BlueSmoke - First-time Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSmoke

Michigan Caregiver
Reaction score
Hey there. Wife and I got tired of trying to find quality bud in our area, so we decided to grow some of our own. We have been reading the various forums, mags, and books, and have had some decent results, and learned some lessons.

All grow phases have been done using CFLs, indoors, with soil and nute mix.

7/15/2008

To start, the seeds were started on paper towel, and then planted after 4 days. The soil mix is 2 parts Moisture Max Sta_green potting soil, and 1 part Miracle Gro Perlite. Before the flames start....I have realized that this is a bad mix to use, since it has fert in the soil, and holds too much water.

They grew fairly well, but it was clear that we have been fighting water and nutes for a while. Also we were losing most of our light, due to not having a very good grow area or reflective liner.

Here are some early pics. Keep in mind that these were bagseeds from some decent smoke from the midwest. We will be getting some better seeds for round 2, but these were available, and free.

IMG_5479.JPG

After learning some things from these forums, we decided to build a Grow Drobe. Left side will be used for cloning and mothers. Right side will be for flowering. As of right now, we have plants in veg on both sides.

Lights- 2 150w CFL and 1 300w CFL. May add a few more if needed.

Ventilation
- 95cfm Fan pulling through a carbon filter, and venting into the room. Pulls air in from a 6"x14" vent on each side of the cabinet. I have 2 9" oscillating fans coming for circulating air inside.

Nutes- We have been using some Technaflora Nutes, and have been diluting below package recommendations, since the soil already has time release nutes. Been fighting to keep the balance.

IMG_5512.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_5517.JPG

So....we have 11 plants growing in the Drobe, and they seem to be doing fairly well, given that they had a rough childhood. It is looking like we may have a higher than normal percent of males, but I guess that is to be expected. We may be 50% female. Still a little early to tell....or I just don't know what I am looking for....

Also....one of the pics show some yellowing on the lower leaves, and I think that was from some lockout from to much water, and nutes.

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

Conditions seem to be holding pretty steady right now. Temps range from 71.5 at night with lights off (12a - 6a) and up to 78 during the day with lights on. Inside is only 3 deg higher that outside, so airflow seems to be pulling the heat out. Also, with the carbon filter, there is no smell. Humidity is sitting at 50%, so I think that we are good there as well. If anything, we have been trying to get the humitiy up to 60% for the remainder of the veg.

So...time for the questions:

1. How much longer should we wait to switch to flower (12/12)?

2. How does the health of the plants look? Since this is first time, I may be over-thinking this.

3. Since we likely will have only a few females, we are thinking of cloning from a select female or two....or, should we wait until we get some quality seeds?

4. Recommendations on strains and where to obtain? Looking for a heady high that will not keep us glued to the sofa all day. Just not sure about ordering seeds online, and not close enough to Cali to walk into a store.

Gave the plants a good 1/2 gallon flush each. It seems to have perked them up a bit. Let them sit a day and then gave each a feed with 1/3 nute 2/3 water. They seem to be doing well.

Can almost tell sex on all of them, so it may be time to put some into flower, and see if we are right. I am almost thinking of putting the suspected Males into flower, and see. Still not sure if the females will go to flower, or if they will be mothers...... may just let them go to flower, and try the cloning the next time around, with some better seeds and genetics.

they look pretty good, all considered bluesmoke. :)
I say up the pot size, and flower those babies! Once sex is definately determined, take some lower branches for cuttings. No sense in waisting the oppurtunity to learn THAT aspect too. then when you do recieve your high end genetics, you'll be a step ahead.. ;)

thats a nice setup my friend...and as HICK as said...start learning how to clone..it is an art that I have yet to master..but do have success..that way you will be garanteed Females...and get to flowering..they may double in size when in flower and it dont look like you have much room left...may also want to indtruce some "LST" to help them stay away from light..no point burning your budds before they are ready..just my thaughts

and 50% Female is a great ratio my friend...but remember with bag seed to keep an eye out for that Hermie..hope you dont get any..

take care and be safe

Thanks Guys! I have some room left to grow. The lights are at the midpoint of the drobe now, and have a couple of feet to work with, and the tallest appear to be males anyways. I think I will upsize the pots this week, and get them flowering on Friday.

