Bubblegum grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrEkkED

Reaction score
Today I picked up 5 feminized bubblegum seeds from Rare Earth Seeds and just tossed them in the water. This will be my first real inside grow, although I have 2 bagseed that I just switched to flower after a month of veg but they are going in the garbage!

I have lots of questions as to what the best way to go about doing this is. I have a 20" x 36" x 60" tent and a 600w mh/hps but I think I'll get fluros for veg. What size pots should I use? I would obviously like to get as much yield as possible out of the grow. I can fit 5 12" pots but two would be up against the sides of the tent. Could all 5 go in the same big rectangle pot the same size at the floor?

WrEkkED said:
I can fit 5 12" pots but two would be up against the sides of the tent. Could all 5 go in the same big rectangle pot the same size at the floor?

It depends on how long you veg, I would do 3 in that size space.

If all your plants are female you could use the same pot but if you have to kill any males it could be a problem when the roots die or get woven together.

I just grew an ok bublegum she's in the greenhouse forum :)

All the best.

I'll veg till 8-10". They are feminized seeds so I shouldn't have any problems with males. I was just curious if I had a 2 x 3 rectangle planter if all 5 would fit that way.

I would grow all of those plants and take a clone from each one. keep the clones to the side under veg lights and keep them labeled example bubblegum1 2 3 4 5 etc.so you know which clone came from which mom. then flower until the five plants finish. (also keep them in seperate pots, in case anything happens and they need to be removed, the roots will get tangled together making seperation impossible). Now once dried cured and smoked you can now choose a special mother plant in which all future clones will be taken from. This way youll know what your getting everytime. Think of it like cloning yourself. Keep that clone with the corresponding number that matches the one you liked most. This is now your Mother plant and every clone you take and flower from here on out will be exactly like the mom. you need to wait til those seeds get sexually mature before theyll flower, which usually take a good four to five weeks depending on the strain.look at the pre sexing thread to see how to determine male or female. even though they are femenized they can still produce males. Once the mother plant is mature all clones taken will have the same age and maturity as the mother plant, from here youre ready to grow some killer smoke. If you dont know how to clone i suggest reading the threads on cloning as well. its the fastest way to finised product. eliminates 4-5 weeks waiting for maturing, also a week for seed propagation. in the long run youll produce more smoke per year. hope you understand this. feel free to ask anymore questions.

i would start them in 16 oz solo cups with hole drilled for drainage then put them in 3 gallon smart pots. I like smart pots for various reasons. look em up and youll see why. they are re-useable too. dont do one big container. the pots should match the size of the root ball. smaller root ball small pot bigger root ball bigger pot, the reason is to not waste water and nutes.

I may clone them to put outside in the summer. I won't run this during the summer as I don't need the ac running like crazy.

I left the seeds in water for 24 hrs and they all sank but none were sprouting, which I found odd. I usually have a little taproot by 24 hrs. Anyways they are now in little Jiffys and are in a Jiffy Dome.

I am using Agro Mix which is a soiless blend that is exactly identical to Pro Mix. Supposed to use regular tap water and not ph balance as the medium has already taken care of this. Hope it goes better than my current grow which now only has one kush under 12/12 hps for 4 days now while my second one is male and so I just pulled him. Too bad I didn't want any seeds because he's a very nice looking plant.

All 5 have popped their little heads and are just chilling under a cfl. Will get a fluro tomorrow for them unless I can keep them under my 600w mh?

I was trying to figure out what to do with the one plant in flower but
I don't think I'll have to worry about it as I didn't turn the fan on today. It's pretty wilted looking and has a few minor burn marks. I sprayed it to cool it off and watered it to cool the roots but I'm sure by tomorrow morning it will be toast. It was well over 100 degrees in there. Was so hot my digital wireless thermometer wasn't even giving a reading and after 5 min of running the fan through the cool tube it read 95 haha my bad.

