CFL VS HPS for Flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazz

D Great Conversationalist
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm about to start my "project" but first I need your expert opinions....
Here's the deal, I know that I'll use cfl's for vegging but I'm unsure of the type of lighting for the bud phase. My Questions are:

1. Has anyone sucessfully used cfl for the flowering phase?
2. How many cfl's would I need for a flowering area measuring 35" wide, 25" deep and 4' tall?
3. Will cfl's give me a decent yield? I want to grow 5 plants at once using 3gal grow bags.

I got a sturdy amoire at a huge discount ($75) but it's too nice to cut holes into. I'm thinking of replacing the back board with a thin pice of plywool and make my exhaust cuts in that. Then I can reasemble it for useage as an entertainment center if I choose. I thank everyone in advance for their input as it is greatly needed. I have no problem using hps but I'd prefer cfl's.

100_0054.JPG

100_0055.JPG

100_0058.JPG

100_0060.JPG

What ever set-up you use, given your measurements, you sill need about 30,000 lumens of light, you need about 5000 lux, which equals 5000 lumens per square feet. When you saw mine, My overhead fixture puts out about 10000 lumens, and if you add in my CFL's...I total about 22,500 lumens...and for my square footage, that is about 9000 lux. Although it's title is Fluoro Tubes, there is every kind of information about any kind/brand/size fluoro light in the world http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19502

Peace, Love and Tie Dye,
Cam

i've used ALL kinds of floro tubes, and just starting with the t5's...and wow. with the space you got there, using minimum ventilation, i'd personally go with the 24'' 4 bulb t5 set up, you'd be amazed...one of my babygirls got put under 48'' t5's, and is exploding within a week...i've never seen those kind of results. just my opinionionionion...

Reactions: Cam
octobong007 said:
my babygirls got put under 48'' t5's, and is exploding within a week...i've never seen those kind of results. just my opinionionionion...

THAT'S WHAT MY FLUORO TUBE SET UP IS...48" T5'S..OMG ARE MY GIRLS HAPPY !!!!

I got a sturdy amoire at a huge discount ($75) but it's too nice to cut holes into. I'm thinking of replacing the back board with a thin pice of plywool and make my exhaust cuts in that.
I got the same amoir and I just set it up.It might not be set up the way you are looking for,but hope it will give you some idea.Keep it GREEN:hubba: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19522

Thanks for everyone's help. I was actually thinking of using a few of the cfl grow bulbs that are about 105w each @ 2700k for the bud phase. If you look at my amoire, it has enough space at the bottom to set up the veg area under the bud area. I'll post pics of my progress with the transformation of this cabinet. I won't start growing until next month after I take a trip cus they'll die if I leave them alone for 10 days. One issue I forgot to mention is the area I'm using is actually in my garage(attached) and it'll get cold in there this winter. I plan on using thick plastic to keep the cold out around the garage door. If I ust he HPS it'll help with keeping my babies warm. Incidentally, What strain should I grow? It has to be something that is short and stout like Cherry Thai but I can't find the seeds anywhere. They're bred by reeferman. Any other suggestions?

in tight space like that i would go with CFL. HPS would smoke ur herb 4 u. line it mirrors/mylar/foil/paint em white if have too.

Latest posts

Back