The progress of my current and first grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganja_Greg

Cannabis Cultivation
Reaction score
Well i started this about 3 weeks ago not knowing what the hell i was doing then i found this forum website and man all of you have been a great help. I now have my own grow cabinet from following everyones advice on here and have learned so much about lighting and tempature all the basic stuff. im still not sure if my plant will make it or if i have enough lighting the temp may be to high sitting at 82 degree's right now but i hear as long as you can keep it under 85 your will be ok.. anways just wanted to make a new thread to follow the progress of my plant in its new home all probably be posting new pics every 5-7 days , and i still need to know where i can get a good exhaust fan for my cabinet.

its just a wee baby but belive it or not its like 2 1/2 weeks old just about , in one of my other post i was told that my plant was waaaay to tall for how little it was it had streched out of the dirt about 7 inches. now it sits about 2-3 inches tall and is doing great im running 24/7 light in its veg stage and plan on moving to 12/12 once its mature enough for flowering. so keep checking back here for updates if your interested! thanks everyone once again for all your help in setting up my first grow set up! again this is my very first grow

also , all i did when growing this plant was threw the seeds i got from some bud i had purchased from my normal guy into a one inch hole in some wet basic potting soil i had 2 sprouts one died and this one came after!

Also... here is my current set up and some pics

Lighting: 1 GE 100 watt equivalent CFL that gives off 1750 lumens and 6500k color and a Greenlight Brand 75w equivalent CFL that gives off 1200 lumens thats 2700k color and a 2' floro that gives another 1000 lumens and 13watt CFL that gives off another 800 and 4100k color

Grow Area: is a cabinet that ive turned into a grow box its about 3 feet tall and 1 1/2 feet wide i have a 6 inch circulation fan inside with venilation holes in the upper part of the box and 2 big holes on on the bottom for air intake and one on the top for exhaust the other ventilation holes i was talking about are just to keep the temp where i want it, the box is lined with tin foil ( i know it sux but its cheap) mylon was no where to be found when i went to lowes , home depot , and H&E & anderson truevalue. so this will have to do for now

strain: i have no clue it was a seed from some reg's i bought.

the 3rd pic over of the wire and tape in the top part of my box is to show the 4-5 inch gap behind the top shelf , which i thought was great for ventilation as well as storage ive also started drilling 1" holes in the shelf and side of the cabinet at the top for maximum ventilation

NEW PICS PAGE 2!

pictores 002-2.jpg

pictores 001-3.jpg

pictores 003-1.jpg

pictores 004-2.jpg

added another CFL , its 1200 lumen 75w equivalent or 18w. its probably not the right kinda CFL but it puts out alot of light so it cant hurt im guessing heres a pic . sitting at 3800 lumens for one plant in a 1 square foot area.

picta.jpg

The CFL You have in the green and gold fixture is the correct light for veg. It appears to be the 6500k color temp. Thats what you want to go with for the veg stage. Then switch to the warm white (2700k) for flowering..

Peace,
B

so is it pretty much pointless to have the new CFL i just put in?

Nice start.Is that foil around your box? Foil creates hot spots,and WILL burn your plants.Mylar,panda film or a coat of flat white paint around the sides are much better options.

Ganja_Greg said:
so is it pretty much pointless to have the new CFL i just put in?
No,as you said more light the better.

"in regards to the tin foil question , ya but the dull side is facing up , which should minimize the hot spots , i hate the tin foil to but i threw this box together in a day , im thinking ima get white paint cuz that seems to be what most ppl do , mylar was my first choice but its no where to be had.

lookin good, some more exhaust will help bring down your temperature, good to have circulation but gotta pull out the old air. Lose the tinfoil and paint it flat white, the foil maybe adds a little heat and isnt as good. The more mass filling your space, the harder to keep it cool. When you add more light, even just a few CFLs, you're going to bring up your temps a bit. check out my grow, even though I failed.. had a lot of trial and error with my temperature.

