Check your Mylar!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreepinBuzz

Reaction score
Hi all just wanted to ask and sort of confirm a myth or fact. How flamable is Mylar? A friend who I normally trust just told me of a guy that burned down his hole house because some how the mylar was to close to the light. Thats how it was told to me... so I figured this is the best source for the truth!

PeaCe

nope, even says that on the packing material.

Yo Ho CreepinBuzz,
If you are considering using the reflective mylar than be willing to play the devils advocate also. Look into any negatives about the use of the stuff, I did, and I decided to go with a flat white paint. Saves all the questions, works even better, cheap, (someone always has some left over in a can somewhere).
That being said, did you guys know that the cities take in paint, and recycle and clean and filter paint and then let you have it for free ? I have painted many of my houses this way inside and out and Haven't had to pay for paint in over 10 years. Just thought you guys might like to know how to get something for free.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

I am a professional house painter and this is only my opinion but I would think that semi gloss would work better for reflecting than flat,,, I mean, the white poly plastic with black on the other side, it's shiny also.? Anywaym, regardless of semi or flat, flat is cheaper..... 1 gal will cover approx 400SQ ft. i just used the plastic and spent about 80$,.. a gal of paint 30$.

Hey there tintala,

Please excuse us for not saying welcome to you. Welcome to the adventure, and in it I hope you find joy and contentment. We were just throwing around our ideas, and thoughts. Sure everyone has their opinion that's what makes this place so great. We are all learning so much.
Please do take an moment to peruse over the site rules, you will find them few, but good and easy to go along with. There is tons of great information in the forums, and we do invite questions about growing , and smoking. we are all about helping each other to grow better, to take fewer risks, and to be able to smoke in peace. Sharing is good, and since your the new one on the block, LOL , no-no I'm just kidding with you. You don't need to smoke out all these wonderful folks, just me and a few others, LOL, no-no wait I'm just fooling around Ha-Ha-Ha.
Bring a good sense of humor with you, and enjoy yourself.
again welcome
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

The mylar I have is like tin foil. I am not sure how it would burn. I think it would melt before anything else.

tintala said:
I am a professional house painter and this is only my opinion but I would think that semi gloss would work better for reflecting than flat,,, I mean, the white poly plastic with black on the other side, it's shiny also.? Anywaym, regardless of semi or flat, flat is cheaper..... 1 gal will cover approx 400SQ ft. i just used the plastic and spent about 80$,.. a gal of paint 30$.

I read a book that had a section on reflective materials used for growing. I can't remember the University but they did a study and found out some very usefull information. I'll see if I can dig it up...

They break it down into 3 types of material.
A. Specular
B. Diffuse
C. Spread

Break those down...

Type "A"... these are going to include Mylar and Mirrors. And I quote:
"Mylar and mirror give the best strength of light, but it is concentrated. About 90% of the light is transferred."

Type "B"... I believe this includes common fixture reflectors, hammer finish maybe included? "Equivalent to a non-shiney matte surface."

Type "C"... "Flat white surface that us duffuse with reasonable spread."

And a line up...

Foylon 94%-95%
Reflective Mylar 90%-95%
Flat White Paint 85%-93%
Semi-Gloss White 75%-80%
Flat Yellow 70%-80%
Aluminum Foil 70%-75%
Black Less than 10%

Now, as far as they talk about the ABC's... Maylar and Mirrors do reflect more... but it makes it concentrated in a way that is not as efficient as a surface that spreads the light, and it's spectrum evenly.

Color, spectrum... it really is easy. Just keep in mind that the spectrum of color it not what you see. You see the mix of color, all at once. And the color of the item you see... is it really red? Well... the only thing making that motorcycle red is the fact that it's just obsorbing a tiny fraction of that light spectrum... that is red. We don't see the red in the air, but it's there. Because that is the color that the motorcycle is, we see it.

Ok, I know that didn't quite help yet, after all that now think about obsorbing that red, that means it's passing on other colors... "Reflecting" it.

The reason Flat White is so great...

Flat: evenly distributes light:hubba:

White: reflects entire spectrum of light;)

Whew... writing all that I didn't pay attention to how much I smoked... it's time for food, later. :stoned:

Here is another CHEAP and GREAT way to go.I have been using this for quit awhile now.I use metallic wrapping paper from the dollar store.Works like a champ and if it rips,well it was a buck and its cheap enough to change right out.But,since I have been using it,I never had a problem or any tares.Keep it GREEN:hubba:

I bought Mylar space blankets from the campping section at Wal-Mart
3'x6' for less than $2.00

Laylow, thanks for the information. I also knew flat was better then semi but never understood why. I still choose semi, once you have tried to clean flat paint you will wish you lost that small % of light. :)

Latest posts

Back