mylar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballmonkey7

Reaction score
has anybody heard of this stuff? is it better than tin foil at reflecting? plz get back to me

ballmonkey7 said:
has anybody heard of this stuff? is it better than tin foil at reflecting? plz get back to me

Is it better than tin foil? Tin foil sucks at reflecting u should try searching the forum for mylar, black and white poly, omniflect (which is like mylar but more durable and easier to clean) or just paint your walls flat white. I use flat white paint or poly. I might try some omniflect in the future.

i bought some mylar, 2 mil pretty strong stuff. themylarstoreonline.com. quick shipping also

ballmonkey7 said:

yes ,,,look around the grow journals or set up and design section ,,,,

tin foil is crap for your grow room it causes hotspots and doesnt reflect well ,,

:48:

ballmonkey7 said:
try thr search box in the above toolbar. I'm betting you find a wealth of info'..;)

UKgirl420 said:
yes ,,,look around the grow journals or set up and design section ,,,,

tin foil is crap for your grow room it causes hotspots and doesnt reflect well ,,

:48:

Oh here we go,the old tin foil hot spots myth.

Ukgirl420,its a myth,its not the best but tin foil is fine to use and does not cause hot spots.

Trust me on this one,I used to work in air-con so know my laws of thermodynamics.

Flat white paint is best on a budget but I've used reflective boards 'wallpapered' with foil as moveable reflectors and they did the job fine.

tin foil is the "least" effective/efficient reflective material commonly available...but don't "take my word"... research it for yourself..;)

Foylon 94-95
Reflective Mylar 90-95
Flat White Paint 85-93
Semi-Gloss White 75-80
Flat Yellow 70-80
Aluminum Foil 70-75

tin foil is a great product...for the B-B-Q...:D

Those aren't the values I found.
Mylar: 98% so multiple reflections are possible without losing much.
Aluminium foil, shiny side, 80%
Flat white paint, 80%
- I agree with Rockster but these arguments go on for ever ...

There are a million differnt ways to do things from what I have found. Stick to doing what works for you.

..my numbers came straight out of the cannabis grow bible.. by Greg Green..
Choosing the right surface for the walls of your grow room is very important, as up to 40% of your total yield comes from the edge, and the right wall surface can increase the amount of light those plants receive by up to 30%! Artificial lighting diminishes exponentially with distance, so it is important to ‘contain’ as much of this light as possible, and direct it accordingly. Reflective surfaces also help illuminate the lower portions of the garden, providing lower buds with light and heat energy.

To get the best results with your light and walls, it is important to get the walls as close as possible to your garden to ensure the least amount of light is wasted. As a caveat, the percentages provided are only useful as a general guideline, as they present the range of reflectivity of the particular surfaces. The high percentage presents the best possible circumstances for that material (for example a 99% reflectivity rating for mylar sheeting would be under ideal conditions - no creases, completely flat, no discoloration, etc).

The best way to determine how well your grow room walls reflect light would be to purchase a light meter and measure your light directly; then take an opaque board and hold it a few inches off one of your walls with the light meter below the board in such a fashion that the light reflects off the wall and onto the light meter. You can then compare the difference between the two and determine a percentage from those numbers, the closer the two numbers are, the better your wall reflects light. It is important that in both measurements, your light meter is the same distance from the light, otherwise your results will be skewed.

Also important to note is that radiant light energy refers to electromagnetic (EM) radiation with a wavelength between 400-700 nanometers (nm) and radiant heat energy correlates to EM radiation with a wavelength between 800-2000nm.

Listed below are some of the most commonly used materials used for grow room walls:

Foylon:

A more durable version of mylar, made of spun polyester fabric and reinforced with foil laminate. Foylon is resistant to most solutions, won't tear or fade, and can be wiped or washed clean.

A great solution for growers who are interested in long term use, and though it may be slightly more expensive than mylar, its durability will more than make up for its cost. It has the ability to reflect about 95% of the light and approximately 85% of the heat energy, so a good ventilation system should be used in conjunction with folyon.

