Avid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure because the alcohol dissipates very quickly. The alcohol kills on contact while it's wet. The soap just makes it stick to them,,, but you can kill the fkers with just the alcohol and water. Straight alcohol is to strong and could damage the leaves. That's why I use a mixture of 30% alcohol to 70% water with a teaspoon of dish soap. And my alcohol is 91% alcohol.
In flower just don't mix soap with it because you don't want a soap film on your buds. The alcohol will still kill the mites and might melt some trichomes but once the alcohol dissipates the glands are still there. Kinda like making hash. The alcohol will melt the glands, but the resin is still there.
If it melts the trichomes then they will cease maturing as i imagine. i might go with this method during stretching though.

It will continue to grow and bloom,, besides, if it's in flower and you don't stop the mites in history anyway. Vegg is when it works the best. Ive only had to use it one time in flower on one limb to kill mites. The plant turned out great.

I found this on wikipedia about abamectin AKA Avid "Avermectins bind to the glutamate-gated chloride channels that are found in invertebrate nerve and muscle cells.[5] They cause hyperpolarization of these cells resulting in paralysis and death.[5] Mammals only possess glutamate-gated chloride channels in the brain and spinal cord and as the Avermectins have a low affinity for other mammalian ligand-gated channels and do not usually cross the blood–brain barrier, they are very safe for mammals.[6]". I also learned that they use xylene as a solvent for it. *** xylene is a strong solvent highly flammable is like benzene in some ways. We use it to thin polyurethane for waterproofing things. Breathing enough from its vapors could kill you. I wonder whether the solvent is more toxic than the actual toxin...

yessir, the cure is deadly, that's why so many precautions need to be taken...vitamin B-12 is a poison is taken improperly...small amount applied properly in early stages will keep you safe but you need to use common sense...the object of this exercise is to kill the pathogen without killing you...used as we discussed earlier in this thread you will not have issues...

I found an interesting aracnicide that is placed on level 4 toxicity on WHO classification list and labeled 25A insecticide on another type of listing. Anyway class 4 is almost non toxic while abamectin is class 2 which is much more toxic. I might want to add it to my arsenal. Any thoughts? Danisaraba® | BASF Crop Solutions Australia

Late to the party... Buttt...Whatttt???

Nope. No Avid, Forbid, Eagle 20, none of that stuff for me... Yeah...It kills mites, but can also fook you up really bad if you aren't using PPE...Those pesticides are toxic if absorbed through the skin or inhaled.

I don't know where your info came from...but Avid and Forbid ARE systemic... If I remember correctly Avid isn't as bad as Forbid...hangs around 30ish days in the plant... Forbid is 90.

Screenshot of the PPE guidelines for Avid...
IMG_20230831_084854.jpg
IMG_20230831_084830.jpg

Just my two pennies... But if you're in Veg Sulfur is a much less toxic and deadly solution. Kills PM on contact and soft bodied pests in under a week.

Don't use outdoors. Kills pollinators.

G'luck. 👊

Last edited:
I will stick with alcohol. It kills on contact and evaporates. If it melts a few trichomes, they will melt right into the bud and then the alcohol will dissipate. Ive done it before and the plant turned out just fine.

Late to the party... Buttt...Whatttt???

Nope. No Avid, Forbid, Eagle 20, none of that stuff for me... Yeah...It kills mites, but can also fook you up really bad if you aren't using PPE...Those pesticides are toxic if absorbed through the skin or inhaled.

I don't know where your info came from...but Avid and Forbid ARE systemic... If I remember correctly Avid isn't as bad as Forbid...hangs around 30ish days in the plant... Forbid is 90.

Screenshot of the PPE guidelines for Avid...
View attachment 339277View attachment 339278
Yes i know i was not as protected as i should have been it was basically a labcoat with 2 fauci masks and head cover.

Just my two pennies... But if you're in Veg Sulfur is a much less toxic and deadly solution. Kills PM on contact and soft bodied pests in under a week.

Don't use outdoors. Kills pollinators.

G'luck. 👊
Sulfur might be an option to try next time i see an infestation. Do you recommend liquid or dry sulfur? Burning sulfur is not an option in my case

I will stick with alcohol. It kills on contact and evaporates. If it melts a few trichomes, they will melt right into the bud and then the alcohol will dissipate. Ive done it before and the plant turned out just fine.
I tried it once and it seemed to not kill the mites. I might have used a lower dose than i should have i do not recall how much i used i know i had 95% ethanol. At what dose can i go before it hurts the plant? I would not mind using full 95% dose if i could.

Micronized Sulfur is my recommendation if you can find it. Hi Yield brand from the hardware store works, but will clog your sprayer as the particulates are larger... I don't burn it. Sulfur is corrosive, and toxic if inhaled.

I use micronized sulfur once a month in veg with an electrostatic sprayer.

I have the one that is bright yellow but can get the other one i think was brownish. Will sulfur kill mites effectively?

By the way i canceled ordering the cyflumetofen even though it looks interesting. Class 4 who is almost non toxic but i thought i dont even have mites now.

I have the one that is bright yellow but can get the other one i think was brownish. Will sulfur kill mites effectively?
The bright yellow can be sprinkled on your plants/soil with zero issues. Yes it 100% will kill mites...and Powdery Mildew (bonus even if you don't see it in your grow).

Fire and Brimstone baby. Gets em gone within a week.

Reactions: zem
If you use Sulfur just turn down the lights. And turn the fans off....back on when things are dry... Also don't use within a month of using ANY oil pesticides. Will burn the plants badly...Almost forgot, sorry.

Reactions: zem
I tried it once and it seemed to not kill the mites. I might have used a lower dose than i should have i do not recall how much i used i know i had 95% ethanol. At what dose can i go before it hurts the plant? I would not mind using full 95% dose if i could.
I use 91% alcohol at a ratio of 70% water and 30% alcohol. It killed them on contact and the plant was fine.

Latest posts

Back