dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codybear

Reaction score
Whats up fellas. I am a cornfield grower and just wondering if anybody else is using them. If so, do you ever have trouble with commercial potting soil being dug up by critters.

only if there infested with grub....a food source for the critters.

invest in a fully composted organic substrate with a soiless medium and perlite for drianage, add powdered dolomite lime and your off!

stay away from organic ferts like fish emulsion or any sort of smelly compost that would attract animals that are scavangers. if you cant avoid- protect plants with wire or similar sheilding.

dont forget to mulch plants well....to retain water.

goodluck bro!

bone or blood meals, fish emulsion, even alfalfa can attract vermin, and cause digging. They're "scavengers",(racoons, skunk, 'yotes, fox, bear) they have a nose for finding food, and if your freshly dug turf contains it, they will search for it.
I've had pretty good luck by ammending a month+, preferrably 6 weeks, in advance of planting. It not only allows the beneficial bacteria too get going, but allows the critters to dig, investigate, and determine that it isn't a food source.

I have a problem with squirrels diggin' in my crop,

So I just post at the second story window with my 1200fps air rifle and put some x's in the stock from 20 yards.

...then I get to bury them in the garden...

I wouldn't use any kind of organics in your dirt. That will definitely attract critters to your garden. You may want to consider chicken wire around your plants or something. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

I love this place. any brand name suggestions for the soil type you mentioned. Also, powdered dolomite lime. first time anybodys ever mentioned that to me. sound interesting. I used to buy whatever potting soil was on sale at WW. I would add s. moss and some earthworm castings. (I save them religiously after a fishing trip). Side note-when i started using earthworm castings, my clone project room would smell awesome. the plants must have loved it. anyway, then we got to where we would just go to a field and fill some buckets so the dirt would not smell foreign to the critters. Problem with that though is if you arent careful, that claylike dirt can develop a pottery like hardness. I'd love to sit around a campfire and talk theory with you guys allnight. very interesting.

Also look inot fox unrine and what not, most true values carry them and they are supposed to deter certain animals/critters. Lime buffers the soil for pH purposes. Hick knows his stuff that's for sure.

smokybear said:
I wouldn't use any kind of organics in your dirt. That will definitely attract critters to your garden. You may want to consider chicken wire around your plants or something. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

"Organics" are good.. IMO, but try to avoid the animal byproducts.
"I" recommend that you go with composts. Composted manures, mushroom, castings, ect. organic materials that aren't going to attract vermin by smelling like food.

ya i have the same annoying problem!
Best thing to do is what i think hick said, mend the dirt, and get the site ready before you plant your girls.
Im doing this in the morning, then planting in mid may

Latest posts

Back