aquaroponics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never grown aquaponics but have always been very interested in it. As soon as I get a place to start growing again I will grow aquaponics, possibly even aeroponic style, maybe just DWC though for ease of use. I have done an extreme amount of research on aquaponics, and this is what I've learned. Mostly from the OG'er Breeder Steve.

First of all when growin aqua, you must forget everything you learned while growing hydo. The PH will average around 8 or so "whatever your fish like" and your plants will do just fine. Also as you may know in hydro the cooler the res temp the better, however, in aqua your temps will be much higher for the fishies sake

Secondly in aqua you can have double the normal amount of fish in your tank because the plants are much better than regular filters. You also need plants in all stages of life using the water so that all the nutes are filtered from the water to keep your fish from dying. ie. if all your plants are in veg, there will be little phosphorous filtered out, if all your plants are in flower there will be little nitrogen filtered out. Make sense?

Feeding your fish a variety of food and having a variety of fish will ultimately lead to better variety of food for your plants. Just remember to get fish that can deal with harsh enviroments. Goldfish are the perfect example. Algea eaters and other fish can only help the water culture.

I hope this info helped, like I said, I have never grown aqua, just DWC hydro. When i get my new place in a month or so I will set up an aqua grow and do a grow diary for all the enthusiests out there. If you want to learn more, I have found a few books at the bookstore about MJ aqua. You may even be able to google Breeder Steve and find somethin. As far as I know the US gov retards pretty much shut him down along with OG though. If you have decide to do an aqua grow it would be wonderful if you did a diary and fill us all in. Good Luck

Pothead

LV_pothead said:
I have never grown aquaponics but have always been very interested in it. As soon as I get a place to start growing again I will grow aquaponics, possibly even aeroponic style, maybe just DWC though for ease of use. I have done an extreme amount of research on aquaponics, and this is what I've learned. Mostly from the OG'er Breeder Steve.

First of all when growin aqua, you must forget everything you learned while growing hydo. The PH will average around 8 or so "whatever your fish like" and your plants will do just fine. Also as you may know in hydro the cooler the res temp the better, however, in aqua your temps will be much higher for the fishies sake

Secondly in aqua you can have double the normal amount of fish in your tank because the plants are much better than regular filters. You also need plants in all stages of life using the water so that all the nutes are filtered from the water to keep your fish from dying. ie. if all your plants are in veg, there will be little phosphorous filtered out, if all your plants are in flower there will be little nitrogen filtered out. Make sense?

Feeding your fish a variety of food and having a variety of fish will ultimately lead to better variety of food for your plants. Just remember to get fish that can deal with harsh enviroments. Goldfish are the perfect example. Algea eaters and other fish can only help the water culture.

I hope this info helped, like I said, I have never grown aqua, just DWC hydro. When i get my new place in a month or so I will set up an aqua grow and do a grow diary for all the enthusiests out there. If you want to learn more, I have found a few books at the bookstore about MJ aqua. You may even be able to google Breeder Steve and find somethin. As far as I know the US gov retards pretty much shut him down along with OG though. If you have decide to do an aqua grow it would be wonderful if you did a diary and fill us all in. Good Luck

Pothead

Nice post bro, I for one would love to see it done.;)

i know im a little late on this thread, i'd like to get the general idea of what your doing. your just going to grow pot in the top of your fish tank?
how do you have different stages growing at the same time? wont the lights from the younger ones mess with the older ones when they are budding? or would you relocate them for that?

Latest posts

Back