A friends design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShecallshimThor

Master of funk
Reaction score
my friend is setting up his 6x2x4
he wants to set it up like this with it cut in half and grow lowryders
the more i look at it the more i think it will work good but what do you guys think?
he will be usesing different spectrum floros for a full spectrum effect
do you think he will fit his pots,plants and lights in just 3 ft?
i know they are lowryder but i still think it would be better to get a 400 hps and use the whole box for regular plants
then my next question is how many lowryders can he fit in 2x4?
he is hoping 10 is that realistic

G room.jpg

ok lowryders from germinating the seed to finish/chopping down/harvest time is i believe about 70 days total so they will not require big pots 3.5/5/6.5 litre pots would be more than enough for these plants so depending how many pots you can cram in there then thats your answer.
i would like you say go for a 400w hps and still do lowryders but not two rooms like shown just the one taller room so a 400w hps can have enough room so then the room is still 6' high so you have lots of scope for light adjustment etc.

10 would fit depending on pot size and you could just go for one big container and fill it to max with seeds.

skallie

definitely get the hps lite. You will need a ton of fluro's to flower your plants. Our room sizes are comparible and I easily grew 3 lowryders as you can see in my signature. I could have done 4 but 5 would have been pushing it. I would think about another small area to seed your plants and use the entire grow room for your plants to veg and flower. :D green mojo 4 your grow

ShecallshimThor said:
my friend is setting up his 6x2x4
he wants to set it up like this with it cut in half and grow lowryders
the more i look at it the more i think it will work good but what do you guys think?
he will be usesing different spectrum floros for a full spectrum effect
do you think he will fit his pots,plants and lights in just 3 ft?
i know they are lowryder but i still think it would be better to get a 400 hps and use the whole box for regular plants
then my next question is how many lowryders can he fit in 2x4?
he is hoping 10 is that realistic

I really don't think it is a good idea. IMO, 3' is just not enough space to work with. By the time he buys 2 fluoro set ups, he could have purchased a decent HPS for probably less money. Heat will be a real issue with 2 small adjacent spaces full of fluoros. IMO leaving the closet as it is and using a HPS for flowering will reap far more than 2 closets with fluoros. It will also cost less to put together and put out less heat.

The number of plants is immaterial. Why does he "hope to get 10 in there"? There is no advantage to shoving a lot of plants in a small space. Your light is basically going to produce the same amount of bud whether you have 4 larger plants in there or whether you have 10 smaller ones.

heat would not be an issue were talking flouros here not hps's

so onto next thing 10 plants v's 4 larger plants-the thing here is larger plants take longer vegging v's 10 x smaller auto lowryders btw they dont veg well hey start flowering asap.

so that theory is dismissed bigtime.

so unless you have done a side by side comparission 10 x small v's 4 x large you cannot make such a bold statement thg esp in the auto world.

skallie

i'm guessing the 2 chambers are for a veg and a flower chamber? i'd say just go with lowryders that are autos and use one chamber with the HPS. use 1/3 of your space, wait 3-4 weeks, plant the next third, another 3-4 weeks and plant your last third. since they're autos you won't have to mess with whatever light schedule you choose. just "set it and forget it!" this will give your friend that continual harvest he's looking for in one chamber.

canna
no they are both considered flower rooms for lowryders
both would have a light schedule of 18/6
he is thinking autos for a starggered harvest
but thanks to all you expereinced people
it sounds like he is gonna look into a 400 watt system and save some cash

If it was me....and this was all the space I had to work with....and I was going to grow lowryders here is what I would do.
Get the 400-HPS AND a some msaller fluro lights. Then build a shelf TWO feet off the ground, so that the area is cut in two parts, one 4 feet and one 2 feet. On the bottom part you start your lowryder seedlings and keep them under fluros for the first few weeks, then as they get larger rotate them up into the larger chamber. Even though they are autos they still need a lot less light whenthey are small. Divinding the shelf at this point instead of in half would allow for two sets of plants, you would just need to keep rotating them as they got bigger. To me this would take the best advatange of the space.....thoughts people?

Also I would not try for more than 8 on the firsr go 'round. That would be one per square foot. I know lowriders are of course short, but in the 4 foot area if he needed to LST a little it would be nice to have the horizontal space to work with.

I think that we are gonna make a clone room out of a hope chest or around that size
and try to keep bonsai mothers in there
also anyone have exp making seeds with floros?
ive read that it can take 50 days for seeds to develop but only 35 under hid
that is the other thing we are thinking is if we get lowryder we wanna make seeds out of them and i might try to cross a lowryder with subcools Deep Purple (Urkle x Querkle)

skallie said:
heat would not be an issue were talking flouros here not hps's

so onto next thing 10 plants v's 4 larger plants-the thing here is larger plants take longer vegging v's 10 x smaller auto lowryders btw they dont veg well hey start flowering asap.

so that theory is dismissed bigtime.

so unless you have done a side by side comparission 10 x small v's 4 x large you cannot make such a bold statement thg esp in the auto world.

skallie

Lumen for lumen fluoros put out more heat than a HPS.

