Another newbee question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red eyed gardener

Reaction score
Trying to move over to organics on the next grow.I have got my cuttings started in jiffy pellets and moved over to cups.They have been in the cups for about 10 days.The cups are filled with 3 month old Miracle Grow soil that i have fertilized once with a mild chicken manure tea.Im hoping the ferts in the old MG wont affect my first organic soil because i entend to reuse the soil if possible.Maybe when i dump my pots in the end i will pull out the center where the mG is gonna be and throw that part out.I need to start thinking about what kind of mix im gonna put my 5 little cuttings into.Funds are not exactly abundent right now so i thought about starting out with peat, vermiculite, and perlite and using fish emulsion for nutes untill i figure out what im gonna flower with.Heck i might go to one of the caves down the road and collect some guano.Anyway. My question is.There is alot of timber here hardwoods and lots of other types and there are all these giant old rotten logs layin around,the humus is black or brown or even white depending on the wood.What do you folks think about substituting that kind of stuff for the peat?

IME it's not a good source of nutrients for your plants. The first thing you will have to do is sterilize it by getting it hot enough to kill all the bugs

:yeahthat: I wouldn't do that. Far too easy to pick up some riders that you don't want in yer soil for indoor growing. Its different when everything is done outdoors as mother nature has her way of ballancing things. But if yer goin to do indoor growing, yer better off to not blend the 2 methods, IMO :)

Cool thanks guys. Maybee i will add some of it to my new mulch pile and cook it up for awhile.Got a couple of bags of Miracle Grow organic choice potting soil to use for a base.Gonna try there organic liquid fert.Noticed they had blood meal as there dry organic plant food.Just gonna have to learn to give them that pep with organics instead of chems when they start turning yellow.Thinkin about goin to one of the caves down the road and harvestin some guaner

Latest posts

Back