Alternative to Rockwool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonJones

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of you that use Rockwool. I never used it because I didn't like handling it or conditioning it. Instead I used Oasis foam cubes, which have their own pros and cons.

I was recently turned on to a new product called Sure To Grow that could be described loosely as Rockwool made from PET1 plastic in that they both come in sheets and blocks and are made of fibers.

The fibers in the Sure To Grow (STG) are very much more loosely woven that the Rockwool appers to be in the packages. It is very soft and resilient. It is PH neutral and chemically inert so far as water and nutrients go. It is instantly wettable. You just slowly pour water on to in until it runs out the bottom in seconds. Unless you get carried away the water doesn't even puddle up while you are pouring the water over it. It retains over 10 times its own weight of water. ( I tested a 7/8" x 7/8" 1" cube -- dry weight was 4 grams and weted weight after letting the excess drain out was 49 grams.) It was still moist to the touch three days later, and if you squeezed it on the 4th day the moisture was detectable.

I have spoken to a few people who have used it both as a cloning and seed starting medium and also for hydro. All of them have been just blown away by how well it works. Using it in hydro they have said it is so much easier to use than any thing they have tried and gives better result than anything they have tried. I'm trying it right now for both starting seeds and clones and considering that I'm having problems controlling the temperatures, it is working much better than the Oasis foam or Perlite. It is also way out performing any soil substitute or dirt.

If you are interested their web site is suretogrow.com proceeded by www.

Check it out and contact Matt in the customer service section and ask him where you can get it. He may send you some samples if you ask him. He sent me a hole bunch and even drove from Portland to Spokane 350 miles to see me and then back to Seattle another 300 miles instead of going straight to Seattle which is only 160 miles. That is about 500 miles out of route just to visit a small time new grower.

I can't remember ever being treated like that by anyone.

Good smoking.

I will have to look for those...very cool info thanks Don.

If you can't find them in the stores, go to their website and ask for Matt. Ask him for samples and information on buying them direct fro Sure To Grow.

I don't know if it will help or not, but you can tel him that I referred you. Maybe it will get me brownie points with him even if it doesn't help you.

When we opened the box and EJ cam eover and was messing with it she looked at me with a big grin, and asked me if I was dthinking what she was thinking. It came out that we both were thinking that the little pieces would make good pillow filling, but I warned her off from them.

When my daughter-in-law saw them she stole about a dozen of the 1" cubes just to play with them.

Good smoking.

Latest posts

Back