400 W HPS. Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster26

Reaction score
Is it bad to have a 400 W HPS further then 24 In (2 feet) from the plant. i had it at 2 feet but temps were like 81 82 the further i move it away the more the temp drops but i dont wanna move it to far where the plants dont get the light they need

Hey there masterblaster26,
Even at two feet it is throwing a ton of light. Place your hand between the top of your plant, and the light, if it feels too hot for your hand adjust the light farther away, you can use a temp gauge and hold it at the tops of your plants for a few and see what the temp is. I keep my grow between 74* and 78* degrees. I understand that sativas like it a touch warmer, but I seem to be doing just fine where I am at.
Last, but not least slow up a bit, and watch and see if your grow becomes stretchy, if it starts doing that then perhaps move the light a little closer. I really think with a 400 Watter your going to be fine dude.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

if you check my grow, i have a 400hps in an attic. The hardest place to keep temps at bay. what ever you need to keep the temp under 80.

maybe put a fan on them, helps with circulation and may help with temps at the top of plants as well.

Do you have a glass plate on the bottom of your lamp? When I bought my lamp it didnt come with the glass so I went out and bought one and it dropped the temp a few degrees.

no glass top my reflector isnt really built for one. but yea i raised the lamps a little and it helped lower it to the high 70s. hopefully they dont strech

yea mine is the same way, just mount a fan right beneath the reflector, it will blow a bunch of heat away. check my journal for pics

masterblaster26 said:
Is it bad to have a 400 W HPS further then 24 In (2 feet) from the plant. i had it at 2 feet but temps were like 81 82 the further i move it away the more the temp drops but i dont wanna move it to far where the plants dont get the light they need

a 400 w hps is good from 22 inches to 8 inches. closer and you burn em, farther and they get no benefit from light.:hubba:

i just got my 250 hps in, i'm so used to floro's and cfl's. closest i can be is 14 inches now, but my ladies are "rising" for the occasion just fine...so i'm right there with ya for being new to the hps world.

you can go further than 22" dude, check up the light distance chart on the forum for HPS of all watts, it`ll still fire out loads of lumens at 2 ft.

Here

lightdistancechart.jpg

Latest posts

Back