Any luck mainlining?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
Just cut 10” off the tops of two of my out of control clones to try the main line thing. Had to smoke a fatty before doing the cut as this was a drastic move for me. Haven’t even got rid of the cut off section as it is a beautiful arrangement in my kitchen for now. They had uneven nodes and unlike my seed grow are a bastard to manage. Don’t think clones are my gig at this point but time will tell I guess depending on their outcome. I need to maintain them under a plant light while waiting for their turn in the tent so out of control vegetation was not an option. Any of y’all tried this mainlining? Any luck with it using Crazy clones?
613596F9-5A3F-4F39-BD20-A7D4C5E1ABA8.jpeg

Clone the section you cut off if you have it in water
You can clone in any loosely packed material (soil with perlite, )
It will be a good learning experience too.

Why didn't you just top it? That's a deep cut.
I have 8 clones taken from two strains from my first grow now in week 6 of flower in the tent all of which are growing differently. The two plants I decided to mainline were extra stretchy and lanky under the same colored lights as the others. All the plants are healthy. I’ve been topping and fimming all the plants except for the little bonsai looking one to keep their canopy under control. If it were the right time of year, I would put the to lanky ones outside and just let them go crazy but to cold outside here for that yet. So since I had time, decided to mainline them after reading about managing uneven nodes which is driving me crazy on these clones…. I figured I would try this method on two plants and yes this was drastic I know but was required for the mainline technique. Just wondering if anyone here has tried the mainlining thing. FYI got new seeds in this week for spring grow. excited to get started with another seed grow than these clones…
picture of my kitchen bouquet…
F8A7CEEE-36F9-4939-8D38-2E0FE8B2D6ED.jpeg
F8A7CEEE-36F9-4939-8D38-2E0FE8B2D6ED.jpeg

Just cut 10” off the tops of two of my out of control clones to try the main line thing. Had to smoke a fatty before doing the cut as this was a drastic move for me. Haven’t even got rid of the cut off section as it is a beautiful arrangement in my kitchen for now. They had uneven nodes and unlike my seed grow are a bastard to manage. Don’t think clones are my gig at this point but time will tell I guess depending on their outcome. I need to maintain them under a plant light while waiting for their turn in the tent so out of control vegetation was not an option. Any of y’all tried this mainlining? Any luck with it using Crazy clones?View attachment 285391

that is not a problem…..those two main stems will soon be 4 stems and those 4 will be 8 really fast…16 , 32 , 64 and next thing you know that plant will be a huge bush

a friend , Skitty , takes humongous clones that size ….it sure cuts down on the veg time and they are ready to flip very fast

so are you going to root those clones in that vase?

Interesting. Never seen that done before.

that is not a problem…..those two main stems will soon be 4 stems and those 4 will be 8 really fast…16 , 32 , 64 and next thing you know that plant will be a huge bush

a friend , Skitty , takes humongous clones that size ….it sure cuts down on the veg time and they are ready to flip very fast

so are you going to root those clones in that vase?
I hope you are right about a big bushy plant. Had not planned to clone the two 10” tops as I only have limited grow space (2x4 tent and one corner in MBR with grow light also small clone area only 10” high not tall enough to support a 10” clone ) and am anxious to start my new dosido seeds for spring. I just put them in a little spigot water in a glass to enjoy them for a bit longer before I threw them out. Kinda like better than roses right?

He grows some nice plants

Yes he has inspired me now. If I see that this is working, I may chop down a couple more (after a nice buzz of course) and give them a go like this in the tent when it’s their turn. I’ll keep y’all posted if it works. (Or if it doesn’t too) Still if anyone has had luck with this, please respond with any tips that may help me along the way.

Fimming is another HST technique used to increase yield that is similar to topping, but not quite the same. The objective is still to increase the number of main colas. But instead of doubling down, fimming can give rise to 4+ new top colas. This technique is highly recommended for micro-growers with perhaps just 1-2 plants.

Secondary shoots are juiced with the growth hormone that previously would have been used to develop the main stem. However, most growers report that fimming is slightly less effective at reducing stretching than topping. A fimmed cannabis plant can still grow rather tall, albeit with far more top colas.

WHEN TO FIM CANNABIS

Wait until your plant has developed 3–5 nodes before you FIM it. Like with topping, performing the procedure too early will shock the plant and slow down the growth of your seedling. You should only FIM plants during the vegetative phase to allow plants to focus all of their energy on bud production during the flowering stage. If you want to train your plant during this time, try gentle techniques such as low-stress training (LST).

HOW TO FIM MARIJUANA

Fimming involves pinching or cutting off around 75% of the tip of a plant. The very word FIM stands for “f*ck I missed”, and hints at how sloppy the technique appears. It looks as though the grower messed up their topping attempt! Looks aside, it’s an extremely simple and effective technique.

Grab the tip of your plant and gently elongate the growth with one hand. Use a pair of clean scissors to snip about 75% of the top. You'll be left with a small turf of growth that will eventually give life to four colas.

Fimming

I am flushing a couple of plants right now. I will take a picture of one of them shortly and show the results of fim topping vs a main stem. No topping at all.

This gives a good yield and I can control the height of plants in my tent.

Fimming is another HST technique used to increase yield that is similar to topping, but not quite the same. The objective is still to increase the number of main colas. But instead of doubling down, fimming can give rise to 4+ new top colas. This technique is highly recommended for micro-growers with perhaps just 1-2 plants.

Secondary shoots are juiced with the growth hormone that previously would have been used to develop the main stem. However, most growers report that fimming is slightly less effective at reducing stretching than topping. A fimmed cannabis plant can still grow rather tall, albeit with far more top colas.

WHEN TO FIM CANNABIS

Wait until your plant has developed 3–5 nodes before you FIM it. Like with topping, performing the procedure too early will shock the plant and slow down the growth of your seedling. You should only FIM plants during the vegetative phase to allow plants to focus all of their energy on bud production during the flowering stage. If you want to train your plant during this time, try gentle techniques such as low-stress training (LST).

HOW TO FIM MARIJUANA

Fimming involves pinching or cutting off around 75% of the tip of a plant. The very word FIM stands for “f*ck I missed”, and hints at how sloppy the technique appears. It looks as though the grower messed up their topping attempt! Looks aside, it’s an extremely simple and effective technique.

Grab the tip of your plant and gently elongate the growth with one hand. Use a pair of clean scissors to snip about 75% of the top. You'll be left with a small turf of growth that will eventually give life to four colas.

Fimming

I am flushing a couple of plants right now. I will take a picture of one of them shortly and show the results of fim topping vs a main stem. No topping at all.

I do the same, I tried to do manifolding and could not get the right handle on it

WHEN TO FIM CANNABIS

HOW TO FIM MARIJUANA

Fimming

Yes, I both fimmed and topped the mothers of these girls with a beautiful even canopy loaded with buds now. These clones didn’t fim or top that easy although I’m still working with the others in this group to try and get the best canopy I can out of them. The uneven nodes on these clones don’t provide as many bud sites as the seeded plants did. I’m still trying tho and am also trying this mainlining manifold project to see if if I can make it happen too.

Latest posts

Back