desnity..density..;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckdee123

Roland Burnett
Reaction score
yo...i've looked through the forum and searched a bit, and couldnt find a thread about how to grow nice dense bud. my apologies in advance if this a question that has been covered already and i missed it..:)
anyway i'm pretty much brand new to growing, on my second grow, all from clones bought from my local medical marijuana dispensary.. anyways i got some pretty good results except for the fact that the buds was all loose and fluffy... growing GDP and Grape Punch i expected more density.

any tips would be appreciated...

thanks

EDIT***ahhh i would spell the title wrong! : (

Proper lighting is key to dense nugs, 5000+ lumens per sq ft. Proper nutrients, proper watering, proper pest control and proper pH along with a handful of other things will all be important also. Start by making yourself at home in our forums and doing lots of reading, especially the stickies at the top of each sub forum.

What kind of light are you using?

:welcome: been samplin the grow?:hubba:
more info needed, ie soil/hydro, lights, nutes, PH, etc. $
:postpicsworthless:

:yeahthat: it could be several things, a common mistake newbies do is rotate or move their plants too many times not allowing the bud to form dense enough because light is not hitting the budsites leaves for long enough causing fluffy bud. you should rotate once only if needed and before 20 day flowering. i try and not rotate or move them at all but sometimes with the stretch i need to change their position so i do that as early as possible. hope this helps

Gravity...look it up and try it out on your next grow...

GMO..Ironlungs..zem..cmd420

good lookin on the info, i need to study up on this. i'm not even knowing about lumans at this point haha, all i know is i have a 400w light over three plants, in maybe a 6 square foot area. thanks for pointing me in a direction to start looking up and learning...

cmd420 said:

yeah, that's a humbolt county's own product. i havent used it yet, but friends have with great sucess.

400w HPS? If so that should be about 50,000 lumens. Maybe a little more if using a digital ballast or high end bulb. That would mean you have about 8300 lumens per sq ft. Nice! My next question would be, what is your intake/exhaust system like? Whats your temperature? How far away are the tops of the plants from the bulb?

Can't believe nobody mentioned co2

cmd420 said:

Yep^^^

More lighting is always good but Gravity is very helpful, and cheap.

chuckdee123 said:
all i know is i have a 400w light over three plants, in maybe a 6 square foot area.
you have enough lumens you need 50watt/sq.ft to grow good so you've got more. you need the light close to plants and good reflection on walls pics will be helpful cheers :)

cmd420 said:

Love this stuff! Used it and snow storm ultra on my last grow...wonderful additives both of them!

with the 400 you should have had plenty of light for your grow, how far away was your light from the top of your plants? Also it may have been their diet...what are you feeding, or you could have just had junk genetics to.

ZEM, not trying to start an argument, so no need to feel like you need to defend yourself, but do you have any scientific basis to back up your theory on moving, or rotating your plants and the production of dense buds??? I'm just wondering, because I know alot of people rotate, and move to water etc, and grow incredibly dense nugs. This is the first time I have heard that we shouldn't rotate or move our plants...where did you get your information?

hey there LF :) no i dont have scientific proof for this, it might be in some book i dunno, been advised not to rotate by several growers and it seemed that my buds got denser i found it logical, IronLungs explained it, i used to rotate them the buds on the other side would take so long to pick up and it resulted in smaller overall yield fluffy buds. this topic needs a thread by itself cuz it is interesting, there was a thread on it long ago and general consensus then was that rotation is no good

gmo said:
400w HPS? If so that should be about 50,000 lumens. Maybe a little more if using a digital ballast or high end bulb. That would mean you have about 8300 lumens per sq ft. Nice! My next question would be, what is your intake/exhaust system like? Whats your temperature? How far away are the tops of the plants from the bulb?

haha good news! thanks for figuring that out for me.

i'm currently doing 18 hour cycles of light which usually has the area at around 80-85 degrees. and i think at night it may be early 60's...i'll check tonight. and the light is set up about 12-16 inches above the plants. :)

all this positivity toward Humboldt's own "gravity" has convinced me to order some.
has anybody tried Humboldt's own "purple maxx" or "bush master"?

Posted by Zem it could be several things, a common mistake newbies do is rotate or move their plants too many times not allowing the bud to form dense enough because light is not hitting the budsites leaves for long enough causing fluffy bud. you should rotate once only if needed and before 20 day flowering. i try and not rotate or move them at all but sometimes with the stretch i need to change their position so i do that as early as possible. hope this helps

Here is my thought on this, the sun rises and sets right?

Not sure on this one because I don't use/have one but a light mover. People use them to spred light right???

Wouldn't all this be the same as moving plants around??? IMO

Your ganna get 100 'opinions' but the two main factors will always be: light density and the strain of coarse...Even light distribution is key IMO.

Hello chuckdee123! Welcome to the forum.

Were your conditions the same on your first grow (that resulted in fluffy buds)? Your temps are a bit on the high side at 85 degrees and your plant will spend alot of energy trying to cool (respiration) itself. Make sure you're bringing in some cool fresh air to your space. With proper air exchange, you can keep that 400 watter within 8" of your canopy.

Because, as the others said- lighting is the key for dense buds- above all else. But that goes for vegging too. The big dense buds we love are made up of a group of flowers growing together to form one large bud.

If you don't have tight node spacing when you start to flower, it will be difficult to get dense buds. 400 watt MH/HPS is more than sufficient for 3 plants in a 6 foot area and should produce good results for you.

Happy Growing!

chuckdee123 said:
GMO..Ironlungs..zem..cmd420

good lookin on the info, i need to study up on this. i'm not even knowing about lumans at this point haha, all i know is i have a 400w light over three plants, in maybe a 6 square foot area. thanks for pointing me in a direction to start looking up and learning...

A 400W what? Do you have a reflector? Is your 6 sq ft area closed off? Do you have good air flow? What are you feeding your plants? What strain are you growing? Is your flowering space absolutely 100% totally dark?

chuckdee123 said:
yo...i've looked through the forum and searched a bit, and couldnt find a thread about how to grow nice dense bud.

:holysheep::holysheep::holysheep: :eek: :eek: :eek: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore:
This whole web is for growing the best buds we can...Why do you think they call it Marijuana Passion?

Latest posts

Back