is quickly drunk up. I can water every day and each day the water in the dish has been guzzled up.

QUESTION: why are some plants in this same mixture of just soil and worm castings have leaf-tips drying up and browning? Nothing major, so is this slight tip-drying normal?

Strawberry Cough said:
- the plants share the room with me. I breathe out CO2 and they breathe out oxygen. This arrangement works out pretty nicely.

That is very funny Strawberry. Thank you. A mutually beneficial relationship indeed!

It would be very difficult to offer any spot on advice without a more detailed description of your environment and perhaps some photos. All the suggestions by other members here are all viable and valid explanations- could be one or a combination of several. If you can post some pics, you may get more specific advice.

Good luck to you.

Hi BBFan, I am happy I made you laugh. Always good a good laugh to feel better.

Wish I could take photographs, but i don't have camera.

Plants are looking ok. I will chalk up that one that wilted to bad genetics, natural selection, needed to be eliminated. I have some true beauties now. Most are uniform in size, but one is extra large. Most of them have heavy Sativa phenotype characteristics with longer, thinner leaves, and slower growing speed than my past MJ grows - as for some it's been over 14 days and they are still very small. I can't wait to try these babies out in my bong with those Sativa qualities....

....mmmmmmmmmmm..............goooooooooooood.

Watch that large one closely... my experience has been that males grow faster (vertically) than females.

Absolutely could be bad phenos showing up in that one plant. Keep growing!

Will do.

I have noticed that males show flowers 1-2 days before females, and that males are less "branchy".

In continuation of these problems...I don't know what is going on!

1.) Today the 4-seedlings in one pot were increasingly yellow last few days so I put 1/3 strength 20-20-20 fertilizer and hope these will green them up.

2.) A pot that has 2 seedlings, one is perfectly green and healthy, the other was also yellowing, so this pot also got the 20-20-20 fertilizer treatment, 1/3 strength. That yellowing seedling is also drying up on itself and the leaves that were tipped with dry bits and now mostly all dry and I crusty. They come apart at the touch. The other plant has now a natural 3 node (i.e. three leaves) forming at the 4th node.

3.) Another pot with one plant in it (the one that had the wilting one that I pulled out) is ok, very nice green color, but it stopped growing upwards. Looks to me like it is now growing a double top naturally that is forming. NO fertilizer added yet.

4.) Another pot with 2 plants seedlings in it have ok green color. No fertilizer added yet.

5.) Another small container with one seedling is now drying up a bit.

Could it be that I pulled the seeds way too early (6 weeks) off the last harvest and bad genetics not able to cope with normal growing conditions, new potting soil, worm castings?????????????????

This is so weird! I have never had such bad reaction to normal growing conditions.

I planted 6 more seeds in case some of these die I need to get more started.

I hope at least a good male and good female survive so that I can produce more seeds.

That next day I added 1/3 strength fertilizer to the yellowing plants and by the end of the day they were looking greener. The next day, even greener. Now they look healthy again.

Strawberry Cough said:
That next day I added 1/3 strength fertilizer to the yellowing plants and by the end of the day they were looking greener. The next day, even greener. Now they look healthy again.

Well congratulations on that save. Surprised the nutes helped at such a tender young age.

I'm afraid you may end up with some troubles with multiple plants in one pot. Unfortunately, I am speaking from experience.

I dont know if this applies, but I tried multiple(6) plants in a dwc tub setup. and 2 in seperate dwc buckets, and started flowering at the same time. the ones in the buckets are beautiful, but the tub setup was spindely, and tiny flowers. at 6 weeks the bucket plants were putting out big beautiful nugs, but the ones in the tub werr still just tiny and not getting anywhere, so I finaly just axed them.
so I guess what im saying is that BBfan is def. correct. hope this helps in your decision. :)

Latest posts

Back