Advertise On Marijuana Passion

1st grow ever

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
Hi everyone,
ok, here it goes.... we r in the beginning of the 6th week of flowering
my 5 girls r OG (dat what the guy said dat sold me the clones)
4x4 tent, organic,coco and perlite mix, under 600W hps, both hood and ballast r Xtrasun ( looking to move under 1000W hps as soon as i'm able to manifest some $$$)
I have AC running inside of the tent, so the temp is usually low 70s high 60s
Can't figure out how to keep the humidity down... its really high.. from mid 50s to mid 70s sometimes. As a result ( IMHO) we got Powdery Mildew, for the second time... first time i almost poisoned myself with Serenade (ugh..gross..), this time i did water and skim milk 9:1 ratio, fingers crossed...
OK, here is where i really messed up..... (u can laugh now to save some time later). Even with a written schedule, i've managed to space out and fed them same food two weeks in a row. I'm suppose to flush today and change food tomorrow, what should i do?? (I'm feeding them Advanced Foriculture with some MgCal)
Thank you everyone

05180835.jpg


05180837a.jpg


05180835b.jpg


05180836.jpg


05180837.jpg
 
R

Roddy

Guest
:welcome: and here :48: have a toke! Nice looking grow, mind if I pull up a chair and relax a bit??
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
Thanks.
How do i keep the humidity down? Those dehumidifiers r way expensive....
 

Alistair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
1,992
Reaction score
1,319
Humidity and temperature control done properly require intake and exhaust; the exhaust exits through a hole in the wall or ceiling, for example. I, myself, do not have a proper setup, so humidity and temperature can be a problem. I simply have a fan blowing air our and another one blowing air in. One way to eliminate humidity problems is to make sure not to over-crowd the grow space.

There are experts on the subject, and if you stick around, someone will set you up with good advice.

Welcome to MP forum.
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
Alistair said:
Humidity and temperature control done properly require intake and exhaust; the exhaust exits through a hole in the wall or ceiling, for example. I, myself, do not have a proper setup, so humidity and temperature can be a problem. I simply have a fan blowing air our and another one blowing air in. One way to eliminate humidity problems is to make sure not to over-crowd the grow space.

There are experts on the subject, and if you stick around, someone will set you up with good advice.

Welcome to MP forum.
Thank u, I'll try the fans :)
 

tcbud

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
4,467
Reaction score
3,580
Looking good. Big bummer about the powdery mildew. I am sorry I have no experience in that. I'd like to watch tho.

Welcome again that_girl.
 

Hamster Lewis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
16,529
Reaction score
3,731
You mention you have ac running inside the tent? No mention of your ventilation set up though.....you need to exchange the air in your tent with an inline fan....that is how you help keep humidity down. I have a 6 inch inline fan cooling my 600w HPS in a cool tube and it also does dbl duty by exchanging the air in my tent as well....passive intakes are located along the bottom of the tent to draw in the cooler air that sits low. I exhaust the hot air out a window. Jmo
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
tcbud said:
Looking good. Big bummer about the powdery mildew. I am sorry I have no experience in that. I'd like to watch tho.

Welcome again that_girl.
Thank u :) it looks like the milk is working there is only a bit left on some leafs that i couldn't reach... it's prob way to early to judge...
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
Hamster Lewis said:
You mention you have ac running inside the tent? No mention of your ventilation set up though.....you need to exchange the air in your tent with an inline fan....that is how you help keep humidity down. I have a 6 inch inline fan cooling my 600w HPS in a cool tube and it also does dbl duty by exchanging the air in my tent as well....passive intakes are located along the bottom of the tent to draw in the cooler air that sits low. I exhaust the hot air out a window. Jmo
I dont have an inline fan.. there is a tube that is connected to the hood that goes outside... but the lamp is covered with a glass...:( however, i found the passive intakes :woohoo: it made a bit of a difference (low 60s)
thank u
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,292
Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air, even if you can keep temps in line without it. You really should have an exhaust fan to get air exchange--out with the old and in with the new.

I am curious why you stripped so many lower branches?
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
Thanks everyone, i added the fan (and the filter, and the new 1000w). the humidity is 55 :woohoo:
@ Goddess the reason i picked the leafs is because i'm a rookie and listened to a friend with 'experience' :)
The pics attached are form two days ago when i was freaking out and thought they r not comfortable with their sexuality :hubba: (i think they look ok now)
thank u again for all the tips , and more comments are always welcome

pic 1.1.jpg


pic 3.1.jpg


pic 4.1.jpg


pic 2.1.jpg
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
Irish said:
ya gotta love those 'experienced' friends. :doh: you always need air moving in your grow. the more the better. ventilation is #1 in tent growing. without proper air in/out, your grow will suffer greatly.

i never used to trim my lowers, then was talked into it by a friend here, and gave it a try on my indoor grow. it is a very useful tool when you pack em in the way i do. i can get far better air moving this way in there. just dont remove any more in this grow, and you should do just fine.

