1st time grow question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growboy19

Reaction score
A friend of mine's mother recently got her medical marijuana card. She is willing to let me be her caregiver if I'll hook her up for free. Under the law, I'm legally allowed to grow up to 12 plants for her. She doesn't smoke that much so I'm figuring a qt oz a month should be plenty for her. That being the case, I will have plenty extra for myself. How much (weight) can I reasonably expect to harvest from each plant after drying and curing? I know all strains produce different amounts, but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. I plan on running a 1000w MH/HPS for veg and flowering respectively. I will be using Foxfarm soil and nutes. As far strain I plan to grow, I'm not sure, but I don't anticipate growing anything too difficult for my first time. I'm open to suggestions. Anything that's a sat/indy cross with a cerebrel high is what I'm looking to grow. My plan is to allow for roughly 4-5 weeks of veg growth before flowering them. I'm hoping to get 2oz per plant so will a month of veg growth be enough to produce 2oz/pp? If not, how long would I need to veg them for? Thanks for any insight you can offer.

There are too many factors to say how much weight you can get from 12 plants... How long they veg, strain, nutes, temps, stress.... I know with a commercial strain I could harvest 30 oz with a 8-9 week veg and the nutes that I use...

Theres no way to tell how much you will get...

Like MindzEye said you can't predict what kind of weight you will get at harvest time...to many variables...I wld say set your goals on just growing healthy plants and let the yield fall where it will...

:ciao:..I found Norther light to be easy...good luck to you take care and be safe

Thanks all...

Anyone familiar with dutchbreed.com? They got some nice looking strains...

never heard of them...I usually use Attitude, nirvana, dopeseeds, or single seed centre...

Just a ballpark figure...for inside hydro grow (I know you are soil) if you get a 1/4 lb off of each plant, you're doin' real fine....even if you get half of that, you still did pretty well

I hve gotten 2 oz's dry per plant off of the Auto strain Russian Rocket Fuel...

Have you got a space set up? Tell us about it. Getting a space set up should be your number 1 concdern and priority. Providing optimum growing conditions will do more for yield than anything else. You should have everything set up, running, and dialed in before you germ even 1 seed.

I think that 24 ozs per harvest with a 1000W and a new grower will be tough to attain. A 1000W is good for 30 sq ft max (I have a 1000W in 19.5 sq ft and am switching over to 2 600W soon). I also believe that you will need more than 4-5 weeks veg time if you are talking about the time from seed (or taking clones) to putting into flower.

I think that you should also plan on giving your cardholder more than 1/4 oz per month. I can go through that in a night. Seven grams is just not that much:eek:

The Hemp Goddess said:
Have you got a space set up? Tell us about it. Getting a space set up should be your number 1 concdern and priority. Providing optimum growing conditions will do more for yield than anything else. You should have everything set up, running, and dialed in before you germ even 1 seed.

I think that 24 ozs per harvest with a 1000W and a new grower will be tough to attain. A 1000W is good for 30 sq ft max (I have a 1000W in 19.5 sq ft and am switching over to 2 600W soon). I also believe that you will need more than 4-5 weeks veg time if you are talking about the time from seed (or taking clones) to putting into flower.

I think that you should also plan on giving your cardholder more than 1/4 oz per month. I can go through that in a night. Seven grams is just not that much:eek:

:yeahthat:

I don't have my grow-room set-up yet. I will be moving into a new house in October/November and that's where I will be growing. I will be using a spare bedroom as my grow-room. The room is small (10X12) but plenty big for my operation. I won't have all the details ironed out until I move in and can get set-up. Yes I will not be germinating any seeds until I'm ready to go. I don't have the seeds yet anyway. Would you recommend running two 600w ballasts instead of one 1000w? I have done a good amount of research, just lack experience, which obviously is the most important thing. As far as a qt oz not being enough, I'm pretty confident it will be as she doesn't smoke that much. If it's not, I should have plenty leftover.

i got lil over an ounce with Zero veg time from each bubblicious pheno i grew, you should get at least a couple ounces with a month veg time!