I was talking about using the whole closet and not growing autos. I have not done a side by side in the auto world (I do not and never will grow autos), but I have with real marijuana strains. In my experience plants vegged an extra month will yield 3-6 times as much as a plant with little or no veg time. And just as a little side note, I have been growing longer than you have been alive and I do and can make bold statements.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
Really? In your pic you look you are in your late 20's.

:giggle::giggle:Well, that is not me. We had a thread a while ago where people posted pics of what they thought other posters looked like. When someone posted this pic, I just had to adopt it as my avi--it is almost exactly what I looked like 30 or 35 years ago :eek:. I started growing in the early 80s in a greenhouse. Things have changed a lot since then...

HAHA, ok that explains why you have so much knowledge, I was sitting here thinking that you had literally gone to weed school and learned all these things you know by age 18. It was the only reason why I could come up with that someone in their 20's would know SOOOOOOOOO much.
Personally I feel the same way about autos. I have never grown them but I read DJ Shorts notes on his attempts and rejection of autos in his breeding so I have not been interested in them.
Guess that just proves the saying that assumption is the mother of all F*** ups....wait, does this mean that NorCalHal isn't really a 500 pound naked guy sitting in front of his computer???? LOL, guess I should have realized the pic was fake.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
HAHA, ok that explains why you have so much knowledge, I was sitting here thinking that you had literally gone to weed school and learned all these things you know by age 18. It was the only reason why I could come up with that someone in their 20's would know SOOOOOOOOO much.
Personally I feel the same way about autos. I have never grown them but I read DJ Shorts notes on his attempts and rejection of autos in his breeding so I have not been interested in them.
Guess that just proves the saying that assumption is the mother of all F*** ups....wait, does this mean that NorCalHal isn't really a 500 pound naked guy sitting in front of his computer???? LOL, guess I should have realized the pic was fake.

Well, I'm not sure about NorCalHal's avi....:eek:

Although I have taken several hiatuses from growing over the years, I have grown anytime circumstances were right to grow. I started out growing in a greenhouse. I used LST to control the height and look of the plant. Back then we didn't have a name for it, however. To me, it was just bending my plant over and staking it to grow horizontally. I grew inside for the first time in 1998. And that is the way I have grown ever since. I have always maintained 2 rooms and a perpetual grow. I love being able to control the environment and not having the security issues involved with growing outside. Growing has changed so much--it is almost a science now, we have learned so much more about marijuana botany and optimum growing conditions.

I grew up in the 60s. Back then I thought we were only a short way from legalization or at the least decriminalization. Forty some odd years later, here I am, still waiting. Never would I have imagined, way back then, that we would remain in the dark ages for so many years. I may or may not live to see the day that I can legally sit on my deck and peacefully share a portion of my bounty with my neighbors. But, at least we seem to be heading in the right direction. Damn, I'm getting old....:eek::cool::D

:48::48::48::48:

The Hemp Goddess said:
Well, I'm not sure about NorCalHal's avi....:eek:

Although I have taken several hiatuses from growing over the years, I have grown anytime circumstances were right to grow. I started out growing in a greenhouse. I used LST to control the height and look of the plant. Back then we didn't have a name for it, however. To me, it was just bending my plant over and staking it to grow horizontally. I grew inside for the first time in 1998. And that is the way I have grown ever since. I have always maintained 2 rooms and a perpetual grow. I love being able to control the environment and not having the security issues involved with growing outside. Growing has changed so much--it is almost a science now, we have learned so much more about marijuana botany and optimum growing conditions.

I grew up in the 60s. Back then I thought we were only a short way from legalization or at the least decriminalization. Forty some odd years later, here I am, still waiting. Never would I have imagined, way back then, that we would remain in the dark ages for so many years. I may or may not live to see the day that I can legally sit on my deck and peacefully share a portion of my bounty with my neighbors. But, at least we seem to be heading in the right direction. Damn, I'm getting old....:eek::cool::D

:48::48::48::48:
I am right there with ya girl grew my 1st plant out back in the veggie garden when I was 14 yrs old (you may be a little older than me but I know where your coming from).in the early 80's and so much has changed since then. But I done most of my growing outdoors with a few indoor grows in between. I remember using HPS lights that came from an old factory for my 1st indoor grow, try keeping them cool:eek: But we use to grow sativia dom plants in bean feilds using what is known today as LST but we just called it tieing them down. Plant a plant at the head of a row and place Y sticks between the rows and tie the plant to the Y's as they grew, we had 1 that reached 17 feet long running between the rows. Now today everything is high TECH and everyone thinks it takes rocket science to grow..lol..When all it really takes is some common sence, a little patience, and basic science...take care..

Latest posts

Back