i'm sorta confused looking at your scrog netting. the idea is to fill in the entire top of the screen, while plants are in veg. as they grow up thru the screen, you want to train the top shoots back thru a square next to it, until the entire screen is filled. then switch the lights to flower.

you have the right idea working now though, and it's all a never ending learning experience. from what you learn with this grow, you will knock the next out the park.

is this your first grow that girl? well, stick around, and the members at mp will always be your best resource on grow details. peace...
Thank you Irish, yeah its a first grow, thats why the scrog looks so pathetic, it was done waaay into flowering. I'm learning. thanks for the kind words though. I have two weeks left to go and a never ending PM issue.... i have a new thread in Sick and Problem plants..:fid:
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,292
that_girl said:
Thanks everyone, i added the fan (and the filter, and the new 1000w). the humidity is 55 :woohoo:
@ Goddess the reason i picked the leafs is because i'm a rookie and listened to a friend with 'experience' :)
The pics attached are form two days ago when i was freaking out and thought they r not comfortable with their sexuality :hubba: (i think they look ok now)
thank u again for all the tips , and more comments are always welcome
No sexual confusion there--nanners look different. Your plants are looking quite fine.

Sorry to see you have a powdery mildew problem again. I live in a real arid climate and have never had that problem as my RH consistently runs low. Someone will be along with experience with PM to help you, I am sure.

Great job for a first grow!
 

4u2sm0ke

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
17,336
Reaction score
13,503
:hubba:

stick around..You will only get better

nice nails...and a couple hermies...and Hope you dont get any

take care and be safe

pic_1_1.jpg


hermie2.jpg


Hermie.jpg
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
The Hemp Goddess said:
No sexual confusion there--nanners look different. Your plants are looking quite fine.

Sorry to see you have a powdery mildew problem again. I live in a real arid climate and have never had that problem as my RH consistently runs low. Someone will be along with experience with PM to help you, I am sure.

Great job for a first grow!
Thank you THG :) the guys at the Sick and Problem plants are saying that i cant smoke it :shocked: and there is not much i can do right now :cry: NOTHING AT ALL????
 

jbyrd

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
74
Reaction score
9
Hey there - It all depends on how bad it is. Are the buds covered, like bud leaf and all? Or is it just on your fans and stems/stalk? If you've kept it controlled then you will be fine. Here's some info that I posted in another thread in sick plants section that could help you out, certainly for future runs.

---------------------
Almost everything mentioned here will help you 'control' PM...The suggestions for controlling in the later stages (Peroxide, Baking Soda) all good, just not directly on your buds. Keep culling affected leaves and spot treating until you get through flower, that's about all you can ethically do. Don't be a douchebag and treat your buds with chemicals and give them to other people to smoke...

When I've had to deal with PM in the past, this is what works for me.

1. Finish your current flower run...try to save what you can by using the leaf culling method and spot treatment. You can even use greencure up through flower, just NOT ON YOUR BUDS...stem and leaf only.

2. Scrub your room....and I mean scrub...bleach wash your walls and all surfaces in your room. Make it Surgically clean. Cleanliness is next to Godliness...LOL

Here's where I might take some criticism....I'm a new guy here...second post and all and I have a difference of opinion on the use of sulfur burners, etc. They all work to control PM...which means...you will ALWAYS be controlling PM. I did the same thing, for almost two years...cleaned, burned sulfur, sprayed greencure and other hydro shop PM remedies, all the organic methods, etc. They all work fine for 'control'.

Ok - moving on

3. Get your environment under control. If you do NOT want issues in your grow room, you need to make the room a 'real' grow room and spend the cash to buy the items needed to control your environment. Dehum, A/C, Ventilation, Circulation are all critical to maintaining an optimum grow environment. If you can't control this, you will always be fighting something and not growing to your potential.

4. Clean your room....yeah, I said it...but it warrants saying it again. Your grow room should be kept clean, not like a teenagers bedroom :)

5. Use a systemic product for treatment. You can use Eagle 20, I prefer Immunox, made by Spectricide. It contains the same active ingredient as Eagle 20 (myclobutanil) and costs less (about 13$). Treat your plants with the recommended dosage.

6. Clean your room

That's it...your done. No continued burning of sulfur, treating with Greencure or whatever PM spray floats your boat. This is a one time deal. I live in the Santa Barbara, CA. area and PM runs rampant...and it did in my room until I did the above. I have not seen it since from my plants, It was coming out in cuts, cuts of those cuts, etc...I've been running a couple of strains for over 9 years now and those treasured mom's had it. It has not come back in those either. I've completed over 6 runs since I used it and it has not been back...period.

I know everyone tells you there is no cure, your stuck with it once it's systemic. Well, Immunox is systemic with a half-life of 24 days. It will kill the PM systemically and it will NOT come back unless you bring something in or have not...cleaned your room like momma told you..lol.