growboy19 said:
I don't have my grow-room set-up yet. I will be moving into a new house in October/November and that's where I will be growing. I will be using a spare bedroom as my grow-room. The room is small (10X12) but plenty big for my operation. I won't have all the details ironed out until I move in and can get set-up. Yes I will not be germinating any seeds until I'm ready to go. I don't have the seeds yet anyway. Would you recommend running two 600w ballasts instead of one 1000w? I have done a good amount of research, just lack experience, which obviously is the most important thing. As far as a qt oz not being enough, I'm pretty confident it will be as she doesn't smoke that much. If it's not, I should have plenty leftover.

Since you have so much space, you may want to plan 2 "rooms". I am real partial to a perpetual harvest type of grow. I have separate veg and flowering space. I put 1-2 new plants into the flowering room every 7-14 days :)ookay that is the plan, but sometimes due to circumstances beyond my control, I cannot follow this schedule, but I try for it :eek:). I can the n harvest 1-2 plants every 7-14 days. I keep more than 12 plants to follow this schedule, but you could modify it somewhat. With a 1000W or 2 600W (this would be my choice) you can grow fewer plants larger.

There is a huge learning curve with this growing stuff. I have been growing (off and on) since the early 80s and steady for the last 10 years and I still learn new stuff all the time and technology keeps getting better and better. Most of the younger people here would not believe how primitive things were 30 years ago and how far we have come (and how much better the smoke is:D). Jeez, we can now pick what kind of high we want and buy seeds that will accomplish that!

I would be for giving my cardholder 1/2 of my harvest. You also should have far more than you will need. She needs it medicinally. She should be able to put some back for "a rainy day". You are still very young--be more than generous--she is the reason that you are able to grow legally--that is huge.

Two rooms are the (only) way to go in my very limited opinion....

BTWIf your homey's ma needs some weed makes sure you have more to give her than your "left over" weed...c'moan now....I will tell you now that the best way to use this forum if you need advice is to get a camera and document your grow and problems/success for all....(I'm speaking from experience because my broke *** doesn't have a camera and I TOTALLY wish I did..if for no other reasons than my kids and this site...in that order..hardy har har......
I bet if you took some pics of your space there would be some knowin *** people here to give you some input that you would have to grow for years to learn......
you'll do fine...especially as long as you keep your sick friend's mamma happy and safe....

Thanks everyone:

The truth is she really isn't that sick. She just gets occasional back pain. I'm pretty sure she lied to her doctor about how severe her pain is just so she could get a card. I understand she is helping me out big time by allowing me to be her caregiver. However, I'm also helping her out by not charging her anything (her current caregiver charges her like 140 for a qt, fricon more than street prices). I plan on selling a lot of my extra buds so I can pay for school. I'm living in an economically depressed area and jobs are very hard to come by right now. Therefore, I need this grow op to get me through school. It's great that I can legally grow, but I'll still have to be careful when selling to others. My brother lives in a college town so I plan on letting him do much of the distribution. I will only be selling to close friends of mine. This being the case, I plan on giving her a qt to half oz a month, if she needs more then I'll give her more.

I think for my first grow I'm going to veg them for only 3-4 weeks then flower them just so I can get rolling. I like the idea of having two separate grow areas. Perhaps I will quick veg 6 plants then transfer those 6 to flower, and leave the other 6 to veg for another 3-4 weeks before flowering them. I can only have 12 plants going at a time just in case I get raided or something. So when the first 6 are done flowering, a new 6 will start vegging.

growboy19 said:
Thanks everyone:

The truth is she really isn't that sick. She just gets occasional back pain. I'm pretty sure she lied to her doctor about how severe her pain is just so she could get a card...

When I live in a MMJ state, that's what I'm going to do :hubba:. My back hurts (really) :)

Just so it gets mentioned, you may want to look at the autoflower strains to get started.

yea I mean I know my doctor would never fall for it, but she has had back surgery in the past and she's pretty hot so.....

Latest posts

Back