re: above post.. ebay $20ish

thestandard said:
lookin good, some more exhaust will help bring down your temperature, good to have circulation but gotta pull out the old air. Lose the tinfoil and paint it flat white, the foil maybe adds a little heat and isnt as good. The more mass filling your space, the harder to keep it cool. When you add more light, even just a few CFLs, you're going to bring up your temps a bit. check out my grow, even though I failed.. had a lot of trial and error with my temperature.

re: above post.. ebay $20ish

so flat white not semi gloss white? the shiney paint sounds like it would be better but what do i know about relective materials hehe also , where can i get an exhaust fan most ppl tell me to use an old computer fan and use a light dimmer to control it? im not electrician anyone got a step by step guide to doing this? im a computer technician by day so i should know how do but i dont wanna burn my house down

Your off to a good start. I have to concure with the others, get the foil out and paint it flat white. You'll nmotice a diff in temps if you do, from what i have seen, when others have posted about temps and were using foil peeps told them to ditch the foil and paint and of course add ventilation. But some only swapped out the foil for paint and dropped temp. Also when shopping for lights go to wally world and get the g.e. 26w three packs, they are the 2700k ones. Add them in with your lights you have now and you wont regret it. I didn't. Good luck with your grow and we are always here to help ya out.

Ganja_Greg said:
so flat white not semi gloss white? the shiney paint sounds like it would be better but what do i know about relective materials hehe also , where can i get an exhaust fan most ppl tell me to use an old computer fan and use a light dimmer to control it? im not electrician anyone got a step by step guide to doing this? im a computer technician by day so i should know how do but i dont wanna burn my house down

defintiley flat white :headbang2:

'Sup dude :ciao: Looks like your off to a good start. I agree with the others but use what you have until you can change it out. Mylar or flat white is best. Keep light a few inches from plant, Cfls dont generate alot of heat. Im pullin up a beanbag. peace, e :bong2:

mastersativa said:
Your off to a good start. I have to concure with the others, get the foil out and paint it flat white. You'll nmotice a diff in temps if you do, from what i have seen, when others have posted about temps and were using foil peeps told them to ditch the foil and paint and of course add ventilation. But some only swapped out the foil for paint and dropped temp. Also when shopping for lights go to wally world and get the g.e. 26w three packs, they are the 2700k ones. Add them in with your lights you have now and you wont regret it. I didn't. Good luck with your grow and we are always here to help ya out.

ya i got one of the G.E. 26w CFL with 2700k color , if you look at the top of this post there is a ton of info on everything im using. the other 2 lights im using etc...

main G.E. 2700k color 100w equivalent CFL light is exactly 3 inches from the top of the plant and the other 2 lights are backups for extra light which are still positioned within inches of the plant , the 2' bar style floro was given to me from a buddy of mine that grows im not exactly sure what kinda light it is but it looks like warm white... i think i will go to lowes tomorrow and get a quart of flat white and 1 more 2700k color 26w CFL for veg,, thanks guys

also , the help guide on this page under indoor grows says to use aluminum foil but face the dull side out to eliminate hot spots and be most reflective which is around 30-55%. thats why i chose foil ...

Yeah i saw that, i was just givin ya my opinion on what to use, not as though you hafta listen to what i say,lol. IME, from what i have studied and from the cfl grow i got goin now, I used a wally worl 2ft floro and two cfl's to start with, one of each spectrum. I then added two more the next week, one of each. Then the next week i added two more 2700k, and the week after that, the first week of flower, i added another two 2700k bulbs for a total of eight bulbs. I have removed the 2ft floro tube and bought another to use in my seedling box. Anyway enough rambling, IMO i justthink that adding more of the 2700k bulbs along with the veg bulbs you start with is the better way to go with the cfl's. But remember this is only my opinion from my grow, i am sure others have had different and similar experiences. What i do know as gospel though is that your plant will tell you what it wants if you listen.

And the lowdown on these cfl's, 5500k to 7500k for vegging, 2700k to 3000k for flowering.

all opinions WELCOME here! im a total newb so for you to help me at all is great IMO

Check out my grow bro, that was done with all cfl's, topping out at the eight bulbs i have now. You can see the fixtures and the setup in some of the pics.

The method of adding the lights along the way was done with this grow.

Latest posts

Back