100 watt hps for seedlings, how close should it be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardercross91

Reaction score
hey everyone, im using my 100 watt hps light for my single plant this time around.im going to use it on my soon to be sprouts, light is roughly 2.5 feet from the now, how close or far should it be away from the seedling? doesnt put out too much heat, plenty of ventilation.

I have a 100w HPS flowering 2 males. I have it about 6 inches from them. I'd put it around 8-10 inches above your seedlings. The heat is comparable to some CFLs imo.

yes, i agree, the heat is actually less than a large cfl, so ill put them up a little closer to the light, thnx everyone

boardercross91 said:
yes, i agree, the heat is actually less than a large cfl, so ill put them up a little closer to the light, thnx everyone
if there still small seedlings do what Bombbudpuffa said back the light off till they get established then the closer the better :rolleyes:

It's not worth the risk of burning them. Seedlings can't stand much. Keep it three feet above until they are well established and if they start to stretch move it in, a little more each day. I am assuming you're using a good reflector and that most of the lamp will be on the plants. Otherwise you could move it closer.

Keep it three feet above
100w, 3 feet away=stretch...bad;). I don't even have my 250w 3 ft away from my seedlings:). More like 1 1/2 ft.

boardercross91 said:
hey everyone, im using my 100 watt hps light for my single plant this time around.im going to use it on my soon to be sprouts, light is roughly 2.5 feet from the now, how close or far should it be away from the seedling? doesnt put out too much heat, plenty of ventilation.
why are you growing seedlings with a HPS :confused:

because all my halides being used on my buddy's grow, so im just doing a small grow with this hps.

is hps sufficient for seedlings, i feel as if theres too much stretch for an hps, there growing very quick but i have them maybe a foot away from the light, no heat at all, in a very well ventilated room and its prolly around 75.

HPS will be fine, light is light, it's just not the best spectrum of light. My suggestion: Have it 8-12 inches away as a 100w isn't too powerful and watch them. They will grow a lot early so you're gonna need to check often and readjust the lights, but in general, the more light the better. Another suggestion, veg these for a month or until they get 14-18 inches (whichever comes first) and flower them. Since you have an HPS, it's best to do a bit of vegging and flower early, and reap the rewards of a little less bud, but way earlier. You're wasting resources by vegging more than that with an HPS.

I know for me, I use a 54 watt high output 20,000 lumens for my seedlings all the way to the flower room, then I go with 600's 6 inches off

Latest posts

Back