building a box for 400w grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir-tokes-alot

Reaction score
would 3x3 be better than 2x4,...got plenty of 2x4s an left over paneling to use,..what height would be optimum,for veg an flowering,....got plenty of room an seclusion just wanna max out 400w switchable mh/sv light,...with thoughts of this being for veg/clone room when or if i ever up grade to a bigger light,..been sitting on light,hood,ducting,fan for to long an wanna get it going but wanna do it right thinking sog or scrog would be best but new to it other than a few ive grew out side with limited success,..will be using bag seed till i get room dialed in an get my feet wet...ive read alot but gonna need lotta advice an help along the way...

I would go with 3'x3' and 5' high. Using the box for veg and bloom I would mount the light in the ceiling and make a removable shelf that has three of four positions. Best of luck with your project.:)

Since your using bag seed i assume you'll have to weed out the males. I'd consider sprouting a dozen or so seeds and flowering early on your first grow, then clone the girls and go to a ScroG next time.

I have 2 thoughts on this, so will tell you what I see as the pros and cons of each.

If you are thinking of this being only a veg/clone room at some point, I think that I would go with a 2 x 4 room. The reason for this is the ability to put a 4' t5 in the space. These are, IMO, the best lights for vegging and they do not come in a 3' version. On the other hand, a space that is 3 x 3 is going to have a more even light spread throughout the space and another sq ft. While another foot might not seem like a lot, it is about 12% more space. A 5' height will probably do you just fine. I have a 32" x 32" tent that is 5' tall that I used last winter and I didn't run out of height.

If you are going to go with SCROG you will probably find it easier to raise and lower the light rather than raise and lower the plants. However if you go with a SOG you may want to have the light stationary (it makes ventilation easier) and raise and lower the plants as needed to create an even canopy. I use buckets, boxes, etc.

Flat white paint on the interior is easy to maintain and is almost as reflective as panda film. What about ventilation? What kind of fan do you have for your new space?

I also would recommend getting some inexpensive seeds rather than use bagseed. One hermy will ruin your entire crop. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you should not have a good grow your first inside one if things are set up right initially.

thanks for the replys,...lots of good points to ponder!! the fan i have i bought with hood an ballast an ducting,..its not a in line,..made to hook up to ducting then to hood,to more ducting to filter,..its a high quality fan...as is the rest,sunpro i believe,probably paid to much for it from what i seen from on-line places ive seen on here...

decided on going 2x4x5 as 3 foot wide will not fit threw some of the door ways in my house and the ability to put 4ft t5's in it an some point is a undeniable option!! along with the lights i already got the reflective film to cover the walls and been scouting the rest of need stuff,...wanting a small osculating fan to run fresh air ducting too,..ill get there!! fixing to get hammer an saws going,..be back in few days with some pics,..thanks for shearing the wisdom!!

If you are looking at moving it after you have made it up, I think you may also find that 2 x 4 x 5 is hard to get down a hall and around corners.

You will need 2 fans--an oscillating fan AND an exhaust fan to bring fresh air in. An oscillating fan is to move the air in the space around and doesn't have ducting run to it. An exhaust fan is the one you run ducting to. If you are running a 400W, you are going to need a centrifuge type fan to keep things cool. Do not get a duct booster fan--it will not do the job, regardless of what the seller says. If you have a T5 in there, you can probably keep it cool with a good quality bathroom type exhaust fan.

Keep us updated on your progress. What are you making the box out of?

What type of reflective film do you have? Reflective films must be run with virtually NO winkles to get that great reflective percentage they tell you it has. If you have mylar, I think you should reconsider even using it--it is hard to hang straight with no wrinkles, it is not reusable, and it is almost impossible to clean.

pine 2x4 lumber an paneling,..not sure what type film,..its white,..got it at grow shop,..need to pull it all outta storage an get some pics up!

The film that is white on one side and black on the other is called Panda film. It is a lot easier to hang than mylar and it cleans fairly well.

i was wrong bout film,..its silverish dull looking with a plasticy feel to it,..how big of a fan would i need for ventilation?? would computer fans work or do i need bigger??

Sounds like some kind of mylar. Not my favorite product.

I doubt that computer fans will do the job. You need nt just bigger, but better, something that will take some resistance. If you put a 400w in there, you need some kind of centrifuge type fan. Something like this would work:
hXXp://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF4-Inline-Duct-Fan/dp/B005KMOJPK/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1378331231&sr=8-20&keywords=4%22+fan

Do NOT get one like this:
hXXp://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF4-Inline-Duct-Fan/dp/B005KMOJPK/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1378331231&sr=8-20&keywords=4%22+fan

A T5 is easier to cool, but I still doubt that computer fans will do the job.

got a few pics for y'all,...hood is 23x20 gro pro sun systems hXXps://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-13055-yield-master-4-reflector.aspx ,ballast is 400w mh/sv switchable gro pro sun systems,blower fan is a activeair fn95sys an exchanges 200cu ft in 2 minutes( hXXp://www.hydrotampa.com/ProductDetail.asp?ItemNumber=6715 ),...hydrofarm 4 inch x 25ft ducting,...film is hydrofarm super reflective metallized 1ml film,..eiko 400w metal halide bulb,..hortilux super hps bulb,..grasslin T35/16 timer,...all bought brand new 5 years ago an never used,..and complete line of foxfire feeding system,...gonna need piece of glass for hood,vent fan,an osculating fan,..some green paint for my thumb an lotta luck!!

joegrow22.JPG

joegrow33.JPG

joegrow44.JPG

Well, it looks like you have most of what you need.

That squirrel cage fan should work for exhaust. I am not sure exactly how you are going to mount it or if you might need some kind of flange to connect ducting to, but it should move enough air. You may want to pick up a fan speed controller and some insulated ducting.

Be sure and get tempered glass when you order a piece of glass for your hood.

The green thumb comes with experience.

sir-tokes-alot said:
dose glass have to be tempered glass??

Absolutely tempered glass. Not just for the heat resistance, but for the added strength and the fact that it keeps you safer if it should break. I know that I have banged my head into the glass more than once when I am in the room and the light is hung low.

I have built more boxes and rooms than i wish to mention, finally i woke up and bought a tent, if your gonna want to move it down the road a tent is the way to go. jmo

correction, t5's do come in a three foot version of plug n play...a quick search will show you many styles to choose from...just an fyi...

I saw these at my local hydro shop last year, and they are not by special order.

I agree with going with the 2x4 as you will be more light efficient per watts than a 3x3...peace...

why does no one talk in fractions anymore? I size my 400w rooms 3x2.5 but thats just me...

Latest posts

Back