A recommended method to attach Foylon to the walls would be using Velcro, as it makes taking it down for cleaning much easier nd reduces the risk of tearing, creasing or bending it. If this is used for your walls, making sure you get it flush with the wall with no pockets of air between it and the wall to prevent hotspots.

Mylar:

A highly reflective polyester film that comes in varying thickness, the most common being 1 and 2 mm thick. The 2mm thick mylar while not quite as durable as the foylon, is fairly rugged. The 1mm thick mylar tears fairly easily, so taking it down for cleaning is quite difficult without damaging it in the process. Both types of mylar are able to reflect approximately 92-97% reflective, giving it the potential to be more reflective than foylon, but because foylon is more easily cleaned without damaging it as well as it being harder to crease, foylon usually ends up being slightly more reflective. Important to note is that mylar reflects radiant heat energy just as well as foylon (around 85%), so proper ventilation is necessary if mylar is used in your grow room. Attaching this to walls can be done in a similar fashion as foylon, and the same caution should be used to avoid creating hotspots in your room. The 1mm thick mylar stands a fair chance of being creased or ripped in the process unfortunately, even if Velcro is used to attach to the walls.

C3 anti-detection film:

A specialized type of mylar that exhibits the same properties as the 2mm thick mylar, but in addition to reflecting approximately 92-97% of the light, it also is 90% infrared proof, making your grow room all but invisible to IR scanning. This can also be attached in the same manner as foylon or mylar, and the same caution should be used to avoid creating hotspots in your room.

Flat white paint:

Self explanatory; a great option for large grow rooms or for people who are interested in a low maintenance wall. Flat white paint has the ability to reflect between 75-85% of the light, and does not create hotspots. Adding a fungicide is recommended when painting.

Glossy and eggshell whites not reflect light as efficiently as flat white. Semi-gloss paint for example, only has the ability to reflect between 55-60% of the light. Also important to remember when using paint is that any smears or blemishes on the surface take away from how reflective the wall is so care should be taken to avoid marking or staining the walls. Titanium white paint is very reflective; however it is usually only used on reflectors due to its high cost.

Elastomere paint (info by furun)

A rubberized roofing paint with 90% reflection. Good for growboxes. Mildew resistant. Highly reflective.

Kool Seal White Elastomeric Roof Coating ~ $15.00 (1 Gallon)

Ultra high reflectivity
Forms a rubber-like blanket that expands and contracts
Adheres to almost any surface (very good on wood and metal)

just go to any camping supply even walmart whatever and buy emergancy blankets they just big mylar sheets realy cheap and great for building tents grow boxes whatever

I have to agree with Lizard about th eemergency blankets, works great in my fridge grow....Good Luck

Im useing foil atm got the good reflective poly stuff comming, but check out my grow in my album looks like the foil is kicking buttox to me so far LMAO

Marsrover1 said:
Im useing foil atm got the good reflective poly stuff comming, but check out my grow in my album looks like the foil is kicking buttox to me so far LMAO

You may think that it is kicking butt, but the truth is that it is less reflective (kicks less butt) than the following--mylar, panda film, flat white paint, semi-gloss white paint, and (really close to) flat yellow paint.

lizard said:
just go to any camping supply even walmart whatever and buy emergancy blankets they just big mylar sheets realy cheap and great for building tents grow boxes whatever

they are made of mylar then? im finding different things on these blankets online. some pages say a foil type stuff and some mylar and others a space age stuff wit polyester. im really curious cuz thats exactly wat i got thinkin it was mylar. but i chuked the packages and cant read package but they the ones in a brown cardboard lil box bout 2 bux like ya said in campin section at walmart. maybe its jsut me but my room seems a bit on the warm side since i added it for sure.
can anyone confirm or deny this emergency blanket thing. fact wise rather than personal pref. etc..? cusz if its not safe to use or does same as foil with the heat part i need take it down aslap lol.

Mylar and flat white get my vote. I'd prefer the paint, but some walls can'ts be painted. For those, there's mylar.
Tin foil is a joke... the science is there for that.

Latest posts

Back