The difference of Lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBFan

Days of Wine and....Roses
Reaction score
I started my harvest and thought I'd share a pic with you all. When I germinated, I ended up with 1 more female than I had room in my box for. How could I kill a girl? So she has sat outside my box with just a bit of light shining on her everyday (kind of an emergency back-up plant- lol). Other than that, same soil, nutes, age, etc.

Just thought I'd share the results for those not wanting to committ to the proper lighting. As has been said by thousands of people here- lights make all the difference. See if you can tell which one sat outside the box.

The second shot is the main cola off the bigger plant- total weight off this plant looks like it'll be just about 2 oz. dried and cured.

The smaller plant had a few buds for bubble hash but nothing really worth smoking.

That's quite a comparison, the photos should be made into a sticky!

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
Great post. I think we can all agree that getting lit is a good thing.

Now that's some funny stuff right there Doc.
Thanks.

what type of light do you use?? How many watts?? sweet looking bud:hubba: :48:

UKgirl420 said:
well bb fan which plant was it ??? the big one :confused: :48:

You would think so wouldn't you.
Imagine my surprise! :p

johnnybuds said:
what type of light do you use?? How many watts?? sweet looking bud:hubba: :48:

Hey Johnny- 8 plants in a 2.5' x 4' box under 2- 400w MH for veg and 2-360w HPS conversion bulbs for flower. Vegged 6 weeks and flowered 9- got a couple more still going. Thanks.

Nice looking bud... err bud haha. What is your reason for using a conversion bulb, besides not having an hps ballast. Is it just funds. A single 600 watt digital hps would put out more light that both of your 360w hps and your MH. And it can run standard MH bulbs. Not knocking you at all, I just have digital ballast fever as I can't wait to get some myself.

thanks thats an excellent comparison! Maybe should be made a sticky for newbies thinking they can grow some massive amount of pot on a window..? thanks for sharing :D

Tater said:
Nice looking bud... err bud haha. What is your reason for using a conversion bulb, besides not having an hps ballast. Is it just funds. A single 600 watt digital hps would put out more light that both of your 360w hps and your MH. And it can run standard MH bulbs. Not knocking you at all, I just have digital ballast fever as I can't wait to get some myself.

Hey Tater-
Actually, in some property I own there were a ton of light fixtures- still have them actually- 400 watt MH units. So I took some down and set up a grow box- only expense has been the conversion bulbs. Working fine so far- I'll give away 90% of my current grow and still have enough smoke for a year- I figure I'll end up with 10 - 12 oz.- 1 oz will last me a long time as I still have some left from my last grow.
I figure I'm getting about 8000 lumens per sq. ft. and good coverage with the 2 bulbs- do you think the 600w will do much better?
Thanks for the input.

If it meets your needs thats awesome. Me and the missus rip through about an oz or more a week. Plus what I give away. I'm like the weed santa among my family haha. Actually going to send a zip up to my bro in location uknown lol. Nice score on the MH lights, I had a few old ones out of a gymnasium, but then I found I wasn't getting most of my lumens because of the age of the magnetic ballast.

Keep it green.

Tater said:

Tater

The 600 watt digital is what i'm looking at.why would one be better then two smaller ones??

A 600 watt digital HPS with a good bulb will put out 90-95 000 lumens.

A 400 watt digital HPS with a good bulb will put out 40-45 000 lumens.

Your conversion bulbs in old magnetic ballasts are most likely hitting the 25-30 000 lumen range or less.

Tater said:
A 600 watt digital HPS with a good bulb will put out 90-95 000 lumens.

A 400 watt digital HPS with a good bulb will put out 40-45 000 lumens.

Your conversion bulbs in old magnetic ballasts are most likely hitting the 25-30 000 lumen range or less.

What would you use in watts for a 2.5' deep by 5' wide grow room? oh its 7.5' tall.

Tater-
Great info- thanks. Yeah, the units I'm using are old- you think I'm losing that many lumens? That drops me to the 5k lumen/sq ft- not what I was hoping for.- Like Johnny said- my space sounds close to his in size- 1 bulb would get better coverage than 2? Is there a light meter around to check lumens? Just thought I could get away cheap, but willing to spend to improve results.

Funny about the Santa line- I feel the same way but I was way off in my timing- by about 3 months with dry and cure time still. Even went out and bought some fancy jars to make them more "gift-like".

Thanks again for the info.

You are more than welcome. If your space 2.5 X 5 a single 600 watter will do you fine and save you some coin. Get a good reflector or build your own to suit your needs. 400 watt can cover about 2.5X2.5 feet and a 600 watt can do about 4X4 feet. I doubt you would need any side lighting.

What would you use in watts for a 2.5' deep by 5' wide grow room? oh its 7.5' tall.

Don't measure your requirement by watts because its meaningless, I know Ed Rosenloser does it in his Pot Doctor column in the magazines but some of the stuff I've read from this guy make it perfectly clear that either he has no idea what he's talking about, or he's gotten tired of explaining himself to dumb stoners. Either way watts is a horrible way to measure your lighting. Measure in lumens. 5000 lumens per sq ft.

You have 12.5 square feet so....
12.5 X 5000 = 62 500

A 400 would barely cover your needs and thats if you have it running at near 100 percent efficiency. A 600 would give you more than you need.

Tater said:
Don't measure your requirement by watts because its meaningless, I know Ed Rosenloser does it in his Pot Doctor column in the magazines but some of the stuff I've read from this guy make it perfectly clear that either he has no idea what he's talking about, or he's gotten tired of explaining himself to dumb stoners. Either way watts is a horrible way to measure your lighting. Measure in lumens. 5000 lumens per sq ft.

You have 12.5 square feet so....
12.5 X 5000 = 62 500

A 400 would barely cover your needs and thats if you have it running at near 100 percent efficiency. A 600 would give you more than you need.

I'm use to using lumens since i use t5 tubes now. thanks tater 600 it is:hubba:

Tater said:
A 400 watt digital HPS with a good bulb will put out 40-45 000 lumens
Huh? Agromax and Growbright 400HPS put out 55,000 each.The cheap-o bulbs from HTG put out 50,000.

Latest posts

Back