Should I replace my hps bulb? It's still running but I'm sure that heat must have done some damage. **** was glowing.

Is one 39w 3' T5 high output enough before switching to mh in 2 weeks time or should I buy 2 and not use the mh at all? I'm getting them from a local hydroponics store that sells the single tube fixture with sunblaster t5 tube and cord for 30 bucks which I think is a very good deal seeing as it's the same cost from home depot, without cord, and almost impossible to find a 3' T5 6500k lamp

Those will be perfect as you dont want to start out with too much light, I have vegged with MH but i tend to get a lil stretch out of it for some reason, nothing like short compact plants! Also depends on the strain for me. sometimes pure indicas under T5's get too short and too compact and cant get a good stem for cloning so I put those strains under MH to get some stretch, so use your judgement. MH is good if thats all you have, but it helps if you have a dimmable ballast and turn it down to 50% for first week or two let it adjust then 75% for one week then 100% for rest of the veg. if its not dimmable youll have to raise it up and that will induce stretching, so it all personal prefference and what you have to work with!

Your HPS bulb should be fine as long as no damage like cracks or melted spots on the inner tube! Theyre made to get hot!

HighBrixMMJ said:
I would grow all of those plants and take a clone from each one. keep the clones to the side under veg lights and keep them labeled example bubblegum1 2 3 4 5 etc.so you know which clone came from which mom. then flower until the five plants finish. (also keep them in seperate pots, in case anything happens and they need to be removed, the roots will get tangled together making seperation impossible). Now once dried cured and smoked you can now choose a special mother plant in which all future clones will be taken from. This way youll know what your getting everytime. Think of it like cloning yourself. Keep that clone with the corresponding number that matches the one you liked most. This is now your Mother plant and every clone you take and flower from here on out will be exactly like the mom. you need to wait til those seeds get sexually mature before theyll flower, which usually take a good four to five weeks depending on the strain.look at the pre sexing thread to see how to determine male or female. even though they are femenized they can still produce males. Once the mother plant is mature all clones taken will have the same age and maturity as the mother plant, from here youre ready to grow some killer smoke. If you dont know how to clone i suggest reading the threads on cloning as well. its the fastest way to finised product. eliminates 4-5 weeks waiting for maturing, also a week for seed propagation. in the long run youll produce more smoke per year. hope you understand this. feel free to ask anymore questions.
:holysheep:
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

My kush plant ended up perfectly fine. I can't believe it. The girl is thriving again haha.

Anyways I got the Sunblaster 39w 3' fluro light today and the full line of Earth Juice nutes at the hydroponics store which were on sale. This light is awesome. 30$ full spectrum lamp and fixture with cord, mounting hardware and has a plug and wire attachment to add others to it. Can have 9 in total on one circuit. I'll probably buy another one for later unless I can use mh by then.

I wish I had a dimmable ballast. One of those things I wish I had looked into a little more, but really the price I paid was amazing and to recieve both lamps with it was a great deal. Originally I only wanted the hps as my other grow had great results just using the 2 lamp 32w T8's with no reflection. No white paint, timfoil, mylar etc.

