How much run-off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuy103

Praying for a female!
Reaction score
Just an information question.

I didn't notice this until I did my watering today.

I was trying to get a good sample of run off to test for the ph of the soil.
As I was gathering the run off I noticed how much "ran" off.

I am growing in 1 gallon pots with FFOC. I gave them 1 gallon of water each and I got 1/2 gallon of run off!

What's your experience?

are you watering that much to get water to test or do you always water that much? it seems excessive.

how much do you water them normally? you gotta figure a gal pot holds 1gal o f water, so a loose airy mix+roots can only be so dense in comparison to water. so if it is half as dense as water(so .5g/cm3) 1gal would only occupie half a gallon of actual space and so .5gal would fill the pot.

Here's a sticky that has LOTS of info on watering, runoff and how to arrive at the proper amount of watering for your plants:

hXXp://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33242

Good Luck!:cool:

A good rule of thumb is to water 20% the volume of your container to begin with. After that, you will kind of feel it out for yourself. As in: 5 gallon container--water with one gallon.

Aren't 1 gallon pots sorta small?

Thanks everyone.

But I was just asking as an information question.

I know exactly how much to water my plants and how much they need. They are on a specific feeding schedule. I give them plenty of water and plenty of oxygen during the dry cycle.

Like you said PencilHead, I give them around 20% of their container size and it works fine. Yeah, one gallon pots are relatively small but I have a small space.

Thanks Lotek. That makes sense to me. Maybe that's why I had so much run off.

I was just wondering what everyone else experience was with run off, that's all...

cuy103 said:
Thanks everyone.

But I was just asking as an information question.

I know exactly how much to water my plants and how much they need. They are on a specific feeding schedule. I give them plenty of water and plenty of oxygen during the dry cycle.

Like you said PencilHead, I give them around 20% of their container size and it works fine. Yeah, one gallon pots are relatively small but I have a small space.

Thanks Lotek. That makes sense to me. Maybe that's why I had so much run off.

I was just wondering what everyone else experience was with run off, that's all...

You say JUMP and we say HOW HIGH? :p

Okay...

So I watered tonight and here's my runoff amounts. I have two 10 gallon pots with two plants per pot. I've been alternating feedings with water and I'm on the first day of week 6 of flowering. I've had to water every 3-4 days early in this grow and now it's every 2-3 days depending on soil conditions and listening to the girls when they tell me it's time. Tonight I gave my girls a s-l-o-w watering, about 1/2 gallon each and then I'd let it soak in and come back 10 minutes later and add another 1/2 gallon. I repeated this process until I noticed some runoff and then I stopped. I ended up giving them about 2.5 gallons each. I got a little more than a quart of runoff from one pot and a little less than a quart off of the 2nd one which is about what I usually get I guess. My nute ph was 6.3 going in and the runoff was 6.1 coming out... It has been coming back 6.5 til now and I think it was a bit lower because I gave the girls a soil drench of a product I found online called TerraVive on the last watering. It's humic acid based soil conditioner with soil beneficial bacteria added. My ph probe still reads 6.5 so I think it's all good... the girls are in the home stretch!

Any-hooo... that's the skinny...

Peace!:cool:

Latest posts

Back