Change filter around carbon scrubber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
I noticed that the filter (sleeve) that goes around the outside of the carbon scrubber was very dirty. Are these replaceable, and if so, how often should I buy a new pre filter for it? Also, is it a problem to just leave off? Thanks

If you leave it off everything else will get dusty. Its worth having on.
They are replaceable. Go anywhere and look for Honeywell prefilters. What I do, I get a big sheet and just cut it down. I get about 4 out of some of them. Only like 10 bucks.
Also use cheap Central Air filters. They actually work better in filtering particles so your carbon stays clean and working to its full potential. Just cut off the cardboard border. Wrap our filter and trim it down. Toss on a couple tiestraps or whatever holds it in place. Shazam. Done.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
If you leave it off everything else will get dusty. Its worth having on.
They are replaceable. Go anywhere and look for Honeywell prefilters. What I do, I get a big sheet and just cut it down. I get about 4 out of some of them. Only like 10 bucks.
Also use cheap Central Air filters. They actually work better in filtering particles so your carbon stays clean and working to its full potential. Just cut off the cardboard border. Wrap our filter and trim it down. Toss on a couple tiestraps or whatever holds it in place. Shazam. Done.
Awesome, sounds good! How long do these charcoal filters last, about a year?

SPEARCHUCKER said:
Go anywhere and look for Honeywell prefilters. What I do, I get a big sheet and just cut it down. I get about 4 out of some of them. Only like 10 bucks.

Do you know the dimensions of the sheets by chance? I'm very interested.

SPEARCHUCKER said:

Got me confused man. Do you use these or the above to replace the prefilter on say a Can 100 Filter?
Or are you usuing the Central Air filters for the Intake?

I have a new box NorCal. I dont know the dimensions, but its a a blanket size sheet.
Just type into Google. "Prefilter 38002" and thats the kind I have. Worth getting, already has some activated Carbon in the prefilter itself.

For that second part. I was meaning that you could use those as a prefilter to keep your stones clean. Stones get dusty or anything, they cant collect odor.

But I dont use a Canfilter style. I made my own style using a old Honeywell fan. Part where a filter goes, I took some of those Central air filters. Fold them in half, fill the middle up with carbon and seal it up.
Good thing about that way is the access to the filter is so easy. If it starts losing power. Just take it out and beat it with a hammer to bust up the charcoal and its like brand new again.

Latest posts

Back