Thanks for all of the assistance, and I will keep you posted on their progress.

I think that they look more Indica then Sativa...what do you think? I am pretty sure that all of the bagseed was from an outdoor grow.

Thing seem to be progressing pretty well. I have added some small intake fans, and the plants seem to be liking it. Repotted the plants that we thought were the females....and so far so good. We have pulled 3 males so far, and I think we have a few more to go. The repotting was done with Organic Peat, Perlite and some potting mix. No extended release nutes, and the plants have been easier to keep happy.

Also thought that I would put up a nice picture of an early male we pulled.

BlueSmoke 1.jpg

BlueSmoke 2.jpg

BlueSmoke 3.jpg

BlueSmoke 4.jpg

BlueSmoke 5.jpg

Nice setup and plants Bluesmoke, Welcom to marijuanapassion.com

looking great Blue....how about colleting pollen from your best male..Trillion of atoms has a sticky on how ..and you could keep male alive in the garage..lol..or dog house...lol..have you started cloning the true females yet?..you and your wife are well on your way to stocking up your own supply...keep up the good work..

One of the males is gone....but the two others that have been removed from the grow area are just sitting in a room....and still growing like crazy, even without grow lights. Have not started cloning of the Females yet. Ran into some space issues, so we have them all in flowering.

Can you take cuttings after the plant has been in flower for a week?

Nice setup. Everything is looking nice. I would go with what hick said. Try and get them things flowering. Once you know that youve got some females. Take some clones outa there and get em growin! and then next time you wont have to weed out any plants. Good luck with the growin. and welcome to MP

Thanks Best.

They have been flowering for a week now. I am thinking that by this time next week, I will have all of the males pulled, and will take a few cuttings to start the cloning process. Not looking for a ton of production, but some quality stuff that keeps the wife and I happy, and that we don't have to buy, and wonder about the quality. The stuff we can find here in the midwest is not of the best quality....outdoor grow, with far to many seeds.

Well the 5 remaining girls seem to be doing well. I think that I have 2 different stains at work here....one is more sativa than the other. Since this is bag seed, who knows.

They are outgrowing the height in the drobe, but that is my fault for letting them veg to long. Lesson learned.

BlueSmoke 1.JPG

BlueSmoke 2.JPG

BlueSmoke 3.JPG

BlueSmoke 4.JPG

This is hilarious. I was reading the 1st post and you were talking about using CFLs and a bad soil mixture. Then the next post is of your great grow room! Everything looks good and congrats on your first grow and welcome to our little corner of the web!

Well...we learned a few things, mostly due to reading tons of threads here. This is still a CFL grow....but I am thinking that the next one is not. We are at just about 10,000 lumen per side, and I am wishing that I had both more light and more space. Leaving them in veg for as long as we did has left us with some pretty good size plants for a closet grow. Next grow will be a few choice seeds for a good mother, and then clones in hydro.

Thanks again for stopping by.

It has been a couple of weeks since the last update, so it is time for an entry. We are now just over 4 weeks into flower, and things are looking good.

Keep in mind that this is an all CFL grow. I am pretty happy with the buds so far, and am thinking that next time will be even better with a 400w HPS for flowering.

I took 2 clones off of the best looking plant, and was cautious, since the clones were taken after the plants were flowering for 2 weeks. The clones have both rooted, and look like they will make it. These will be the mothers for the next group, that will be clones to flower. This is still just old bagseed...but it is doing well.

The plants have been sucking up nutrients like crazy. 5 plants drinking up 3 gallons of nute mix every 3 days. I am thinking that we will let them continue as is for about 2-3 more weeks, and then flush for 5-7 days before harvest. Really having to fight the urge to try some.

Question for the group---- the top of one of the plants is up into the lights, and is getting burned a bit. Don't have room to bend it or anything.... Would it harm the plant to harvest to top a little early?

BlueSmoke 9.JPG

BlueSmoke 10.JPG

BlueSmoke 11.JPG

BlueSmoke 12.JPG

Nice looking ladies, BlueSmoke...(go ahead and try some...we ALL do it :D)

Latest posts

Back