Dirty Ph Tester

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto-Man

Noli urinae contra ventus
Reaction score
Hi everyone, what's the best way to clean accumulated crud from the inisde of a Ph tester?

Thanks!

photo.JPG

pipe cleaner...Q-tip..and ISO..than recalibrate...I bet ya getting all sorts of readings with that yuck...take care and be safe

i use a soft brisle toothbrush with softsoap like a drop of soap on the brush.

orangesunshine said:
all the cleaning in the world aint gonna fix a worn out electrode

Hmm, which begs the question, how long does said electrode last?

I did wash with small bristle brush and Palmolive, and thx for the suggestion to recalibrate 4U2(!) I would not have necessarily thought of that.

Cheers,

It all depends on how well you clean and maintain your equipment. With frequent calibration and sanitation it will last quite some time. IMO I wouldn't let it get that bad again if you can avoid it.....you'll have more accurate readings and better control.

i have been told that if the electrode remains cloudy after cleaning than it is shot---they also say to store it wet in the 4.01 calibration solution to prolong its accuracy and life span

os, normally i would agree with you, but that is an el cheapo milwaukee ph meter, and storing it in anything other than tap water will diminish its life span greatly...no corrector, no rh water, just plain ol tap...that exact meter was made to last approximately one year, then be replaced, but with proper care will last you several years...

also, those will lose balance even faster if you are checking the ph of every liquid in your house with them such as coffee, tea, milk, prune juice, hi-c, etc...believe it or not, most newbs do exactly that because they don't know any better...lol...(we've seen it all)...:rolleyes:

a tip on making a diy holder for that meter is to get a small glass jar with a screw on plastic lid, and cut out a rectangle hole in jar lid that will hold meter suspended in the jar of tap water...change that water out weekly and your golden...(unless you have very hard water, then wash out jar more often)...

and thats the rest of my .02...;)

Latest posts

Back