Draining an enclosed reservoir

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
Okay, this is going to sound goofy, but how do you drain an enclosed reservoir? I use another submersible aquarium pump identical to the water-circulating pump, except with a PVC tube attached to it which drains into a 5 gallon bucket.

When I was doing DWC I used a battery operated kerosene transfer pump into a bucket. Lightweight, cheap, and portable.

bilge pump...Home depot...like 10 bux...hand operated.....But than again...why dont ya just use the pump you use to fill the buckets?

I have a larger pump that is similar to my watering pumps. I have 1/2" clear plastic hose connected to it that is 3' long. I use this for transferring water from buckets to rez or for draining rez. When draining, I connect a 20' water hose to it and run it out into the yard so that I don't have to carry the buckets out. It is like a 600gph so it sucks it out pretty quick :)

Hushpuppy said:
I have a larger pump that is similar to my watering pumps. I have 1/2" clear plastic hose connected to it that is 3' long. I use this for transferring water from buckets to rez or for draining rez. When draining, I connect a 20' water hose to it and run it out into the yard so that I don't have to carry the buckets out. It is like a 600gph so it sucks it out pretty quick :)

i do the same, but i dont have any really big res, so i do it with a 196gph. small pump but still only takes 15 mins to empty and refill

Yeah if you have resevoirs to fill and empty periodically, it sucks to have to carry buckets of water constantly. I helped my Bro lay pipe to bring water right into his grow house and set up a system with 2 30gal plastic barrels so he doesn't have to tote any water. :)

While I don't do hydro, I have been thinking about trying DWC, and was going to use these, for buckets, so they can be easily drained.
hxxp://www.midwestsupplies.com/bottling-bucket-with-spigot.html

Hope this helps someone.
HomieHogleg

I do 8 bucket RDWC with about 30 gallons total and i use a 900 gpm mag drive(did not buy it for this but works great for it) with 3/4 in hose to my sink to drain the system takes about 2 min lol, shop vac dry the rest !! 10 min to refill and i'm good to go for another week !!

I was thinking of drilling a hole in a Rubbermaid tank and adding a 6.5 rubber plug and spigot (old school homebrewer here).

YYZ Skinhead said:
I was thinking of drilling a hole in a Rubbermaid tank and adding a 6.5 rubber plug and spigot (old school homebrewer here).
Yep, it is funny how the two hobbies cross over so well. :icon_smile:

HomieHogleg

Latest posts

Back