cool. earth juice is an organic nute line so there are a few tricks to getting it to activate into some really good microbial life. one is, if you use tap water, try and use a 5 gallon tote and a cheap $15 air bubbler you can get from any pet store for aquariums, and an air stone and bubble your water for 24 hours before ading any nutes as this will dissipate any chlorine that may be in the water! chlorine will kill the microbes, then bubble your nute solutions til a nice pillow of foam forms on the top usually 24-48 hours of bubbling, make sure the solution is at about 75 degrees or foam may not build, if you need to use a submersible aquarium heater to help maintain temp, also to make sure that your soil has a good microbial herd i recommend adding some mycorrhizae, you should be able to get that at a nursery. That pillow of foam indicates that the microbes have been well oxygenated and are active and happy happy happy. I personally like to add some solid compost to the solution to help feed the bacteria and fungi....good stuff! your plants will love it. the other option is to use Reverse Osmosis water,you wont have to worry about chlorine is all! so you wont have to bubble the water to remove the chlorine. the only drawback to this method is it has no calcium or magnesium in the water as its totally stripped down! So youll have to get some EJ elements cal mag, and add it to your nute mix, make sure you always use organic nutes and amendments as any acids or chemicals will kill microbes and your microbial herd will suffer. try to stick with EJ they have all the gooies you need! Now this is the last one and probably the most expensive but definately important. Add Hygrozyme into it as well, its a beneficial enzyme that helps turn dead fungus and bacteria, and built up salts in the soil back into useable nutrients for the plant. its really a must have in my opinion! It will make you use less nute and help stretch your dollars there. think of it like a vaccuum cleaner for the soil! Im not insulting your intellegence just trying to help you harvest some dank shizzle! If I can help any other way just let me know!

I appreciate all the advice for sure! I'm pretty new to indoor growing. I will def get the Hygrozyme. I don't really want to get a bubbler as my wife is getting pissed as it is that I keep coming home with this "crap". I have a britta filter I was using before but then I was told not to use that to use tap water with soiless. So I've been letting it sit out 24 hours but havn't been bubbling. Is there another way to remove the chlorine that will leave the nutrients in it?

yes letting it sit out wiill be effective enough to dissipate the chlorine naturally, its like another thirty dollars to make a bubbler system. ten for a 5 gal. tote 15 for an air pump and 5 bucks for a air stone. and itll make all the difference in the world, i promise. id sneak it if you have to its pretty vital! itll increase yield and make you some money back, way more than you put into it!
just sayin! i know it all adds up tho!

Ok sold. Trip to the hydro store is in order. How often should I water these seedlings? They are in jiffys and seem to dry out quickly.

Here is what I do to keep my rooters from drying out too quick and it keeps them from getting too wet as well :) The hydroton is about 2"deep and I fill that with water until it is very close to the rooters but not touching. Then I water the rooter cubes and then they will wick the water up through the hydroton. It keeps me from having to water them as often, but I still check them every day and add water if it gets low :)

White rhino3-07.JPG

I usually start off in 6" pots and I find them easy enough to keep hydrated and tell when they need it. It was suggested to me to keep them in jiffy cubes and in a dome. Well the temps in the dome and the humidity just seemed like a bad idea to me so once they sprouted I've just had them open and really close to my light. Now it seems like they dry out every day, although my leaves are still pointed up to the light. Should I water them every time they get dry or let them go a day or two? I could saturate the very bottoms in water if that will help?

I'll give that hydroton setup you have a try on my next batch as that seems like a good idea to me.

One is going to die as it looks totally pinched up top. I'm not sure how that happened. The very first leaves that come out of the shell on two of them are partially black. I assume this is because the shell popped off them a little early, with accidental force oops, but their first set of real leaves, and even whats still alive of the originals is growing, and at the same rate as the two normal ones.

I'd take some pics but my computer is in the shop. This one is really old.

Don't let them dry out too much as the roots will dry and that will kill them fast. That is why I like these rooter cubes, they seem to hold just the right amount of water so that they stay moist but not saturated which can cause damping off. I personally don't like the jiffy cubes as they tend to hold too much water. I don't use the dome either. I started out using one but quickly found it to be too much heat and moisture. I keep them in a contained area so that I can control the air temp and humidity and they do fine that way. :)

You may not lose any as they can fool you sometimes. The ones in my pic actually got flipped over on accident and dumped tham out and bent them over. I thought for sure I was going to lose every one of them but they popped right back up and kept on going.

Just don't feed them until you see those little round "seed leaves" start yellowing off or you will burn the new roots. I usually wait till they are at the end of the second week and starting to take off good before I begin to feed even a little. :)

Latest posts

Back