2nd Grow, first journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KushmasterJ

Dont panic, its organic
Reaction score
Alright so this is the second garden that I've set up and so far things are going beautifully. I'm starting this journal about a month into the grow, my strains are Dabney Blueberry, Sour Diesel, and UK Cheese (I'm growing 2 of each). All grown from clones attained from a medical marijuana vendor who deals only with clones. The Dabney Blueberry's have about a 3 week head start on the other 4 plants.

I'm growing in a walk-in closet with a single 1000 watt light running off a lumatek digital ballast. The walls are lined with mylar and the floor and lower part of the walls are lined with panda film. The bulb is water cooled using the Best Coast Growers Fresca Sol fixture, this elminates virtually all heat radiated from the bulb and is simply amazing(if anyone has any questions about this product i will be more than willing to share what i know), there is a 5-7% reduction in lumens but using it enables me to place the light much closer to plant tops which more than makes up for the loss. The room is cooled using a 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner, I also run a 20 inch oscilating fan for the plants and a carbon filter with a vortex fan placed on top to elminate odor. I'm able to keep the room temperature at around 75 degrees never rising above 80. My room is completely sealed and is supplemented with a CO2 tank, I'm using the arbitrary(but still very effective) method of running the regulator on a timer with intervals until I am able to afford a controller. Another very important element in my garden is the godsend known as Gorilla Tape.

Im growing all 6 plants in 15 gallon pots (completely unnecessary for my two month veg period, i got them for free but still wish I would have used 10 gallon pots instead). Im using fox farm ocean forest soil with some extra worm castings, bat guano, and finely powdered dolomite lime added to the mix. I supplement the soil with Earth Nectar/Earth embrosia Mychorrizal fungi, one is the fungi the other is what the fungi eat. All of the nutrients I use are organic: Earth Juice Grow,Bloom, and Microblast, General Hydroponics Floralicious Grow and Bloom (as a foliar spray), I also occasionally use some Liquid Karma. As a preventative measure I use Green Cure Fungicide, an organic fungicide. I store the water in a 20 gallon Brute trashcan, the water is run through a reverse osmosis filter, ph adjusted, and temperature adjusted with a fishtank heater. One of the benefits of growing in such large containers is the near impossibility of overwatering, it is very easy to judge when they need their food and with so much soil I can give them half to a full gallon of water every other day or so without having to worry about it being too much and they seem very satisfied.

All plants are grown using the LST method and coiled around the inside of the pots, held down with rubber coated wire hanger's and some plant ties.

In the first attached thumbnail which shows all six plants, the two big ones on the left are the Dabney Blueberry's, the Sour Diesels are in the middle, and the UK Cheeses are in the back... once again the DB's have a head start, the Sour Diesels are growing a little faster than the cheeses, all of the plants are rotated regularly. I plan on switching to flower after they have been growing for 2 months or so, the DB's will have close to 3 months under their belts.

001.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

Yeah here is a picture of the light, the bulb is enclosed in one glass tube which is enclosed in a second larger glass tube. the water runs inbetween the two tubes and obviously never touches the actual bulb. you can see 2 yellow hoses running from the fixture, they both lead to a 30 gallon reservoir(brute trash can) with a water pump sending the water through one hose from the bottom of the trash can through the light fixture and then back to the top of the water through the other hose. the recommended reservoir size is 50 gallons but having the portable a/c right next to it allows me to use the 30 gal without having to worry about the water in the reservoir getting too hot. the hot water stays at the top and cool water at the bottom and is constantly circulated through the fixture... this system can also be combined with a water chiller to be even more effective.

light.jpg

reservoir.jpg

Go Go Gadget Grow. I love it.

Not too fussed on the water cooled shade though; but I have a fear of hot things + water + electricity.

How does the water not diffuse the light through refraction?

the lumens are reduced by 5-7 percent... it is a fairly thin layer of water between.. but like i said no bulb heat = closer to plant tops which maximizes my lights efficiency. Ive made sure all electrical wiring is kept in a safe, waterproof space... worst thing that could but probly would never happen is water somehow getting to the bulb and burning it out...

Cleaned my room today, couldnt help but have a photoshoot :D

Think i decided to be a little more patient and veg for at least 4 more weeks rather than 2.... they just keep getting bigger and bigger:watchplant:

setup.jpg

family.jpg

woot.jpg

looking fantastic ,,,,and expect them to double in height at least ,,,i did answer in your other thread :p

pulling up my stool to :watchplant:

Noticed the water in my cooling fixture was looking a little foggy lately so I talked to a buddy of mine that is a fish expert and he hooked me up with a fishtank filter that will make the water I run through the fixture crystal clear. I've seen some of tanks he's set up and I'm pretty sure this will make my light more effecient.:joint4:

foggy water has to be blocking precious lumens

Well the plants are looking great, getting harder not to switch these giants to flower but the idea of a bigger yield from a little extra patience is worth it to me.. as of now the official date of transition is set for Dec 7th.
I'll post some pictures in a day or two, nothing too exciting to look at until they start budding but I'm sure some might be interested in how they're looking...

Cant wait to see how they look when they start budding:guitar:

hey kushmaster are you gonna threw up some pics of the clones when you ve took them :peace:

Yeah I think the room is ready for a good cleaning tonight too, so ill have some pics of the plants and a couple of the clones posted too:lama:

So time for a bit of an update, a few things have happened in this last week or so. The plants started looking a little pale at the start of this month, nothing too bad figured they just need a little more nutes, so I started giving them some extra ferts just to see them develop what looked to be a potassium and manganese deficiency, nothing TOO bad though. At about the same time I was planning on cloning a couple of the plants... so when i was preparing to do this i tested the ph of my water to find that the filter i was using had in the last week or two failed, the test strip read it at about 8.5 :doh:
Oh yeah and all that feeding to cure those deficiencies also brought some fungus gnats into my garden haha... amateur stuff i know.
Anyway I went straight to the hydro store and bought a hydro-logic reverse osmosis filter, flushed the plants thoroughly, let the soil dry for a day and fed them with some crystal clear water and neem oil to take care of the gnats... they were gone in about a day. I foliar fed them once to help with the deficiencies until the soil was dry enough to fertilize again(which i did yesterday). The ph of the soil is about 6.8 and they're turning back to a nice green, haven't seen any signs of further deficiencies and the clones were taken and are looking great(about 4 days old)

Cant wait to see how much further my babies have improved once the lights turn on again :farm:

sorry to hear of your poor ladies troubles ,,:fid:,but it sounds like you have sorted it out ,,,,looking forward to more pics :peace:

So i finally took the time to take some shots of the girls, everything is going beautifully... day 18 of flower

Big closets= Big smiles :lama:

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

this is the first example i have seen of this technique... they look REALLY NICE... i am jealous... can't wait to see what kind of yield you get from this!

Latest posts

Back