carbonated water... its not what you think.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muad'dib

Reaction score
Just been to my experiment. Its a DWC system.
Easy one, 3 gallon buckets.
One has holes drilled in bottom. This is where the expanded clay and plant goes. It fits into another bucket.
Second bucket, has a hole drilled in the side at the bottom for a fitting.
Third bucket set up as number 2, but this one has a ballcock valve and the outdoor hose connected.
Two and three are connected with black 1/2"pipe.

I am flowering this plant, so i added normal bloom nutes (advanced nutrients) and some earth juice ph adjuster. This has been running nice for the last few weeks.
Last week I put some cane syrup in the water to 'fatten the buds'

This morning i went to check, and i have foam all around the water surface. It looks like one of my brewing attempts!
The water was semi carbonated and it was obviously fermenting.:holysheep:

Now... is this bad for the plant? Recommendations and thoughts pls.

Wow... never heard of that before. I have never heard of using cane syrup to fatten up buds. That is an interesting question... I wonder if anyone knows.

~Metalchick

normally the foaming is from microbial activity.. I wouldn't of put cane syrup in there.. Black strap molasses is diff.

If your nutrients are organic... the foaming is normal.

Yeah Co2 is bad for the roots, and no sugar or molassess in hydro, your gonna kill your airstones and or/water pump. They make stuff to add sugar to hydro like Sweet, and Flora Nectar.

ACK!!!! :eek:
Never never never never 'water' with co2 water, the carbon molecules replace the water mollys and can actually sufficate the plants roots! Only use carb water for folier sprays and of course make sure it's the kind with NO sodium in it. The foaming is the naturall fermintation of the sugars in the syrup, not a danger unlss it crystalizes and cloggs yer flow. But it would be a better plan to go with molasses in this particular applicatio, the sugar mollys are different. Just my own 2 cents worth there.
Grow on and be safe.:)

I agree with snuggles. I wouldn't use it on hydro. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Latest posts

Back