desnity..density..;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zem said:
:yeahthat: it could be several things, a common mistake newbies do is rotate or move their plants too many times not allowing the bud to form dense enough because light is not hitting the budsites leaves for long enough causing fluffy bud. you should rotate once only if needed and before 20 day flowering. i try and not rotate or move them at all but sometimes with the stretch i need to change their position so i do that as early as possible. hope this helps

What in the world is this?

I have never heard of this before. Where do you get your info from?

Dang now I have to stop the wind, the rain, and the sun movement during my outdoor season? :rofl:

chuckdee123 said:
all this positivity toward Humboldt's own "gravity" has convinced me to order some.
has anybody tried Humboldt's own "purple maxx" or "bush master"?

i have not tried "puple maxx" but bought some "snow storm ultra" and can let you know in 8 weeks lol

i just used "bushmaster" on my current grow. it's a vertical grow inhibitor. it's supposed to reduce the space between nodes on new growth making the tops very dense. it's also supposed to remove the stretch that occurs when putting your plants into the bloom stage.

what i've done is towards the end of my veg stage, i used bushmasters and very light nutes for 5 days (hydro btw), then i lollipopp'd the bottom of the plants. i've been letting them veg for 7 more days and will be putting them into flower tomorrow.

bushmaster's is an experimental product and people have tried different things to get what they want. just know that it's very potent and a little can go a long way! if you use too much or for too long you'll end up killing your plants.

good luck!

I've had fluffy bud even with an outdoor grow in direct sunlight. Had to be due to poor genetics. You need everything right to produce dense bud: genetics, lighting, nutrients, plenty of air exchange.

Anyone have a link to the thread about rotating or not to rotate the plants I would like to read it. Thanks in advance, I tried a search, but that never wants to work for me...or I'm just a computer moron...lol

I always see people comparing indoor growing to outdoor environments. We are not out to replicate the outdoors, comparing indoor to outdoor has no bearing. Indoor growing is about makeing the most out of the environment for optimal yeild, an example would be that we don't slowely change light schedules, as happens in nature, we just flip them to 12/12 because that is the most effective way of doing it, a gradual light schedule would decrease yeild. And yeild is what we are after. So again...indoor growing is about manipulating the environment to get the best result.

legalize_freedom said:
a gradual light schedule would decrease yeild. And yeild is what we are after. So again...indoor growing is about manipulating the environment to get the best result.

Hello there LF! How's the world treating you today?

I don't know where the thread about the rotating plants is- but I don't know if I put too much stock in the theory that it shocks or stresses the plant. So I don't think you're going to find anything more than opinions- and we all got one of those too, :D

I agree with you 100% about manipulating the indoor environment to maximize growth- not trying to replicate the outdoors. I think, IMO, that a gradule light schedule would probably increase yield, because I think you would merely end up with a longer veg period. But if you're willing to wait for longer veg- you might as well do it right- at 24/0 or 18/6.

pcduck said:
What in the world is this?

I have never heard of this before. Where do you get your info from?

Dang now I have to stop the wind, the rain, and the sun movement during my outdoor season? :rofl:
lol... duck theres only one way to really replicate sun rotation that is light mover, we mean by rotation when indoor growers rotate them manually every week or two or more during flowering to increase buds on the other side. i tend to believe that it will dcrease the yield cuz plants take time to adjust to new light location losing you flowering time. outside the sun rises and sets almost in the same track every single day the plant will be positioned accordingly.
LF the thread was on an old growing website that has crashed so i started a thread mybe would help us gain info on this http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50653

legalize_freedom said:
Anyone have a link to the thread about rotating or not to rotate the plants I would like to read it. Thanks in advance, I tried a search, but that never wants to work for me...or I'm just a computer moron...lol

I have never seen a link and this is the very first time I have ever heard of it. The only thing I have ever seen/read is where a light breeze help strengthens the plant and helps with the moving of good stuff inside the plant, cell structure and all that white coat stuff. I do know from personal experience that plants will bend towards the light, does this create more stress or does it take away from growth somewhere else, IDK . I just think that it is a bunch of rubbish that it harms your plants and will not get dense buds if you rotate or move your plants.

zem said:
lol... duck theres only one way to really replicate sun rotation that is light mover, we mean by rotation when indoor growers rotate them manually every week or two or more during flowering to increase buds on the other side. i tend to believe that it will dcrease the yield cuz plants take time to adjust to new light location losing you flowering time. outside the sun rises and sets almost in the same track every single day the plant will be positioned accordingly.
LF the thread was on an old growing website that has crashed so i started a thread mybe would help us gain info on this http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50653

