Advice Neeeeeeeeded.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy22

Reaction score
Hi all, first of i have a wardrobe or cuboard that is about 3 feet long and about 1-2 feet deep. Now obviosuly this isnt a massive space and heat will be an issue. Im rigging up an exhuast fan and others so hopefully that should take care of cooling. Now my problem is that I had decided on a 250 HPS to fit out the grow room with two plants. This was because i thought it would be better than a 400hps with heat and be able to accomodate two plants. Now i called the hydro store and asks the guy if they had them in stock and he said yes. However then he went on a rant about how he recons a 250 MH would be much better. He was mentioning that with a HPS there would be to much elongation or something? And he also said that the MH would vegitate and flower the plants just as well as the HPS.
What are all your opinions?
Which one would you choose?
I am only wanting one light remember.....dont want have to switch them and what not.
Cheers

First, I noticed that is your first post so :welcome: to the site. MH is better for veg, but HPS is better for flower. What I use is a HPS for flowering, and something called a metal halide conversion bulb for veg. The beauty of the MH I use is that it can be ran through a HPS ballast. I'm not sure if they are available in 250, but I know they are available in 400 and everything bigger. I know you said you only wanted one light but you wouldn't have to move the hood or anything, just unscrew one bulb and put in the other. No changing wires, or ballasts or anything, just the bulb. If you are dead set on using only one bulb, I'm not sure which I would go with. I've seen successful grows with both, but like you said they both have their drawbacks. I would probably use HPS and just not veg as long, the spectrum is much more beneficial for flowering.

If your closet is 3X2 then it is 6 sq foot. If you ever decide in the future to expand and fill the closet the 250 will leave you a little short on lumens. With a proper exhaust you should be able to cool a 400 which would give you more than enough lumens. The price difference between 250 and 400 probably isn't much, also look into an air cooled hood, it would really help with heat in a small enclosed space.

Thanks alot for the reply cadlamike, thats alot of help. And that metal halide conversion bulb sounds like the go. Cheers

A digital ballast will run both. Not all ballasts are digital though. The digital ballast is going to cost more, but like ShecallshimThor said it is able to run both MH and HPS. I don't think I've ever seen a 250 digital though.

I've yet to see a digital 250w. If anyone has a link, shoot it as 250w are my bread and butter at the moment.
One bulb - Get the HPS. You want to maximize during flower
The conversion bulb is a great idea. I just have a flourescent for veg and that works fantastic.
Welcome to MP. There is a wealth of information, in the forums and the journels. Research will your best friend.
Nothing else I can add Mike didn't cover so ditto and good sir.
Good luck and good smoke

I have discovered that the guys that work in the hydro shops are not the best source of information. If you are only going to have 1 light, I would also recommend a HPS over a MH. First of all they are more efficient--you will get more lumens per watt from a HPS than a MH. Second, a HPS should produce more.

Latest posts

Back