Beans from Carty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen a bag of Happy frog bigger than 12 Quarts around here.
IMG_4795.jpeg

Just took this picture at a local farm supply store. They don’t have the Happy Frog in yet, but it’s the same price, for the same size bag.

Why not the peat option? 3cbft goes a long way with a lil perilite.
View attachment 354018
I did buy one to try waiting on the pearlite to get here. The peat I am growing in now the plants aren't liking it much had to pull one it had a fatal attraction to that crap.
IMG_3629.jpeg

Not happy with that last bag of soil. I am starting to see all kinds of deficiencies. I think I am going back to happy frog. I never have problems with that soil
IMG_3633.jpeg
IMG_3634.jpeg
IMG_3632.jpeg
IMG_3629.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3631.jpeg
    IMG_3631.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I did buy one to try waiting on the pearlite to get here. The peat I am growing in now the plants aren't liking it much had to pull one it had a fatal attraction to that crap.View attachment 354019
I e not had issues emerge yet. I'm thinking the calcium nitrate is doing it's job as is the Jack's.

I did withhold the calcium nitrate from the mystery auto on purpose. I wanted to see if that calcium deficiency happened using just the bloom. It did at about week 6. I dosed it with calc/nit and it halted. So now I know how much calcium support is needed for autos..or at least a good idea.

Sorry just a lil stoned and rambling..lol

View attachment 354035
Walmart had the good stuff back in stock, picked up two bags.

Holy Crapola Batman.... that's a $40 bale usually. I'd use that, just add perlite. Man, some of the prices you people can get soil for is unreal.

Jan, be very careful using the Ocean Forrest. It is one of the hottest soils on the market and needs to be watered down with a 2nd soil 50/50. Well established flowering plants respond well to it, but babies in veg will burn and stunt.

I was getting really down on myself watching your Gabagoo grow thinking, if that is all these plants are going to do I'm going to be tossing out 9000 seeds. but the more I critique your grow the more concerns I have. Your soil looks to have little perlite in it and looks muddy. In the one shot you mentioned it's time to water anyways, and they looked wet.. overwatering will make for the same symptoms I'm seeing in your current run... plus, edges of leafs are burnt so far in it's more then hot soil on these but possibly PH issues... hard to tell..
I see you've cut your losses with some.. I would of also. Now some of the Beast Mode that grows faster seems to be doing much better in same setup... real head scratcher huh? so again, I'm back to the genetics and worrying I'm passing out junk.

If I had to be honest... I'm in love with Beast Mode, GDP and WW atm.... lol

Holy Crapola Batman.... that's a $40 bale usually. I'd use that, just add perlite. Man, some of the prices you people can get soil for is unreal.

Jan, be very careful using the Ocean Forrest. It is one of the hottest soils on the market and needs to be watered down with a 2nd soil 50/50. Well established flowering plants respond well to it, but babies in veg will burn and stunt.

I was getting really down on myself watching your Gabagoo grow thinking, if that is all these plants are going to do I'm going to be tossing out 9000 seeds. but the more I critique your grow the more concerns I have. Your soil looks to have little perlite in it and looks muddy. In the one shot you mentioned it's time to water anyways, and they looked wet.. overwatering will make for the same symptoms I'm seeing in your current run... plus, edges of leafs are burnt so far in it's more then hot soil on these but possibly PH issues... hard to tell..
I see you've cut your losses with some.. I would of also. Now some of the Beast Mode that grows faster seems to be doing much better in same setup... real head scratcher huh? so again, I'm back to the genetics and worrying I'm passing out junk.

If I had to be honest... I'm in love with Beast Mode, GDP and WW atm.... lol
I had to cut another beast mode. The soil does look muddy it the peat is dark and looks like mud but it is dry. I always stick my finger in the soil above my knuckle. It is getting water every 2-3 days. I had to water them today they were bone dry. My plants do not like the soil. As soon as the pearlite gets here I will do something. We have 60 mph winds today do all of my outside plants are inside on a cart in the darkness. They will be ok for a day

I had to cut another beast mode. The soil does look muddy it the peat is dark and looks like mud but it is dry. I always stick my finger in the soil above my knuckle. It is getting water every 2-3 days. I had to water them today they were bone dry. My plants do not like the soil. As soon as the pearlite gets here I will do something. We have 60 mph winds today do all of my outside plants are inside on a cart in the darkness. They will be ok for a day
Your beans are fine. I changed my routine and screwed this grow up all by myself. I blame no one but myself. Never argue with success.

I feel ya, did the same thing I think to both my Samsquatch burning them with Espoma plant starter plus... one at veg and the other at up potting ... Never allow roots to sit directly onto this food product, after all, it's a food and not a root enhancer that is safe to do that with... so, I've lost both of them to doing things differently and like yourself, when we were unable to even find Miracle Grow soil she brought home some nasty dirt bag, oh wait, bag of dirt... hahaha. never seen afore, never used afore... and so far my plants showing they prefer anything else... hahaha

Not at my walmart we are a border town. They keep cheap crap on hand and lots of it and the prices are out of their minds. I will take pics next time I hit walmart. Last year at my summer grow I used the 3 dollar bag of composted steer manure. It did better than this crap. It brought flys from hell. The sticky traps dod wonders though. If I have to use this again it will be in the bottom and the peat will go on top at up pot. I need to up pot soon my girls inside are in pre flower. I have only found 1 male so far from the Panama Reds. That is how it works you want males you get females you want females you get males. Just how it works at least for me. I can only have 24 plants at once. I have culled 4 males from the sour vengeance from X.

You are a busy woman Jan.
I have to agree bro... Jan is always on the move. We are sharing the same headache atm to girl.... grrrrrr...
I've got to get more serious about finding the soils I prefer touse vs whatever she finds and brings home... without consistency it's almost impossible to dial in your grow..

I burnt the crap out of my last Sasquatch when I up potted her... I thought, hey, let's see what happens if I use the Espoma plant starter plus like you do a root enhancer.. woops, direct contact to the roots, not a good idea. she dead.... so no samsquach to try out this run. grrrrr... waaaaah. Even with 20yrs of doing this the mistakes and learning continue...... lol

I think from now on at least on the inside grows will only be the happy frog. It costs more but gives way better results. Jacks works great with it too!
Are you finding that you use less jacks considering the soil medium is pretty loaded with nutrients.

No not for happy frog I use 1/2 tsp per gallon of water inside every watering. It is every 2-3 days depending on how hot it is. Outside is a different animal. I have to water every day. I am every 3day is Jacks water the rest of the time. Yesterday was the first time since I put them outside that I sad them praying. I will keep watching. They did not like the cal mag. They were sad for 2 days after dosing them with half strength. I hope it is dialed in now They seem happy. We will see I will continue to watch them.

Latest posts

Back