I hope this helps some people...a friend of mine from the NorCal area told me about Immunox after watching me struggle on another board with PM for quite some time. I'm glad he did.

Finally...don't use it in flower...duh..lol. You can use up to the flip, maybe week 1 or 2 but I wouldn't go beyond that.
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
jbyrd said:
Hey there - It all depends on how bad it is. Are the buds covered, like bud leaf and all? Or is it just on your fans and stems/stalk? If you've kept it controlled then you will be fine. Here's some info that I posted in another thread in sick plants section that could help you out, certainly for future runs.

---------------------
Almost everything mentioned here will help you 'control' PM...The suggestions for controlling in the later stages (Peroxide, Baking Soda) all good, just not directly on your buds. Keep culling affected leaves and spot treating until you get through flower, that's about all you can ethically do. Don't be a douchebag and treat your buds with chemicals and give them to other people to smoke...

When I've had to deal with PM in the past, this is what works for me.

1. Finish your current flower run...try to save what you can by using the leaf culling method and spot treatment. You can even use greencure up through flower, just NOT ON YOUR BUDS...stem and leaf only.

2. Scrub your room....and I mean scrub...bleach wash your walls and all surfaces in your room. Make it Surgically clean. Cleanliness is next to Godliness...LOL

Here's where I might take some criticism....I'm a new guy here...second post and all and I have a difference of opinion on the use of sulfur burners, etc. They all work to control PM...which means...you will ALWAYS be controlling PM. I did the same thing, for almost two years...cleaned, burned sulfur, sprayed greencure and other hydro shop PM remedies, all the organic methods, etc. They all work fine for 'control'.

Ok - moving on

3. Get your environment under control. If you do NOT want issues in your grow room, you need to make the room a 'real' grow room and spend the cash to buy the items needed to control your environment. Dehum, A/C, Ventilation, Circulation are all critical to maintaining an optimum grow environment. If you can't control this, you will always be fighting something and not growing to your potential.

4. Clean your room....yeah, I said it...but it warrants saying it again. Your grow room should be kept clean, not like a teenagers bedroom :)

5. Use a systemic product for treatment. You can use Eagle 20, I prefer Immunox, made by Spectricide. It contains the same active ingredient as Eagle 20 (myclobutanil) and costs less (about 13$). Treat your plants with the recommended dosage.

6. Clean your room

That's it...your done. No continued burning of sulfur, treating with Greencure or whatever PM spray floats your boat. This is a one time deal. I live in the Santa Barbara, CA. area and PM runs rampant...and it did in my room until I did the above. I have not seen it since from my plants, It was coming out in cuts, cuts of those cuts, etc...I've been running a couple of strains for over 9 years now and those treasured mom's had it. It has not come back in those either. I've completed over 6 runs since I used it and it has not been back...period.

I know everyone tells you there is no cure, your stuck with it once it's systemic. Well, Immunox is systemic with a half-life of 24 days. It will kill the PM systemically and it will NOT come back unless you bring something in or have not...cleaned your room like momma told you..lol.

I hope this helps some people...a friend of mine from the NorCal area told me about Immunox after watching me struggle on another board with PM for quite some time. I'm glad he did.

Finally...don't use it in flower...duh..lol. You can use up to the flip, maybe week 1 or 2 but I wouldn't go beyond that.
Wow, man thank you sooooooooo much, thank you for taking the time out and writing such a detailed reply.
its mostly on the leafs, there is a little bit on some buds that are close to the walls of the tent, i'm currently using skim milk and water (1:9) to spray.
Im gonna stay away from the sulfur burner, and do the nicotine wash after i cut them, a friend here in LA that grows organic for quite a while said it worked for him and there were no traces of mold when they did a test....
I'll def try that stuff for my next babies. and yes, def clean , not just smear some bleach on the floor :)
Thanks again
 

jbyrd

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
74
Reaction score
9
Right on :) When you finish this run, treat everything in your veg area with the immunox and you should be good to go as long as you've meticulously cleaned everything.

As for treating after your harvest, you can use a 1:10 ratio of peroxide/water instead of the nicotine method. The peroxide will kill the spores more efficiently than nicotine. Any bud that has PM on it is trash. If you have another week or two left, I would go ahead and whack the ones that are affected now to get as much of the PM out of your area as possible.
 

that_girl

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
2
jbyrd said:
Right on :) When you finish this run, treat everything in your veg area with the immunox and you should be good to go as long as you've meticulously cleaned everything.

As for treating after your harvest, you can use a 1:10 ratio of peroxide/water instead of the nicotine method. The peroxide will kill the spores more efficiently than nicotine. Any bud that has PM on it is trash. If you have another week or two left, I would go ahead and whack the ones that are affected now to get as much of the PM out of your area as possible.
Will do, for sure... I guess now i just have to seat on my hands and wait....
:holysheep: LOOOOOOVE ur beautiful organic set up!!! (drooling)
 
Top