1000w MH bulb anyone use it b4????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugs4nuggs420

Ninja Grower
Reaction score
Whats up everyone, new grower looking for some help.

Got my new 1000w MH/HPS conversion system and had some questions about my MH bulb.

When I bought the system the dude packaged me up a 1000w MH bulb which I've never seen before. Everyone always talks about using a 400w or 600w MH on their vegging. Is their a Reason for that beside the high power bill for the 1000.

Just curious, wanna make sure I don't hurt the babies.

HI,

Thats a very powerful light source and you'll need to keep it at a good 3' from seedlings and small plants until they get acclimated to the intense light. It's also is going to run on the hot side and will require robust ventilation to pull the hot air out of the grow room. If you have a cool tube or a air cooled hood you'll eventually be able to get your plants within about a foot to 15" from your 1K HID light whether you run MH or HPS conversion... Lots of people veg with T5 fluoros or lower wattage HID lights to keep temps down and they can keep the light source closer to the plants which helps prevent stretch during veg growth.

Happy Growing!:cool:

Aight man thanks a lot. I know Hemp Goddess has an awesome instruction guide on making a cool tube I'll def check that out.

I can't really vent it's in my apartment closet but it's def up to specs on ur typical small grow room so I figure a cool tube mixed with some good fans would do just fine.

Thanks again man

hugs4nuggs420 said:
I know Hemp Goddess has an awesome instruction guide on making a cool tube I'll def check that out.

I'm not sure but I think that the 1000W bulbs are too big to put in the cool tube that she made. You might have to adjust some things. I could be wrong though.

HA, thought your screen name was thugs4nugs. Would be a sweet screen name.

Ok, for the grow. Be careful in apartment man. Be safe.

HI,

Hmmm... Imho you're in for quite a challenge if you're gonna grow with a 1K in a room without any exhaust ventilation and fresh air exchange. You may want to reconsider your light size. An average bedroom will heat up into the mid 80s pretty quick with a 1K and if you put one in a closet it will get 100º or hotter...:eek: You might get away with a 400w hps/mh in a bedroom without venting the hood outside but a 1K I just dont think will work unless you live in the Yukon...:hubba:Especially when it warms up this spring. And odor control is a major issue if you're going to fill up a room with budding plants. Even a plant or two can really stink up the whole apartment without ventilation because the odor particles keep building inside the grow room until they walk down your hall, pull up a chair at the dinner table and ask what's for chow? :rolleyes:

Anyhooo... Do LOTS of reading and we'll be glad to try to help. What kind of a pad do you live in? Multi unit building? Duplex? Do you have the attic above your pad and access up there? There are some options you may not have considered...

Peace!:cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
HI,

Hmmm... Imho you're in for quite a challenge if you're gonna grow with a 1K in a room without any exhaust ventilation and fresh air exchange. You may want to reconsider your light size. An average bedroom will heat up into the mid 80s pretty quick with a 1K and if you put one in a closet it will get 100º or hotter...:eek: You might get away with a 400w hps/mh in a bedroom without venting the hood outside but a 1K I just dont think will work unless you live in the Yukon...:hubba:Especially when it warms up this spring. And odor control is a major issue if you're going to fill up a room with budding plants. Even a plant or two can really stink up the whole apartment without ventilation because the odor particles keep building inside the grow room until they walk down your hall, pull up a chair at the dinner table and ask what's for chow? :rolleyes:

Anyhooo... Do LOTS of reading and we'll be glad to try to help. What kind of a pad do you live in? Multi unit building? Duplex? Do you have the attic above your pad and access up there? There are some options you may not have considered...

Peace!:cool:
Man, the part about the odors walking down the hall is hilarious

Yea man I live in a multi unit. It's all good though neighbors are cool and down with what I do. I do have attic access and it's right outside my room. I was considering putting some heating duct and an exhaust fan to pull out all the hot air from my system but I was hoping to wait to do that later in time when I have more room to work with.

The smell isn't a huge concern to me at this time but heat is no doubt, I need to do something about it.

Also all this is temporary, mostly just for 1 grow. I'm moving out in May to a bigger more private place so any quick fixer for now will do fine, i'll just have to deal with whatever.

If your moving in May, your plan is to fire up grow right now?? Huh?

Read some of the stickies about general indoor cultivation and some about lighting.

You're not gonna be able to pull this off with any sorta grace unless you do some reading and format a solid plan. Sorry, but JMO.

I can't really vent it's in my apartment closet but it's def up to specs on ur typical small grow room so I figure a cool tube mixed with some good fans would do just fine.

With no venting it is a waste of time to even try to grow in a closet with a 1000 watts:((unless you have a huge closet, even then you need ventilation for fresh supply of CO2:()

I have a 1000w MH going right now in an air cooled hood with a 450 cfm fan pulling the heat out of the grow and it still gets warm in inside my tent.. A MH bulb gets very hot, hotter than the HPS..

Cool thanks everyone for the Input. Ill hold off on the MH for now and keep vegging with my flories, I've had decent crops using them already, 1 more won't hurt.

Happy growing everyone :)

dirtyolsouth said:
HI,

THAT IS THE TRUTH RIGHT THERE! My last grow was white widow, white rhino, and ak-48 in a setting just like you've got. Multi-unit apt closet grow. Towards harvest, I and others could smell it when they took the trash to the dumpster down at the next building. I now use a good carbon filter with a good blower, and can't smell it in the next room. I would burn incense all day long, and when people came over, they still said my house stil wreaked of it. In my experience, the more stealth about it you can be, and the less neighbors know (even if they are cool with it), increases your odds of being successful, and not being caught, unless you live where it is legal, or have a med card like my wife does.;)

im germinating now when can i put under light im runnin 430 ????
any feed back apreciated

Latest posts

Back