anyone want to discuss leds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reddy Kilowatt said:
Power supply is easy. Computer power supply could work. I built an infra LED light for my security camera. I wired groups in series with a current limiting resistor then wired groups in parallel. Over drive LEDs that are densely packed and they will put off alot of heat.

Also thought about doing it with florescence bulbs. Those ring ones for kitchen lights. Maybe 3-4 mounted inside of a 5 gal bucket. Ballast mounted outside of bucket. I will call it: The Ring Of Light In A Bucket.
Now that would be a cool way to try the thery, which I think will work, you got my wheels turning now, please keep posted.

I dont mean any offense here but I spent $270 lighting the same size grow with hid and how much did you spend on lighting your grow? I do admit you have a nice looking grow under those lights but at what cost?

MindzEye said:
I dont mean any offense here but I spent $270 lighting the same size grow with hid and how much did you spend on lighting your grow? I do admit you have a nice looking grow under those lights but at what cost?
Man, thats gotta be a nice set-up, thats the problem for the average grower-cost.And thats my biggest beef with the led industry.A cool grand for 4-ufos- and thats what your gonna need for some decent yield. But if you can, if heat/space isnt an issue-hid is still the way to go.You probably, definetly, get more immediate bang for your buck with hid. And I dont even know how much I spent on bulbs! This has been a labor of love, purely, and I certainly wouldnt want to steer someone down the same path if they werent certain this tech would help them. Research and development- thats the phase we're in now, and research and development is very costly. I just hope through my stumblings, and others, we can all hash this led thing out. peace

Reddy Kilowatt said:
Power supply is easy. Computer power supply could work. I built an infra LED light for my security camera. I wired groups in series with a current limiting resistor then wired groups in parallel. Over drive LEDs that are densely packed and they will put off alot of heat.

Also thought about doing it with florescence bulbs. Those ring ones for kitchen lights. Maybe 3-4 mounted inside of a 5 gal bucket. Ballast mounted outside of bucket. I will call it: The Ring Of Light In A Bucket.
The more I think on this the cooler it sounds. A single plant unit for the casual home-grower-and no wasted light. You could become a rich, or richer, man. Like the colliseum gardens, you could have stackable units,tiers, for the size plant you choose.But going fluoro- single high power leds cost a grip- seems like the way to go until cost comes down. You should put up a tutorial on this. peace

Reddy Kilowatt said:
I have thought about placing the LEDs in a tube appropriately sized to the size of the plant.

Line inside cardboard tube with mylar.
Drill holes in tube. A symmetrical pattern evenly space
Place cap with hole pattern on top.
Add venting for air movement.
Keep the heat of the power supply out of the growing area.
LEDs inserted in to holes and wired from the outside of the tube.
Place tube over plant.
To keep LEDs close as possible start flowering immediately.

You would need one for each plant.
Could be cone shaped.
Probably cost too much.

The only thing I see about this is telling folks that cardboard and electricity mixes............somebodies bond to burn something, maybe advise non-conductive plastic sheeting wrapped and riveted possibly!>)

I wish my hps put off cool colors like an led. I thought those were shower heads at first not lights.

Woohoo! Maineharvest Hang a UFO LED in yer shower, Trippin' that image takes me back to my youth and the psychedelic era=>O

Latest posts

Back