:rofl: How is the plant suppose to know if it is getting rotated or if the light source is...The sun comes up and goes down..a grower rotates their plants daily..what is the difference?

pcduck said:
:rofl: How is the plant suppose to know if it is getting rotated or if the light source is...The sun comes up and goes down..a grower rotates their plants daily..what is the difference?
plants clearly tilt towards light im sure youv seen this so it "knows" where the light source is. i guess a slight rotation every single day like 1/4 turn might be ok but i think that a 180 rotation every week or two is not... again im not sure, just wat i noticed and concluded so no arguing here :) lets not derail this thread take it to my new thread ;) http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50653

The Hemp Goddess said:
A 400W what? Do you have a reflector? Is your 6 sq ft area closed off? Do you have good air flow? What are you feeding your plants? What strain are you growing? Is your flowering space absolutely 100% totally dark?

I have a 400w "eye hortilux" enhanced spectrum super HPS light. i have reflectors on three sides (maybe i should hang another sheet on the forth side that i can move out of the way when watering, etc?) , and a fan set up with a with an opening above to let air flow. the 6 sq ft area isn't completely sealed, its in a small area that is maybe 10 sq feet, and that area is sealed (except for the vent hole)
and the only nutrient i have is Fox farm "big bloom" other then that, water.
and the space does stay 100% dark

wooo i figured out how to post a picture

fromleft to right:
bubba kush, GDP, romulan

Day5.jpg

Your light is waaayyyy too far away from your plants. You can get it much closer. Your plants will thank you.

yeah what BB said, and you need to get something reflective all the way around it, like you said, something you can move when you need to get into them, I don't see any ventilation? I would put a fan blowing air around in there to, to get your stems good and strong, and will also help to get some of the heat from the light moved from the tops of your plants...def. get the light down closer.

BB I was talking in terms of the same amount of time, I wasn't takeing into consideration, extending the veg time. I understand what you are saying, and yes extended veg time is going to equal greater yeild. My current grow will have vegged for almost 2 months, but my light will be switched to 12/12 in an instant. They were sexually mature at 4 weeks!...but I wanted to be sure I had good clones off them before I switched...should be a good yeild I hope....if I didn't screw them up by moving them around....LOLOLOLOL

Need to clean your room, get the light closer, get ventilation/fan, surround all 4 sides with reflective walls, maybe some perlite on top of the soil to guard against gnats.

legalize_freedom said:
yeah what BB said, and you need to get something reflective all the way around it, like you said, something you can move when you need to get into them, I don't see any ventilation? I would put a fan blowing air around in there to, to get your stems good and strong, and will also help to get some of the heat from the light moved from the tops of your plants...def. get the light down closer.

i moved the light closer, and will hook up the forth reflective wall in the morning when i'm not so "medicated"...:hubba:
i do have a ventilation system going, but it wasn't in view in the last pic.
some better pics are attached.

a few questions:
should i have these fans going at all times while the light is on? is it's purpose more for temp control or to keep the air moving?
and should the light keep this same distance from the plants throughout the whole grow?

PC140011-1.jpg

PC140010-1.jpg

chuckdee123 said:
i moved the light closer, and will hook up the forth reflective wall in the morning when i'm not so "medicated"...:hubba:
i do have a ventilation system going, but it wasn't in view in the last pic.
some better pics are attached.

a few questions:
should i have these fans going at all times while the light is on? is it's purpose more for temp control or to keep the air moving?
and should the light keep this same distance from the plants throughout the whole grow?

Hey Chuckdee,
I keep my fans on the whole grow. They help with temps as far as air exchange (hot air out) but as important, plants need new fresh air constantly. You can have a passive intake (vent near bottom of your reflective material) for air and use a fan for exhaust (near top), and a fan on the plants (rotating is good) The fan on the plants that moves them helps with stalk strength and this is important for health and heavy buds (to hold them up but there is always string!). Your light can very gradually move closer in your grow as they do become a little more tolerant, but not too close...if they start to burn up you'll know. :p A good rule of thumb is put your hand at the top of the canopy level of your plants, hold it there a minute and if it's not hot on your hand you're OK. Good luck ;)

You only need to run the fans while the lamps are on. Save a little electricity.

cmd420 said:
Gravity...look it up and try it out on your next grow...

Gravity, gravity, gravity and Final from the Bloom line in the yellow bottles.

Try getting some heat deflectors so you can have the lights closer.

I use these:
]hxxp://www.growell.co.uk/p/0882/Heat-Shield-Super-Spreader.html[/URL]

And these:
hxxp://www.adjustawings.com/adjustawings-main.htm[/URL]

just ordered some Gravity... if any of you have used it with good results feel free to share your technique! i've heard it's risky.

Latest posts

Back