Are these different phenos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SensiStarFan

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks in advance for everyone's help and advice!

I have these two NYC Diesles right now that are on day #39 of flower (10 week strain) so they are a little more than halfway done. These two plants were grown from seed and up until two weeks ago they appeared very similar. Both of these plants are the same distance from my HPS lights, both of them receive the same feeding from the same bucket of nutes and are in the same soil. There is literally no difference in the way I have been growing them. One of the two showed signs of being overwatered at one point but that was corrected. Now that the plants are a little more than halfway through flower I am noticing that the buds forming on them are completely different. The growth rates of the plants are the same, they are the same size, the leaves of both plants are identical in shape and size. The ONLY difference I am seeing, and it is a huge difference, is in the bud formation and growth. I was thinking that the plant with more hairs and bigger buds was simply stronger, but now I am wondering if I am looking at a genetic difference and not just one plant growing more vigirously.
Plant #1 with a long thin cola, the white hairs forming on the buds are much fewer than the other plant:
possibly different phenos 001.JPG possibly different phenos 003.JPG possibly different phenos 005.JPG

Plant #2 with more hairs, more trichs, and a much shorter heavier top that is getting close to the size of a baseball:
possibly different phenos 006.JPG possibly different phenos 007.JPG possibly different phenos 010.JPG

(EDIT: If you open and compare the two middle pictures on each row you can see what I mean. Both of these pics are showing buds growing (not the main top). You can tell that the one from plant #2 has a LOT more hairs and bud growth.

Thanks guys, I guess this is evidence you should not save beans. When I got my Hashberry I only germed 5 of them thinking that if I screwed something up I would have 5 more. Well that ended up being stupid because only one survived the seedling stage and it ended up being male. Even if it had of been female it could have been a situation like this where it was not nearly as good as another potential female I was not germinating. In other words it makes sense to germinate as many beans as possible in order to get the best possible females. Especially if the phenos in bud growth vary this much, I didn't realize there would be this much of a difference.

It's like Seth Rogans advice on meeting women in that movie "The 40 Year-Old Virgin", "You gotta get in there and plant that seed. When I was growing pot I quickly realized that the more seeds I planted the more pot I could smoke".

-SSF-

Welcome to selection. If you dont crack all your beans of a strain, you just never know what lurks in the shadows. Will always keep you wondering. I would rather pheno hunt one strain then many strains of a few seeds. GL

SensiStarFan said:
... When I got my Hashberry I only germed 5 of them thinking that if I screwed something up I would have 5 more. Well that ended up being stupid because only one survived the seedling stage and it ended up being male...

-SSF-

LOL--this is exactly the reason that i only germ half or so at a time. If only 1 of 5 seedlings survived, there was probably something not right in your grow somewhere. If you had germed all 10, you could have still had only 1 survive. Rather than be dismayed, I would be glad that I still had 5 seeds left. I would, however, try to figure out why the other 4 seedlings did not make it. Mandala has a rep for having fresh vigorous seeds with a high germination rate.

The Hemp Goddess said:
LOL--this is exactly the reason that i only germ half or so at a time. If only 1 of 5 seedlings survived, there was probably something not right in your grow somewhere. If you had germed all 10, you could have still had only 1 survive. Rather than be dismayed, I would be glad that I still had 5 seeds left. I would, however, try to figure out why the other 4 seedlings did not make it. Mandala has a rep for having fresh vigorous seeds with a high germination rate.

Thanks THG for finding the positive :) . I know what the problem was and have taken steps that hopefully prevent it happening again. When I germinated the Hashberry seeds I put them in a cup of water for 24 hours and then in a paper towel for a few days. I left the cup of water with the seeds in it somewhere where light was hitting the water and the seeds, and I think some nasty stuff started growing in the water because after the seeds came out of the towel the paper towel and the roots of the seedlings had some black fungus/mold stuff growing on them. I'm pretty sure this is why the other beans did not survive because they died shortly after germination. Since then I have made sure the cup of water sits in darkness. A couple days ago I germinated the 10 Sour Diesel seeds I got during Attitude's promo and all 10 showed a tap root. I also add a drop of H2O2 to the water the beans are soaking in as well as the water that goes into the towel and I think that helps prevent the fungus/mold from growing.
But now that I know how vastly different two females of the same strain can be I don't see how I could order a pack of ten seeds again and not germinate all ten of them at once. As NC says now I will always be wondering what lurks in the shadows.

I germinated the other 5 Hasberry seeds this week, 4 of the 5 germinated and two are already popping out of the soil.

3-19-11 001.JPG
-SSF-

I leave my seeds in the cup until they show those taproots. I make sure to leave the cup in a cupboard so no light hits them...

I've got taproots on every single seed that I've germed...

Just my $0.02

Latest posts

Back